Armed Gang Makes Haul

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Family abducted before £25m raid

More than £25m in cash has been stolen from a depot in Kent after its security manager and his family were kidnapped by armed robbers posing as police.

The raid was carried out in the early hours of Wednesday at Securitas, in Vale Road, Tonbridge, by at least six men who tied up 15 staff members.

The manager was abducted after being pulled over in his car by what he thought was an unmarked police vehicle.

The Bank of England confirmed the scale of the robbery on Wednesday evening.

A Securitas spokesman said "a substantial amount of money running into millions of pounds" had been taken.

He said the exact figure would only be known once a complete audit of the site had been carried out.

The kidnapping of the manager took place at about 1830 GMT on Tuesday.

He was in his silver Nissan Almera on the northbound carriageway of the A249, just past the Three Squirrels public house near Stockbury, when he was pulled over by what he believed was a police vehicle.

He was spoken to by a passenger wearing a high visibility jacket and a police-style hat.

Thinking they were genuine police officers, he got into the kidnappers' vehicle where he was handcuffed.

At the same time, the man's wife and young son were taken from their home in Herne Bay after two men claiming to be police officers said he had been involved in an accident.

The depot manager was transferred to a white van, tied up at gunpoint, and then driven to another location where he was told to co-operate or his family would be in danger.

At about 0100 GMT on Wednesday, he was taken by car to the Securitas depot and the raid was carried out.

The balaclava-clad robbers, some of whom had handguns, left at about 0215 GMT.

'Traumatic ordeal'

The staff who had been tied up managed to raise the alarm about an hour later.

They were all shocked but unhurt.

Det Supt Paul Gladstone said: "This was a traumatic ordeal for the manager and his family and for all of the staff.

"This was clearly a robbery that was planned in detail over time.

"A very substantial sum of money running into millions of pounds has been stolen and we are determined to bring the robbers to justice."

Police are appealing for information from anyone who may have seen the manager's silver Nissan, or a Volvo or similar vehicle meeting up with a white van.

They also want to trace a 7.5 tonne truck which was used in the robbery itself.

Link

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I think not said:
The balaclava-clad robbers, some of whom had handguns, left at about 0215 GMT.

This can't be true...I thought they banned handguns in the UK....

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Only for the good guys.

Even armoured car guards (as shown by this story) are unarmed in Britain. Instead they wear helmets and body armour, and carry the cash in a "flash case". In a robbery attempt they are supposed to destroy the money.

What is wrong with this picture?

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Re: RE: Armed Gang Makes Haul

Colpy said:
Only for the good guys.

Even armoured car guards (as shown by this story) are unarmed in Britain. Instead they wear helmets and body armour, and carry the cash in a "flash case". In a robbery attempt they are supposed to destroy the money.

:lol:

Thats the funniest thing I have heard all day, I had no idea armoured truck guards did not carry firearms in England. In the event of a robbery they are supposed to destroy the money? ..... there is definitely a problem with that picture.

I remember hearing a fellow at work telling me he had been to Britan and police officers were not armed, they carried nightsticks instead? If this is true then they must be calling in SWAT for every standoff.....I certainly woulden't want to be going against a suspect with a club, even if he was only armed with a knife.

Any British people here want to fill us in..............

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Part of the old IRA refused to give up their arms and have comitted several large robberies in Ireland. Could this also be their work?

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Hank C said:
Colpy said:
Only for the good guys.

:lol:

Thats the funniest thing I have heard all day, I had no idea armoured truck guards did not carry firearms in England. In the event of a robbery they are supposed to destroy the money? ..... there is definitely a problem with that picture.

I remember hearing a fellow at work telling me he had been to Britan and police officers were not armed, they carried nightsticks instead? If this is true then they must be calling in SWAT for every standoff.....I certainly woulden't want to be going against a suspect with a club, even if he was only armed with a knife.

Any British people here want to fill us in..............

The police of Britain and New Zealand are the only ones in the Western World that don't carry guns. That's what makes British police the best in the world.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Colpy said:
Only for the good guys.

That's because the bad guys obtain the handguns illegally.

Handguns were banned in Britain after a crazed gunman burst into a primary school classroom in Dunblane in Scotland in March 1996 and shot dead 12 of the children (who were only around 9 or 10 years old) and wounded the teacher before shooting himself dead. It's the sort of thing that happens in America every week.

