Softwood lumber problem ending?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Softwood lumber deal appears close

BARRIE MCKENNA AND STEVEN CHASE

From Tuesday's Globe and Mail

Canada and the United States appear very close to a historic breakthrough in the enduring softwood lumber dispute.

Industry sources who have been briefed on the discussions told The Globe and Mail that U.S. President George W. Bush called Stephen Harper on the weekend to outline an offer. In it the United States would lift duties on Canadian lumber and return most of the $5-billion it has collected from Canadian lumber companies.

In a complex arrangement that would include both a quota and an export tax, Canada would agree to cap its share of the U.S. lumber market at one third, which is roughly the current level.

Mr. Harper is particularly anxious to put the lumber dispute behind him before a possible state visit to Washington in the coming months.

Canadian representatives briefed select Canadian industry officials on the key elements of the U.S. offer yesterday, according to a Canadian industry source.

Mr. Bush wants to remove a long-standing irritant from relations with his country's largest trading partner and get a deal before U.S. Trade Representative Rob Portman moves to the White House as budget director. Mr. Harper has made repairing strained Canada-U.S. relations a priority.

Canadian and U.S. negotiating teams, headed by Michael Wilson, the Canadian ambassador to Washington, and Susan Schwab, the deputy U.S. Trade Representative, have been engaged in intense negotiations in Washington over the past several days.

U.S. officials would confirm only that negotiations are going on.

"We continue to believe that a negotiated settlement provides the only durable, long-term solution to this dispute," said Neena Moorjani, a spokeswoman for Mr. Portman. "We are continuing to discuss this possibility with Canada."

Canadian officials characterized talk of a deal as "speculation."

"Any numbers that might arise from this speculation can't be considered fact," said an aide to Trade Minister David Emerson Monday.

The U.S. proposal would leave many key issues subject to future negotiation.

And the Canadian lumber exporting provinces, led by British Columbia, plus the Canadian and U.S. industries, would also have to agree.

Canada and the U.S. have been embroiled in legal disputes ever since the U.S. slapped duties on Canadian softwood lumber more than four years ago to counter what it says are steep subsidies and dumping.

The two countries continue to battle in court over the level of the U.S. duties, which have been whittled down to less than 10 per cent from nearly 30 per cent as a result of Canadian legal victories.

A looming deadline on Thursday appears to be the immediate catalyst for unveiling a framework deal now. That's the day the Bush administration must decide whether to challenge a NAFTA panel ruling that ordered the United States to cut the main component of its duty to zero.

Canada has won a string of legal decisions before NAFTA tribunals, but has had mixed success fighting its case at the World Trade Organization.

Is it just me,

or is this a bit of politicking to help Harper get a majority?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Is it just me,
or is this a bit of politicking to help Harper get a majority?

Probably it is a little bit of that.

But can you blame them? After 12 years of the Yankee-bashing Liberals?

At least Harper gets results on this important issue.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I wouldn't hold your breath on this one. It all depends what kind of "deal" will be made. Harper could agree to something that seems like he is kneeling in front of Bush. Wait and see.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Didn't Bush throw Martin a bone on this issue just before Christmas?

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
I think this issue will be put to bed when Bush agrees to deliver two Quarter Horses, four signed Cow Boy Hats, and his dog to Harper. Harper in turn will give Bush one Beaver pelt, one seal pelt and Shiela Copps. I'm just guessing people.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Sassylassie said:
I think this issue will be put to bed when Bush agrees to deliver two Quarter Horses, four signed Cow Boy Hats, and his dog to Harper. Harper in turn will give Bush one Beaver pelt, one seal pelt and Shiela Copps. I'm just guessing people.

Shiela Copps?

Dead or Alive?

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Sassylassie said:

Poor Bev, I'm gonna miss him. :cry:

Think we could get a bottle of rye out of the deal?

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Colpy said:
Sassylassie said:

Shiela Copps?

Dead or Alive?

Alive, fully equipped with a whip, fishnets and leather cap.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Said1, I'm holding out for a bottle of 40 year old double malted scotch or there will be no Softwood Lumber deal.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Sassylassie said:
Said1, I'm holding out for a bottle of 40 year old double malted scotch or there will be no Softwood Lumber deal.

Sure, think of yourself only. It's all aboot you! :lol:

Does scotch mix with gingerale?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
But can you blame them? After 12 years of the Yankee-bashing Liberals?

Hell, Mulroney kissed American but for at least nine years and gave away half the country. It looks like Harper will give the other half.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Said1 said:
Sassylassie said:

Sure, think of yourself only. It's all aboot you! :lol:

Does scotch mix with gingerale?

Scotch mixes with anything....it's paint thinner! :p

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Said1 said:
Sassylassie said:

Poor Bev, I'm gonna miss him. :cry:

Think we could get a bottle of rye out of the deal?

Not to worry Said1 I ain't going anywhere and niether is this softwood nondeal, the way the American dollar is going we will need to be paid in gold.