Rabbi calls for 'UN of religions'

I think not
The Chief Rabbi of Israel, Yona Metzger, has called for the creation of a world body with representatives from the major religious groups.

Rabbi Metzger was addressing the International Congress of Imams and Rabbis for Peace in Seville, Spain.

He called for the formation of a "United Nations of religious groups".

The Imam of Gaza, Imad al-Faluji, said politicians lied but religious leaders had a different objective - to work towards a higher good.

The imams and rabbis at this conference, which opened on Sunday, say the world is in crisis and it is time they acted to restore justice, respect and peace.

Straight talking

The delegates have made it very clear that now is the time for concrete initiatives.

At the opening ceremony Rabbi Yona Metzger said his idea of a "United Nations of religious groups" could "bring a bridge between religions to help the bridge of the diplomatic way".

That plan has broad support from key participants like Frederico Major, the co-president of the Alliance for Civilisations, the lobby group for international conflict resolution, supported by the United Nations and initiated by Spain's Prime Minister, Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero.

The speeches at this conference rather than using polite, diplomatic language have at times been brutally direct. When the Rabbi Metzger harangued mainstream Muslims for not standing up to Osama bin Laden, Islamic leaders nodded in agreement.

Both Muslim and Jewish leaders have shown a preparedness to take criticism.

There have also been strong expressions of opposition to any killing in the name of religion.

At the end of the opening ceremony, the Muslim delegation sang an oration to the Prophet Mohammed before resuming discussions about the ideas they plan to present to their Jewish counterparts.

The religious leaders have three days to come up with a manifesto that aims to convert their words into actions.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4800194.stm (external - login to view)
An interesting idea so long as they have no binding jurisdiction.
I agree, as long as Heathen people run this United Nations of Religions.
Interesting concept.
I see no relevance coming from it. The fringe of any religion would not find any dession made by such a body binding. Religion to the right is always intolerant of other religions, even none conservatives of there own.

I think for the most part Liberal, and moderate religions and sects, followers, churchers and individuels already have a pretty open dialog with each other.
Oh for the love of....I swear if someone floats the religionkeeper ideal I'll lose it...
Sassy is fanning Mogz with her purse to calm him, at the same time she is giving him hell for his evil ways regarding the lassies in Ontario and Edmonton.
Hey - anything's worth a shot isn't it? We have to keep trying and trying and trying until we find something that works. I have some strong views about organized religion and all the crap it's caused in our history and our present... but maybe if the religious leaders set an example of unity against war and other unholy acts committed in the name of religion, the flock will finally get the point....
do I think this is gonna float? dunno - but I'd hate to see something NOT be attempted - imo, EVERYTHING should be attempted, and this is long overdue. It's a step in the right direction at least. My feelings about organized religion aside, I wish them every success.
I'm curious - I wonder if the leaders of ALL religions will be invited to participate? The answer to that will be very telling as to the full intentions of this UN of Religions.
this might work

UN resolution 666
authorises the invasion of hell by a mutilateral task force
Christianity: 2.1 billion
Islam: 1.3 billion
Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 1.1 billion
Hinduism: 900 million
Chinese traditional religion: 394 million
Buddhism: 376 million
Primal-indigenous: 300 million
African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million
Sikhism: 23 million
Juche: 19 million
Spiritism: 15 million
Judaism: 14 million
Baha'i: 7 million
Jainism: 4.2 million
Shinto: 4 million
Cao Dai: 4 million
Zoroastrianism: 2.6 million
Tenrikyo: 2 million
Neo-Paganism: 1 million
Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand
Rastafarianism: 600 thousand
Scientology: 500 thousand

www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html (external - login to view)
what about satanism
So what exactly constitutes a "major" religion?
Quote: Originally Posted by cortez

this might work

UN resolution 666
authorises the invasion of hell by a mutilateral task force

helluva great way to kick it off! Should be the first order of biz!!
Quote: Originally Posted by Jay

So what exactly constitutes a "major" religion?

Any thoughts on the matter?
What constitutes a major religion

One way to define a major religion is by the number of current adherents. Population numbers by religion are computed by combination of census reports and population surveys (in countries where religion data is not collected in census, for example USA or France), but results can vary widely depending on the way questions are phrased, the definitions of religion used, and the bias of the agencies or organizations conducting the survey. Informal or unorganized religions are especially difficult to count.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_world_religions (external - login to view)
So it depends on the numbers

So if you have 1. Then you are a minor religion.
Can you even dream of what Pat Buchanan or Jack Van Impe would say about this. They call it the end of days for sure and pray for god to destory the thing. lol.