Bloody Christian-Muslim Violence: 76 dead

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
ONITSHA, Nigeria (Reuters) - At least 20 people, mostly Muslims, were killed in the eastern Nigerian city of Onitsha on Wednesday by Christians taking revenge for the killing of Christians in northern Nigeria at the weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT

A Reuters eyewitness saw at least 20 bodies, some burned and others with their stomachs cut open, in Onitsha as thousands of youths brandishing cutlasses and sticks ran through the streets chanting slogans and harassing passers-by.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060222...ydvaA8F;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--

LAGOS, Nigeria - Gangs of rioters armed with machetes and shotguns poured through the streets of the mainly Christian southern city of Onitsha on Wednesday as the death toll from days of Christian-Muslim violence across Nigeria rose to at least 76.

ADVERTISEMENT

At least three people were killed Wednesday in Onitsha as gangs on the streets sought revenge following reports that Muslims in the city attacked a Christian primary school to retaliate the previous day's violence, residents said.

Sectarian violence first erupted Saturday in the northern city of Maiduguri, where Muslim protests against cartoons caricaturing the Prophet Muhammad turned violent, razing 30 churches and claiming the lives of 18 people, mostly Christians.

Similar violence followed Monday and Tuesday in the northern city of Bauchi, where witnesses and Red Cross officials say 25 people were killed when Muslim mobs attacked Christians there.

Bauchi was tense but calm on Wednesday, with police and soldiers patrolling the city.

In Onitsha, residents and witnesses said two mosques were burned down and least 30 people were killed Tuesday, most of them northern Muslims. Several local newspapers reported between 30 and 35 dead. Thousands of Muslims with origins in the north fled to the military barracks in the city.

Christian mobs attacked Muslims and their businesses in Onitsha Tuesday in reprisal against violence in Maiduguri and Bauchi, which like most of northern Nigeria, are dominated by Muslims. Onitsha, like most of the south, is dominated by Christians.

"There are reports that some of the northerners attacked a primary school near the barracks this morning and killed some children," said Isotonu Achor, an Onitsha resident who works with a marketing firm.

"Schools have quickly closed and thousands of people carrying machetes, some with guns, are rushing toward the military barracks. It could be bloody," he said.

Achor said he saw three dead bodies and a damaged mosque in the Fegge district of the city of more than 1 million. Gunfire coming from the direction of the military barracks could also be heard, he said. Its source was not known.

Chris Ngige, the region's governor, said in a broadcast on television on Tuesday night he had ordered police reinforcements for the mainly trading city and declared a dusk-to-dawn curfew. The governor's spokesman Fred Chukwulobe confirmed "some people were killed" in Tuesday's attacks on northern Muslims but said he had no definite figures.

"More than 30 northerners were killed at the Bridgehead Market alone," said Chinyere Osigwe, a trader at the market who witnessed the violence.

Nigerian police spokesman Haz Iwendi said police reinforcements deployed in Onitsha following Tuesday's violence, adding that he has received no reports of fresh violence on Wednesday.

Iwendi, who spoke by telephone from the capital Abuja, confirmed there were deaths during previous day's violence in Onitsha and Bauchi but said authorities were still investigating

"We want to distinguish between bodies actually counted and people who may merely be missing," he said.

Bauchi Governor Adamu Muazu said on local television on Tuesday night the violence was fueled by allegations a Christian school teacher had desecrated the Quran. He said the allegations proved unfounded.

Nigeria, Africa's most populous country of more than 130 million people, is roughly divided between a predominantly Muslim north and a mainly Christian south. Thousands of people have died in religious violence since 2000.

Powerful Nigerian Archbishop Peter Akinola said in a statement Tuesday that it was disturbing that cartoons published in Denmark "could elicit such an unfortunate reaction in Nigeria" and alleged it was part of a plot by unnamed people to Islamize Nigeria.

"It is no longer a hidden fact that a long-standing agenda to make this Nigeria an Islamic nation is being surreptitiously pursued," Akinola said. He said it may no longer be possible to restrain restive Christian youths.

Akinola could not be reached for comment on the outbreak of anti-Muslim violence in Onitsha.

The cartoons, which first appeared in a Danish newspaper in September, have set off sometimes violent protests around the world. One caricature shows Muhammad wearing a bomb-shaped turban with an ignited fuse.

Islam widely holds that representations of Muhammad are banned for fear they could lead to idolatry.

Other newspapers, mostly in Europe, have reprinted the pictures, asserting their news value and the right to freedom of expression.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060222/ap_on_re_af/nigeria_sectarian_violence;_ylt=ArbE4TTg7_Cu2sX1ApK3TCJvaA8F;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--

So Christians aren't any better than Muslims.

Freethinker

Electoral Member
Jan 18, 2006
RE: Bloody Christian-Musl

So Muslims go on a rampage, raze thirty churches, kill 47 people (mostly christians).

Christians retaliate and they are no better than Muslims?

Unless they fight back they will be eventually wiped out. So your idea of a better Christian are the ones in Darfur who are just being ethnically cleansed without a fight?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
It's hard to come up with the logic Jersay uses, but if you pay close attention it summed up to.... "Muslims and anyone but America and Christians can do anything they want....Christians and America must be held to the highest ethics possible, regardless of the circumstances they face".

It isn't an uncommon logic among younger Canadians and liberals in general.

Freethinker

Electoral Member
Jan 18, 2006

I dont' know how common among liberals it is. But I think it is a stance of young idealists like Jersay and Fiveparadox.

I have liberal values (pro choice, pro equal marriage, pro strong social programs) and I voted liberal in the last election, but I don't believe it is a common liberal trait to excuse the Islamic lunacy that is taking the world in its grasp and more importantly, to ignore the proper steps to better protect us from it, or value political correctness above security.

