UK Cracks Down on Wild Parties

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
U.K. crackdown on wild bachelor parties abroad
Britons to be charged for seeking government's help when things go wrong

LONDON - The Foreign Office is planning to crack down on the “appalling” behavior of some British bachelor party tourists abroad, according to a report on Thursday.

It plans to increase the number of cases in which it levies a charge for helping out when things go wrong.

The Foreign Office (FCO), which provides travel advice and support to U.K. residents abroad, charged for its services in just 323 out of 84,000 assisted cases in 2004-05, according to the parliamentary Public Accounts Committee report.

“FCO consular staff increasingly have to deal with the appalling results of British tourists carousing abroad,” said committee chairman, Edward Leigh.

“Where our nationals have landed themselves in trouble as a result of their own irresponsibility, the FCO should not hesitate to charge them for its services,” he added.

Cheap flights to blame?
The number of overseas visits by Britons increased by six percent to 65 million in 2004-2005, with a further 13 million living abroad, the report said.

It blamed an increase in anti-social behavior on holiday on the growing number of no-frills airlines offering cheap flights.

Committee member Kitty Ussher said, “If low prices open the market to more individuals and groups who are often looking to celebrate, then it is inevitable that there is going to be an increase of anti-social behavior on the continent.”

Bachelor and bachelorette parties, many of which are held abroad, were cited as a growing problem.

“It would certainly concentrate the minds of people in stag (bachelor) parties if they thought they were going to be charged ... for getting lost and having to be rescued by the consulate,” said committee member, Ian Davidson.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
RE: UK Cracks Down on Wil

Hehe, part of the fun of going to another nation is acting like a total jackass....at least in my opinion. Granted i've never needed to call the Canadian Consulate, but i've chalked up a lengthy list "non-Canadians" who i'm sure still lay awake at night cursing my name. You only live once :)

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Violent Crime Per 100,000 People.

New Zealand - 133
United States - 506
Australia - 942
Canada - 982
Britain - 1390

*The percentage of the population that suffered "contact crime" -
Britain - 3.6%
US - 1.9%
Japan - 0.4%

% of people who have been victims of violent assaults -
Britain - 3% (highest in Western World)
US - 1.2%
Austria - 0.8%
Italy - 0.2%
Japan - 0.1%

"The most recent crime statistics from the Home Office show that in 1998 there were 963 offences of violence against the person for every 100,000 people in Britain. In America, according to Bureau of Justice figures for the same year, the rate was 566 per 100,000 inhabitants. It would seem that Britain is about twice as dangerous as the US. In addition, a criminal, once caught, is six times more likely to be jailed in America." (In Britain, we love violence so much that a prisoner is released not long after)
(Home Office)

Although, strangely, despite all this violence, our murder rate is one of the lowest in the world and only Japan has a lower suicide rate.

Violence and drunkenness is just British nature. The British just wouldn't be British if our streets weren't filled with drunken vandals beating up passers-by and produce torrents of vomit rolling along the gutters.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
RE: UK Cracks Down on Wil

Violence and drunkenness is just British nature. The British just wouldn't be British if our streets weren't filled with drunken vandals beating up passers-by and produce torrents of vomit rolling along the gutters.

Here, here, that's why I love the nation :p