Hello? Kitty?

I think not
N.Y. rescuers pull out the stops
Drills, mini cameras, raw fish used in search for cat in deli basement wall

NEW YORK - Rescuers used drills, miniature cameras and a raw fish Wednesday to try to lure a kitten that has been trapped for 12 days behind a delicatessen’s basement wall.

The effort to free 11-month-old Molly, the deli’s resident mouser, was renewed early in the day, when workers heard her meowing after days of silence that had raised fears she had died.

An animal-rescue team tried using a tiny video camera attached to a plumber’s snake on Wednesday, but the sound of its drill may have spooked the peripatetic *****cat into retreating farther into the maze of walls in the 19th century brick structure in Greenwich Village.

“This is the most difficult case of this kind I’ve ever been on,” said Mike Pastore, field director of Animal Care & Control of New York City, which handles animal rescues for the city.

Normally Molly sleeps in a basket inside Myers of Keswick, a specialty deli offering clotted cream, Scotch eggs and other British foods.

Owner Peter Myers, 61, said he periodically pays a $300 fine for the health violation, “but if I didn’t have the cat I would be paying a $300 fine for having mice in the store. I saw a mouse running across the kitchen floor this morning.”

Molly, being a curious sort, apparently got trapped after slipping into a narrow space between two buildings, then falling or crawling through a hole to reach the deli cellar, Pastore said.

The police and fire departments have been on the scene but as of Wednesday were leaving the job to Pastore, whose agency receives about 120 stray or surrendered dogs and cats a day for temporary care and adoption.

Breaking into the walls is a delicate proposition because the building is a city landmark, Pastore said. Three observers from the city’s Landmarks Preservation Commission showed up Wednesday to make sure no serious structural damage occurs.

Others were pitching in to help. Neighbors left cans of cat food on the steps, and nearby restaurateur Renato Migliorini delivered a fresh, whole branzino fish.

“I hope it will come out, because I love cats and dogs,” Migliorini said.

Pastore wasn’t sure Molly could reach the food, and it was unclear whether she has access to water dripping from a drain.
I think not
Trapped NYC cat enters Day 13 of captivity
Rescuers work to find Molly the mouser in walls of 19th century building

NEW YORK - With Molly the fugitive feline sending out distress calls from a few feet — or maybe just inches — away, animal rescue and city experts tried anew on Thursday to lure the 11-month-old black cat from the innards of a 19th century building where she has been trapped for nearly two weeks.

The low-key drama, with no end in sight, was playing out in the basement wall and ceiling of a Greenwich Village delicatessen, where Molly had been official house mouser until wandering into a narrow space between walls and becoming lost in what rescue supervisor Mike Pastore described as "a maze of beams and pipes, going every which way."

With city building officials on hand to supervise, more bricks were hammered out in the cellar of the 157-year-old, four-story building on Hudson Street. The edifice is part of a landmarked historic district where alterations are prohibited without official permission.

Pastore said he hoped Molly's situation would be seen as enough of an emergency "so that we can knock out a few more bricks."

Kittens to the rescue
In another move, two kittens were brought to the scene in a carryon cage, in hopes that their mewing might trigger Molly's maternal instincts enough to draw her out.

Pastore, field director for Animal Care & Control, a private organization with a city contract to handle lost, injured and unwanted animals, said the rescue was the most difficult in his experience. "I've done this dozens of times — even in zero neighborhoods where you're lucky to get out alive," he said.

Molly's meowing could be heard so clearly on the sidewalk outside the building that it seemed she might be a foot or less inside the wall, though blocked from view by vertical studs and other obstructions.

"She's right there," said Pastore. "I'd like to be able to reach in and grab a piece of fur. That's what's so frustrating."

On Wednesday, bricks had been carefully removed at various spots to give Molly an escape route. Molly stayed put. Pastore's team later got a fleeting look at Molly through a tiny video camera snaked into the crawl space, but could not reach her. A cage, baited with food, was left overnight. Molly didn't bite. Even catnip, the feline aphrodisiac, had no effect on the timorous tabby.