As far as the USA, I like the USA, I just don't like fundementalist religious fanatics, be they fundementalist Muslims or the fundementalist Christians running the US government.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I think the point is Christians are in fact capable of violence too. I believe they have a right to fight back and defend themselves, but I don't think burning and gutting bodies is just about survival especially when it's in a completely different city than the muslims who killed christians earlier.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I certainly do have liberal values (pro-choice, pro-same-sex marriage, pro-majority of liberal endeavours). However, that does not dictate my position in relation this particular situation.

Firstly, to be perfectly clear, before I get flamed beyond all belief, I think that anyone has the right to defend themself; whether Christian, Muslim or otherwise.

However, yes, I do think that there needs to be a higher standard — for anyone who would tell someone else that something or other is unacceptable. One cannot claim that one thing is acceptable for certain people, under a certain circumstances, and unacceptable for another, while the same circumstances applies.

Freethinker

Electoral Member
Jan 18, 2006

It is not the same circumstance.

One is murder and mahem in response to cartoons in another country.

One is is murder and mahem in response to murder and mahem in the same country.

I think the second is much more justifiable than the second.

But as an Athiest I am no fan of any Religious fundementalists.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
It is not the same circumstance.

One is murder and mahem in response to cartoons in another country.

One is is murder and mahem in response to murder and mahem in the same country.

I think the second is much more justifiable than the second.

But as an Athiest I am no fan of any Religious fundementalists.

Now I don't condone violence, but, I will break it down

Cartoons - Muslim violence, people die

Christian response - defending themselves - then rampage in Muslim areas double the number of people die

Now people were saying that Muslims are barbarians and stuff, the act of defening yourself I respect and if you killed someone dsefending your family fine. However, going and killing people because of your religion, Christians are just as bad.

Freethinker

Electoral Member
Jan 18, 2006
Jersay said:
Now people were saying that Muslims are barbarians and stuff, the act of defening yourself I respect and if you killed someone dsefending your family fine. However, going and killing people because of your religion, Christians are just as bad.

Well that is your opinion and I think we know by now that I disagree with it.

A moral highground is a luxury of living in a society like ours, and never having to deal brutal lawlessness. Sometime an equally brutal revenge my be the only justice in such a lawless land. It may the only way to stem permanent victimhood and attacks. Sometime you really do have to stand up to bullies and sometimes you might have to get your hands dirty.

I am sure you think the Christians have the moral high ground in Darfur. Of course that may be small consolation as they are wiped out: http://www.darfurgenocide.org/

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
If you knew the conflict, Darfur is a Muslim region as well has nothing to do with Christians.

Nigeria is a peaceful place, so you say it is okay for Christians to go terrorist Muslim people and leave them cut open in the middle of the streets. When it is uncalled for when the Muslims who died had nothing to do with the violence.

I am glad that I don't hold your values.

Some christian people are just as disqusting as what some people equat muslims too.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton

Christians are just as bad.

Yeah, all those Christian suicide squads are out of control. Oh and what about those Christians that beheaded that dude on a live webcast last week? Or better yet still what about those Christians that flew those jumbo jets in to the World Trade Centre? Man those Christians are out of control. :roll:

Seriousness on. So a few Christians get out of control and kill some people and suddenly the whole religion is a band of murderers? You cannot compare this incident to muslims extremism and say they're the same thing. I have no doubt that the Christian religion has a few nutbars in it, and yes people in NIGERIA (an ass-backwards nation) took things to the extreme and went nuts. Howevever, by your post here, all I see is a desperate attempt to paint muslims (once again) as the victims when in reality they're the reason this all took place. In a sense they're the ones responsible for the death that has fallen upon them. Some Nigerian Christian didn't just wake up one day and say to his wife "you know honey, I haven't murdered an infidel muslim in a few weeks. I think i'll round up the lads and go on an good old fashioned raghead hunt". It's called mob mentality. A bunch of muslims are murdering people so they banded together and said "here's a taste". I can't say I support the idea, in fact I abhorrer the whole situation, however I refuse to toss them in with the likes of muslim extremists. Say what you will, but the people who killed muslims in Nigeria are NOTHING like the arabs we see on national television calling for the death of innocent cartoonists, all westerners, and the liquification of Israel.

Freethinker

Electoral Member
Jan 18, 2006
Jersay said:
If you knew the conflict, Darfur is a Muslim region as well has nothing to do with Christians..

The power holding Muslim Arabs are wiping out Black Christians.

Nothing to do with Christians?

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Who cares if they are backwards whatever. They are still Christian people.

That's the thing, when you show someone that their religion is just like Muslims, and has as many nutjobs as the Muslim religion is they go, oh, they are backwards or something like that.

Then I will give you another example, Northern Ireland.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
It isn't just like the Muslim religion, so there is no "showing" anybody that.

Northern Irealand is a power struggle, an old one.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
It isn't just like the Muslim religion, so there is no "showing" anybody that.

Northern Irealand is a power struggle, an old one.

The point is that there are as many Christian nutjobs as Muslim.

Also, Ireland is a power struggle that is Catholic and Protestant. And the last conflict, the British tried to expel all Catholic people and push them into the Republic of Ireland so Northern Ireland would be always British.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"The point is that there are as many Christian nutjobs as Muslim."

It isn't true.

The fight over Northern Ireland is a fight over Northern Ireland.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
I've decided to tune out. I'm tired of hearing of bloody rampages and car bombs and other depressing things. I don't think these issues will ever be resolved. I'll just stick to worrying about my own home and think of the rest as population control.