Canadian soldier killed

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
A Canadian soldier was killed early Wednesday when Taliban insurgents attacked a coalition outpost in a remote area outside Kandahar, Afghanistan.

An American soldier and three more Canadian soldiers were also injured in the attack.

Pte. Robert Costall was killed in a battle which took place in Helmand province about 110 kilometres northwest of Kandahar, Canadian Forces Brig.-Gen. David Fraser confirmed early Wednesday.

Fraser said Costall died "defending his fellow soldiers and we will not forget his sacrifice."

Born in Thunder Bay, Ont., Costall was with the 1st Battalion of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, based in Edmonton. He was believed to be 22.

The Canadians, along with U.S. helicopters and British planes, had been repositioned to a base in the area in response to an incident on Tuesday in which eight Afghan army soldiers were killed. The region is a flashpoint for insurgent activity and the illegal drug trade.

Fraser said Taliban insurgents attacked the base with mortars, grenades and small arms fire early Wednesday.

The firefight lasted for several hours, he said, adding that a "significant number" of Taliban members were killed during the battle. U.S. military reports say as many as 32 insurgents died.

An Afghan National Army soldier was also wounded.

The three Canadians injured were in stable condition with non-life threatening injuries, he added. The Department of Defence said it wouldn't release their identities because they are expected to return to duty.

"They're doing well and receiving good treatment," said Fraser, who commands a multinational force in Kandahar, including about 2,300 Canadian troops.

The injured soldiers were taken to a coalition medical facility in Kandahar for treatment.

The region is key to the Taliban's communication lines, said coalition spokesperson Col. Chris Vernon. Insurgents have been carrying out nightly attacks against the base for the past month, he said.

"It's a pretty thorny area," he said.

About 2,000 British troops are due to move into the region in the next couple of months.

Twelve Canadians have been killed in Afghanistan since 2002 – 11 soldiers and one diplomat.

Earlier this month, Cpl. Paul Davis of Bridgewater, N.S., and Master Cpl. Timothy Wilson of Grande Prairie, Alta., were killed when their light armoured vehicle smashed into a taxi and flipped during a routine patrol near Kandahar.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2006/03/28/kandahar060328.html

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
ITN

Wanted to put his sweet face on the forum for you - for those who don't pursue links....

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
RIP

"We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields."

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Unsure, but I am sure to his parents it is probably too young to say good bye to their son.

I think personally if you are committed to go overseas you should go.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
A sad day for the Canadian Military and the family of the Canadian Soldier. It's also a sad day for The U.S. Military and the family of the American Soldier.

The Canadian Soldier's sacrifice was not in vain as the sacrifices before him by other Canadian Soldiers in Afghanistan were not in vain.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Canadian Soldier Died Defending Outpost In Bold Assault by Afghan Militants.

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (CP) - What was most unusual was the ferocity of the Taliban's frontal assault on the remote desert outpost where Canadian troops fought possibly their deadliest battle in more than 30 years.

It was not a shadowy ambush with a suicide attacker or a remote-controlled bomb, but a brazen assault with mortars, rocket-propelled grenades and blazing guns on the newly established military outpost in the Sangin district of Helmand province, 110 kilometres from Kandahar City.

Pte. Robert Costall, 22, of Thunder Bay, Ont., died Wednesday in fighting off the attack, becoming the first Canadian soldier killed in Afghanistan in the kind of head-to-head combat that is more the forte of western armies than Taliban militants, who have often used guerrilla tactics.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/29032006...ng-outpost-bold-assault-afghan-militants.html

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
RE: Canadian soldier kill

where Canadian troops fought possibly their deadliest battle in more than 30 years.

I think anyone that knows Canadian military history would disagree. In the Battle of the Medak Pocket in Croatia, September 1993, the 2nd Battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry held off an entire Croatian Mechanized Brigade (2,500 troops with tanks and artillery). The battle raged off and on for the better part of 2 days, with one 15 hour fire fight being so intense that the entire sky was light like it was day. The end result of Medak was:

0 Canadians Killed in Action
4 Canadians Wounded in Action

127 Croatians Killed in Action
100 Croatians Wounded in Action
5 Croatians Taken Prisoner

For their actions at Medak the 2nd Battalion received the Commander-in-Chief Unit Commendation from the Governor General of Canada.

As a side note:

The 2nd Battalion PPCLI received a similar citation from the U.S. President during the Korean War for their gallant stand at the Battle of Kapyong alongside Australian and New Zealanders against a Chinese Infantry Division numbering over 11,000 men

End Result of Kapyong:

31 Australians Killed in Action
59 Australians Wounded in Action
3 Australians Captured

10 Canadians Killed in Action
23 Canadians Wounded in Action

2 New Zealanders Killed in Action
5 New Zealanders Wounded in Action

1371 Chinese Killed in Action (confirmed post-war by China)
500+ Wounded (number unknown for sure as Allied Forces were forced to withdrawl on day 3 and China has no exact record)

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
just wondering if there are any government tables suggesting what the proper kill ratios are for our troops? for example: I Canadian soldier =10 enemy . And, if so, are we meeting the minimum requirements?

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
I highly doubt there is any official documentation vis-a-vis "acceptable kill rations". I myself find 1 Canadian death to be tragic in the greater sense. However I accept that casualties will happen, it's a part of warfare. I'm sure the Canadian Government has a rough idea as to what they deem acceptable, or perhaps more along the lines of sustainability. If every time a group of Canadians left the camp we saw 50 or 60 killed, I highly doubt we'd deem that acceptable, and definitely not sustainable.

Now as for meeting the requirements. Since 2001, 11 Canadian soldiers have been killed while in Afghanistan. That isn't a lot considering in past conflicts Canada has taken substantially more than that number in a few hours, i.e. Dieppe where we lost 907 men KIA in less than 12 hours. It becomes even less significant when one considers the fact that 3 of those killed were in vehicle accidents and another 4 were due to friendly fire by the United States. That leaves 4 of the 11 killed as a direct result of enemy action. While i'm not saying the deaths of the other 7 don't count, i'm merely pointing out that in the case of 3, their vehicle accidents could have occured back here in Canada. As for the 4 friendly fire victims, a similar situation could have occured in Canada as well. When people work with explosives and live ordnance, accidents happen.

Bottom line. I myself don't think there is anything called an "acceptable loss ratio", because to me, 1 of my fellow countrymen coming home in a pine box doesn't sit well with me.