Bin Laden: I won’t be taken alive

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Bin Laden vows never to be captured alive
Al-Qaida leader declares U.S. has resorted to Saddam’s ‘barbaric’ tactics

CAIRO, Egypt - Osama bin Laden promised never to be captured alive and declared the United States had resorted to the same “barbaric” tactics used by Saddam Hussein, according to an audiotape purportedly by the al-Qaida leader that was posted Monday on a militant Web site.

The tape appeared to be a complete version of one that was first broadcast Jan. 19 on Al-Jazeera, the pan-Arab satellite channel, in which bin Laden offered the United States a long-term truce but also said his al-Qaida terror network would soon launch a fresh attack on American soil.

“I have sworn to only live free. Even if I find bitter the taste of death, I don’t want to die humiliated or deceived,” bin Laden said, in the 11-minute, 26-second tape.

Bin Laden links U.S., Saddam
In drawing the comparison to American military behavior in Iraq to that of Saddam, the speaker said:

“The jihad is continuing with strength, for Allah be all the credit, despite all the barbarity, the repressive steps taken by the American Army and its agents, to the extent that there is no longer any mentionable difference between this criminality and the criminality of Saddam.”

By using that language to describe Saddam, bin Laden appeared to be denying assertions by the Bush administration that the former Iraqi leader had ties to al-Qaida — ties that were given as one rationale for invading Iraq.

Bin Laden also challenged Bush administration assertions that it was better to fight terrorists in Iraq than on U.S. soil.

“The war against America and its allies has not remained confined to Iraq as he (Bush) claims, but rather Iraq has become a point of attraction and recruitment of qualified forces,” the speaker said.

“What’s more, the mujahideen, by the grace of Allah, have been able to penetrate time after time all the security procedures undertaken by the oppressive countries of the alliance as evidence by what you have seen, in terms of bombings in the capital of the most important European states.”

Renewed propaganda
The tape’s release in January came days after a U.S. airstrike in Pakistan that targeted bin Laden’s deputy, Ayman al-Zawahri, and reportedly killed four leading al-Qaida figures, including possibly al-Zawahri’s son-in-law. There was no mention of the attack on the segments that were broadcast.

In the full tape posted Monday, bin Laden engaged in renewed propaganda, mocking Bush’s aircraft carrier declaration in April 2003 that major conflict in Iraq had ended.

“The Pentagon’s figures indicate an increase in the number of your killed and injured in addition to the massive material losses, not to mention the collapse of troop morale and the increase of the suicide rates among them,” the speaker said.

Speaking directly to the American people, he said:

“You can rescue whatever you can from this hell. The solution is in your hands, if their (U.S. troops’) situation matters to you at all.”

The initial excerpts had been the first tape from the al-Qaida leader in more than a year — the longest period without a message since the Sept. 11, 2001 suicide hijackings in the United States.

The CIA last month authenticated the voice on the initial recording as that of bin Laden, an agency official told The Associated Press at the time. The al-Qaida leader is believed to be hiding in the border region between Afghanistan and Pakistan.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11452123/

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
That's undertandable statement from OBL. I mean really, considering the events of the last 5 years I don't think he'd figger that if he calls it quits, everything will go back to normal. Even after he dies, people will still be looking for his body for years to come.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
There was no mention of the attack on the segments that were broadcast.

Interesting how no mention is made despite the news media's boasting that several significant officers of AQ were supposedly killed in that raid. It makes you wonder whether this tape is authenticate since several experts have already discredited it when it was initially "disclosed".

You may recall that a-Zawahri also made a tape that was presented one day later. The recording mentioned items that took place three months before. Again, if his officers were killed, why wasn't that mentioned in the tape? Obviously, someone in the White House is benefitting politically from the timing of the disclosures since the State of the Union speech was scheduled just a few days later.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
gopher said:
Again, if his officers were killed, why wasn't that mentioned in the tape?

I suspect Osama doesn't have Fedex next day service from where he is. Likely the tapes were recorded well before the attack.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
I suspect he is living in some city outside Saudi's Capital. One of his family's Palaces living the life of luxury and writing love poetry to the USA.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Sassylassie said:
I suspect he is living in some city outside Saudi's Capital. One of his family's Palaces living the life of luxury and writing love poetry to the USA.

or maybe he is in a cave like Saddam

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Considering he is a good old, CIA trainee, I am sure they have him somewhere. It is better for the Bush government to keep him alive, because if he is dead, they will have to stop spying on American civilians. They can't have that.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Bin Laden was trained by the United States and the CIA in Afghanistan. So CIA trainee.

And it is a known fact that in any war, most nations try to curtail their civilian 'liberties' in the name of fighting the enemy.

For example, Second world war, the good old saying;

"Loose lips sink ships."

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I think not said:
Great logic Jersay, put down Pravda and try again. :roll:

They are just pissed off because the end result of the CIA training over there in Afghanistan was the end of the Cold War, and they lost.

Now we have a new fight and they aren't so keen on fighting that too....why? Because they will loose.