It's the 10th anniversary of the Dunblane massacre sometime this month.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
missile said:
Part of the old IRA refused to give up their arms and have comitted several large robberies in Ireland. Could this also be their work?

It wasn't the IRA, although there seems to be a bit of a competition going on as to who can steal the most money in Britain EVER. In 2004, the IRA broke a new British record by stealing £26 million from the Northern Bank in Belfast. But now, this robbery has broken the record again - these people stole £53 million, even higher than the Great Train Robbery in the 1960s. I wonder how long it'll be before even this record is broken.

One of the men arrested has a wife who is obsessed with gold jewellery. A photo in the newspaper showed her wearing ten tons of gold.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Cops nick £7m 'Del Boy'

By NEIL SYSON and
JEROME STARKEY

Derek "Del Boy" Trotter from the BBC comedy series "Only Fools and Horses."

COPS have found £7million from the Tonbridge heist — and arrested a suspect known as “Del Boy” (named after the star character in BBC comedy series "Only Fools and Horses" who is obsessed with money and often tries to make money illegally).

The cash was discovered in bags during a swoop on a car salvage business in South East London.

Officers immediately indentified it as part of the record £53million haul stolen from the Securitas depot in Kent last week.

A 43-year-old man called Del Boy was arrested on suspicion of handling stolen goods.

News of the loot find came as two more men appeared in court over the raid — and it was revealed the blaggers left £100million BEHIND at the cash depot.

Last night the owner of the car salvage yard in Welling said he was “shocked” by the £7million found on his premises.

Nigel Reeves, speaking from his holiday home in Javea, Spain, added: “This raid has nothing to do with me.

“I was very shocked when I heard what had happened.

“But I have been in constant contact with Kent Police about it.”

Mr Reeve, in his 40s, added: “I rent out one of my yards to a person who has been arrested.

“I know who he is and he’s a friend of mine known as Del Boy.

“But I do not think he has anything to do with the robbery. Like me, he has been caught up in this. I am quite happy to help out in any way I can.”

Six plain-clothes officers swooped on ENR Cars in Welling on Thursday followed by up to FORTY other cops, some armed.

Police humped bags from a 100ft long shed with a corrugated roof, which is protected by CCTV.

Eyewitness Ian Jackaman said yesterday: “It started off pretty low key with the plain clothes officers. But then the whole place was swarming with uniformed police.”

Sniffer dogs were still at the industrial unit last night and it remained sealed off.

A police spokesman said: “Bags containing the cash are currently being examined.”

The find was part of £150million sitting at the Securitas depot when it was raided ten days ago, an insider there revealed yesterday.

But the robbers did not take all the money because they could not physically transport it. The insider added: “They only had one lorry. With more vehicles, they could have netted three times what they eventually did.”

The two men in court yesterday were martial arts expert Lea Rusha, 33, and jobless Albanian Jetmir Bucpapa, 24.

They appeared before Maidstone magistrates charged with conspiracy to rob.

Former security guard Bucpapa, of Tonbridge, and roofer Rusha, of Tunbridge Wells, were remanded in custody until March 13.

The Albanian’s blonde English wife Rebecca watched from the public gallery, holding the hand of a female friend.

At one stage he gave them both the thumbs-up.

Wearing a grey sweatshirt and blue fleece, he was flanked by three policemen in the enclosed glass dock.

Bucpapa is a former guard at the Royal Victoria Place shopping centre in Tunbridge Wells and a bouncer in the town.

Married Rusha whistled as he was led from the dock.

Both men will next appear alongside car dealers John Fowler, 60, and Stuart Royle, 47, at Maidstone Crown Court.

Also appearing will be Royle’s girlfriend Kim Shackleton, 38.

The trio were remanded in custody on Thursday. Father-of-three Fowler is accused of conspiracy to rob, kidnapping and handling stolen goods.

Royle is charged with conspiracy to rob and hairdresser Shackleton of handling stolen goods.

Police have confirmed a “small quantity” of cash — thought to be around £130,000 — has been recovered from Fowler’s Elderden Farm at Staplehurst, Kent.

thesun.co.uk