Hospital patient killed in cigarette fireball.

Patient Engulfed in Cigarette Fireball

Smoking kills: The patient died after lighting a cigarette while covered in a flammable gel.

An investigation has been launched after a hospital patient being treated with a flammable gel for a skin condition died after being engulfed in flames as he lit a cigarette.

It is thought the 60-year-old man was having a cigarette on a fire escape near his ward at Doncaster Royal Infirmary in South Yorkshire when the tragedy happened.

He was taken to the Northern General Hospital in Sheffield with serious burns but later died from his injuries.

It is understood that hospital staff followed the correct procedures and the incident was being treated as a tragic accident.

Nigel Clifton, chief executive of Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, said: "This is a most tragic event. Our hearts go out to his family."

The trust said it would not be releasing any further details about the incident.

Officials refused to confirm the skin condition for which the man was being treated.

A spokesman for South Yorkshire Police said: "A 60-year-old-male patient sustained fatal injuries after being involved in a fire at Doncaster Royal Infirmary.

"An investigation has taken place, there appears to be no suspicious circumstances. A report will be prepared for the coroner."

A spokeswoman for the trust added: "An investigation has been launched. Counselling will be made available to staff, patients and family members if required." (external - login to view)
It is amazing that untill fairly recently patients were allowed to smoke in hospitals, including in their beds by oxygen tanks!!!
Another nomination for the "Darwin" awards.........

Similar Threads

Big Tobacco Wins With Cigarette Replacement
by Liberalman | Apr 7th, 2010
The fireball of Canada
by eanassir | Dec 22nd, 2008
Fireball Lights Up Prairie Skies
by givpeaceachance | Nov 21st, 2008
no new posts