Queen's gowns and jewellery to go on display.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

The largest ever collection of the Queen's evening gowns and personal jewellery is to go on display at Buckingham Palace to mark her 80th birthday. The collection includes this beautiful blue silk and lace dress designed by Norman Hartnell which the Queen wore to Princess Margaret's wedding in 1960.

This eye-catching yellow silk crepe embroidered dress was designed by Ian Thomas and worn by the Queen for a state banquet given for the Amir of Qatar in 1985.

Among the famous pieces of priceless jewellery going on display is the Vladimir Tiara.

The Queen wore this pretty duchesse satin crinoline gown with beaded and jewelled embroidery during a royal tour of Nigeria in 1956.

Prince Philip designed this gold, sapphire, diamond and ruby bracelet to mark the royal couple's fifth wedding anniversary.

A black velvet and duchesse satin evening gown by Norman Hartnell, made for the Queen in the late 1940s.

Queen Mary's True Lover's Knot brooch. The monarch inherited the jewellery from her grandmother Queen Mary in 1953.

The Queen wore this delicately embroidered gown designed by Norman Hartnell for official portraits in 1957.

Hardy Amies designed this silk chiffon dress embroidered with California poppies, worn by the Queen on her visit to America in 1983.

The Williamson diamond brooch by Cartier.

The Queen wore this grey satin gown embroidered with a fern motif in beads and pearls at a State Banquet held by President Eisenhower at the White House in 1957.

This green silk dress with jewelled embroidery was worn during a state visit to Ethiopia in February 1965.

The special exhibition will run during the Summer Opening of the State Rooms at Buckingham Palace until September 24.

dailymail.co.uk

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Very nice.

I do hope the Queen comes and visits us soon....

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Oh, okay, lol.

Although I don't think it's taxes that pay for her; I forget what it's called, but I think it's called the Civil List, or something like that. Some kind of list.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Favourite Gown • Her Majesty's Spending

Having looked into the facts surrounding Her Majesty's funding, it turns out that a certain portion of Crown land is "surrendered" to Her Majesty each year (as a matter of ceremony), and such constitutes Her Majesty's income, as per the Civil List, in addition to a certain sum paid to Her Majesty by the Parliament of the United Kingdom for certain expenditures.

It should be noted that Her Majesty's spending in official capacities are handled by the funds mentioned above; however, the amount spent for private use (entitled the "Privy Purse") is paid by the Parliament of the United Kingdom. It should also be noted that Her Majesty pays taxes on private expenditures, and also voluntarily pays income taxes.

On another note, my favourite dress up there is the black velvet one. :)

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: Favourite Gown • Her Majesty's Spending

FiveParadox said:
On another note, my favourite dress up there is the black velvet one. :)

You have expensive taste there Five, good thing you'll never be on a date with me.