U.S. Navy battles pirates off coast of Somalia

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
U.S. Navy battles suspected pirates, kills 1
American sailors return fire on ship, find weapons cache on board

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Two U.S. Navy warships exchanged gunfire with suspected pirates Saturday off the coast of Somalia, and one suspect was killed and five others were wounded, the navy said.

Seven other suspects were taken into custody after the early-morning shootout, said Lt. Cmdr. Charlie Brown, spokesman for the U.S. Navy’s 5th Fleet.

No sailors were wounded in the battle, which occurred at about 5:40 a.m. local time, approximately 25 nautical miles off the Somali coast in international waters.

The battle started after the USS Cape St. George and USS Gonzalez, which were patrolling as part of a Dutch-led task force, spotted a 30-foot fishing boat towing smaller skiffs and prepared to board and inspect the vessels.

The suspected pirates were holding what appeared to be rocket-propelled grenade launchers, the navy said. When the suspects began shooting, naval gunners returned fire with mounted machine guns, killing one man and igniting a fire on the vessel.

Three suspects were seriously wounded and being treated on one of the Navy ships, Brown told The Associated Press. A Dutch Navy medical team was en route.

The suspects’ nationalities were unknown.

The Navy boarding teams confiscated an RPG launcher and automatic weapons, the statement said.

The Cape St. George, a guided-missile cruiser, and Gonzalez, a guided-missile destroyer, were conducting maritime security operations in the area. They are based in Norfolk, Va.

The International Maritime Organization has warned ships to stay away from the Somali coast because of pirate attacks, which surged to 35 last year from two in 2004.

On March 15, the U.N. Security Council encouraged naval forces operating off Somalia to take action against suspected piracy. Pirate attacks against aid ships have hindered U.N. efforts to provide relief to the victims of a severe drought in the area.

The pirate raids are part of the anarchy wracking Somalia, which has had no effective government since 1991, when warlords ousted a dictatorship and then turned on each other.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11233378/

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Hand them over to Green Peace and forget about them. Imagine the rest of your life on a boat with Green Peace.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I think all countries should chip in and let the UN patrol international waters, they can take them from the boats straight to The Hague.

Doryman

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
St. John's
Re: RE: U.S. Navy battles pir

darkbeaver said:
The article dosn't mention the two destroyers and one aircraft carrier lost by the US navy in the exchange of gunfire.

? I assume that' a joke.

Glad to see that the UN is starting to use a little force to help their aid efforts along. Maybe that food and medicine will actually go to someone besides warlords now.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
The article dosn't mention the two destroyers and one aircraft carrier lost by the US navy in the exchange of gunfire.

:roll:

I personally find the whole pirate thing funny. Granted if I was in the situation i'd probably not, however you have to laugh at it. Man I wish they'd found peg legs on board :(

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Actually piracy is no laughing matter. It doesn't usually make headlines, but it is a common occurence. The Mallaca Straits is notorious for pirate attacks and carries more than 25% of the worlds trade. It has become an economic strategic issue. There are many other areas in the world pirate attacks are common.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:x Arrrrrrrr Billy; Be they fail ta strike their colours come about an give em a broadside.Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :evil: Issue cutlasses and prepare grappels fer boardin.ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :twisted: :twisted: Keelhaul the men an save the wenches fer later;;nudge nudge wink wink: :? ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, yo ho...........

Who you callin a ho :?: :?: :?: :?:

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :roll:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Re: RE: U.S. Navy battles pir

Doryman said:
darkbeaver said:

? I assume that' a joke.

Glad to see that the UN is starting to use a little force to help their aid efforts along. Maybe that food and medicine will actually go to someone besides warlords now.

You should not assume anything from DB a joke. The sad part about it is that he actually may believe that the pirates sunk two US Destroyers and shot down a Navy jet.

And the UN is not doing anything about pirating off Somalia.