Television reporters solicited the views of dog walkers and other passersby who paused to watch the activity that was making headlines across the United States and abroad.

"I think she's really scared, but I think she will come out," offered Katherine Mehta, 10, who was walking her small dog, Pepito, with baby sitter Philomena Brady.

Stress from therapist?
On Thursday, a self-described "cat therapist," Carole Wilbourne, knelt on the sidewalk next to the building's outer wall and tried to coax Molly out with what she hoped were soothing words.

"I hear you, sweetheart," she cooed. "Come on, Molly, you can do it.... Everybody wants you to come out.... Nobody's going to hurt you."

After a few minutes, one of Pastore's aides, wearing a surgical mask, emerged from the dusty cellar and asked Wilbourne to stop. "I think you're stressing her out," she said.

Wilbourne complied, saying that she had been trying to "give inspiration" to the wayward cat. "I care," she told reporters. "I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't."

Amid the activity, business went on inside Myers of Keswick, a delicatessen that specializes in meat pies, clotted cream and other British food specialties. "I'm very busy," said proprietor Peter Myers, who opened the store 20 years ago and kept Molly to catch mice.

Pastore said the search for Molly was only one of the current concerns at Animal Care & Control, coinciding with the recovery of a male sheep in Queens and a wild turkey, named Hetta Gobbler, that was roaming the grounds of a Manhattan apartment complex, and was to be released into a park on Friday.
Are you an animal lover, ITN?

I wonder if left to its own devices the cat would have come out.

Years ago my cat fell down a storm sewer drain. For hours we tried to get him out enticing him with food, taking the cover off and trying to find him. Finally we gave up and turned to find him sitting on the lawn behind us watching what we were up to. He had wandered through the sewer to find another exit.
I think not
Yes very much so. I've had kitties all my life so I am a bit interested in this news. I had a similar situation once, where my cat found an opening through the basemant and started crawling through the walls, it was a nightmare trying to get her out. I ran out of options several hours later and was about to call the Fire Department at which point she found her way out. So I can relate to this story, I might actually take a walk down there later on tonight.
Yeah, cats are amazing animals. They apparently sense the magnetic fields of the earth for directional location. I saw an experiment once where they put cats in covered mazes and they always came out the exit in the direction of their homes. Then they put them in with magnets attached to them and the cats completely lost their sense of direction and got stuck in the mazes.
One of my cats was locked in someone's old garage for five weeks in Feb/Mar and survived. The other one died.
The article didn't say if she had been spayed.... She is 11 months old - cats begin estrus around 6-8 months and gestate at 63 days or approximatley 2 months.....just about right for motherhood. Although I don't know any cat owner who could stand caring for a cat in estrus with all the boyfriends showing up....and they spray everywhere....nature is so insistent with these felines. But...

..she may be pregnant and hid away to birth her kits. If that is so she would refuse food and people until she was satisfied. Some wilder cats will return to their feral ways and hide until they are certain their newborn are safe enough to show the world.

Twelve days isn't too long and the weather is warming up for her...
Humans who love critters always seem to me to be very special people.
Kinda straying from the topic but I just saw one of those rehash disaster shows on the Korean department store that collapsing trapping and killing many people. One trapped girl survived for seventeen days without food, just surviving on the water dribbling through from them spraying water on the wreckage to dampen the dust.

They figure that part of the reason she stayed alive was that she thought she had just been trapped for 3- 4 days and so still had hope of rescue.
It's lucky it wasn't in Canada.

When I was about 7 or 8 years old, my dad found this tiny, little baby bird that had fallen out of its nest. I think it fell out of a tree that was across the road. So he brought it into the house and he looked after it for a few days, feeding it milk from a little syringe-like thing. It was completely hairless.

After 3 or 4 days, it died. Now that I look back, I don't know why he didn't phone the RSPCA.
I think not
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf

It's lucky it wasn't in Canada.

I think not
Rescuers Get Green Light To Take Down Wall To Save Molly The Cat

April 14, 2006

Workers are now removing the basement walls of a landmarked Manhattan building brick by brick in their latest efforts to rescue Molly the cat, who has been trapped for nearly two weeks.

The city's Landmarks Preservation Commission has given the owner of the historic 157-year-old building permission to do whatever is necessary to save the cat, despite the building's landmarked status.

For the past two weeks, Molly, an 11-month-old cat, has been stuck behind the wall of a Manhattan store, despite rescue crews' best efforts to lure her out.

"If we're poking, process of elimination, eliminating certain holes or certain areas, under the flooring, in between beams, we thought sooner or later we would run into her, if she was stuck,” said Mike Pastore of NYC Animal Care & Control. “But I think, you know, she hears a little noise, backs around, then we move to another area. It's pretty large, large terrain down there."

About 40 rescuers have used cat food, fish, even new-age music brought by a "cat-expert" to try to get out her out, all to no avail.

Crews are also continuing to set harmless traps to try to lure her out.
I hope Molly wasn't just looking for a quiet rendevous...with some studly male who won her heart...

She isn't gonna appreciate the intervention heehee...

Nevertheless I love stories like this where all the big huge men save a little critter....god make more people like this please!

NEW YORK Apr 14, 2006 (AP)— Molly the cat is finally free. After two weeks stuck behind a brick wall in a 19th century Greenwich Village building, workers rescued the bashful 11-month-old feline from her plight late Friday, according to Jean Tannenbaum, a spokeswoman for Animal Care & Control of New York City.

Representatives of Animal Care & Control, a private organization with a city contract to handle lost, injured and unwanted animals, have worked alongside a team of rescuers to drill and hammer out bricks in the cellar of the 157-year-old building to get Molly out.

They used special cameras, set out traps and even tried using kittens to appeal to the cat's maternal side. On Friday, a pet psychic showed up.

Molly usually spends her time at Myers of Keswick, a delicatessen housed in the building. Proprietor Peter Myers opened the store which specializes in meat pies, clotted cream and other British food specialties 20 years ago and kept Molly to catch mice.

No wonder she ran away if she was expected to eat New York mice (ick)....I hope he fed her other food besides what she was supposed to hunt down.
I love a happy ending.
I think not

There's a short video at the link below.
Trapped NYC cat rescued on 14th day of vigil
When pet psychic fails, old-fashioned elbow grease frees Molly the mouser

NEW YORK - Molly the cat is finally free.

After two weeks stuck behind a brick wall in a 19th century building, the bashful 11-month-old feline was rescued from her plight Friday night by a volunteer who found her wedged in a crawl space between bricks and a piece of sheet metal.

At the end of the ordeal, the black cat emerged from the building lying in a metal cage — calm and docile as cameras flashed and onlookers cooed.

“I think you’ll all agree that she is in great shape,” said Peter Myers, who owns the delicatessen housed in the building and kept Molly in his store to catch mice.

Her first meal? Nibbles of roasted pork, sardines in oil and water, Myers said.

Hearty fare, but perhaps not surprising for a feline who spends her time in Myers of Keswick, a deli specializing in meat pies, clotted cream and other British food specialties.

Molly’s ordeal became international news this week as reporters and onlookers gathered to hear her distressed meows. Rescuers drilled and hammered out bricks in the cellar of the 157-year-old building and tried everything from special cameras to traps to get her out.

They even tried using kittens as bait to appeal to Molly’s maternal side. A pet psychic and self-described “cat therapist” offered their aid. But it appeared that good, old-fashioned elbow grease ended up doing the job.

Rescuers drilled a hole in the wall from inside the store, cutting through three layers of brick to get to Molly, said Mike Pastore, field director for Animal Care & Control, a private organization with a city contract to handle lost, injured and unwanted animals.

She was finally retrieved by a tunnel worker who was working on a project nearby and has been volunteering for the rescue effort.

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12306100/ (external - login to view)