Venezuela VP to McCain: 'Go to hell'

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuela's vice president said today that U.S. Sen. John McCain "can go to hell" for suggesting that "wackos" run the South American country.

Jose Vicente Rangel was reacting to McCain's statement on Sunday that America must explore alternative energy sources to avoid depending on Iran or by "wackos" in Venezuela - apparently a reference to Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez.

"It looks like they have nothing else to do in the United States," Rangel said, adding that the Americans have "so many problems, 40 million poor people, 30 million drug users, and an American senator is paying attention to us. He can go to hell."

McCain, a potential Republican presidential contender in 2008, said recent actions by Chavez and by Iran's leaders make it clear that the United States will be vulnerable as long as it remains dependent on foreign energy.

"We've got to get quickly on a track to energy independence from foreign oil, and that means, among other things, going back to nuclear power," the Arizona senator said on Fox News Sunday. "We better understand the vulnerabilities that our economy, and our very lives, have when we're dependent on Iranian mullahs and wackos in Venezuela."

Despite political differences between Caracas and Washington, the United States remains the top buyer of oil from Venezuela, the world's No.5 exporter.

Chavez has repeatedly accused the United States of conspiring to topple his government, an allegation U.S. officials deny.

The Venezuelan leader says his government would halt oil exports to the United States if Washington ever attempted to invade this South American nation.

Link

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
McCain should practice some diplomacy...

...if he is gonna throw his hat into the presidential battle....

Two old military fools still whipping out their sabres to discuss economics and trade.

The world would do better with some responsible and rational discussion than this kind of press.

Zip it up John! Rangel knows nothing more than war - having gained his fame in that game. Don't start another fire we have to put out and bleed our military thin.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Diplomacy doesn't seem

to be in the American vocabulary. The Americans have tried to overthrow Chavez's legally elected government. A well-known TV evangelist has called for Chavez's assassination. Now a U.S. presidential hopeful publically calls the Venezuelan leaders,"whackos". I would say the "wackos" preside in Washington.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
ITN

Morning sunshine! I am one of those high octane kinda peeps who do ok on four or five hours....I know one day I'm gonna crash but for now it suits because I can get lots done and still play. I get my head working by reading forums....waiting for coffee....(decaf)....

Besides in the summer - early morning is the only sane time of the day before the sun burns our brains.

You are a busy guy today....you've put up some good topics there!

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
#juan said:
Diplomacy doesn't seem

to be in the American vocabulary. The Americans have tried to overthrow Chavez's legally elected government. A well-known TV evangelist has called for Chavez's assassination. Now a U.S. presidential hopeful publically calls the Venezuelan leaders,"whackos". I would say the "wackos" preside in Washington.

Oh come on #juan, Pat Roberston is an equal opportunity hater, he wanted Sharon to kick the bucket also, besides nobody pays any attention to him, he's been brain dead for 2 decades now.

If Chavez didn't run around pretending to be the new Che, our whackos in Washington wouldn't be paying any attention.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Wait a minute ITN,

The American "wackos" first tried to overthrow Chavez. God! a democratically elected leader is arrested and held until his people free him. I think the Americans fired the first shots. If they are getting some return fire they have only themselves to blame.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Seems like there are two kinds of democracies in the world..the normal type and the American version. Saddam was democratically elected,too.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
#juan said:
Wait a minute ITN,

The American "wackos" first tried to overthrow Chavez. God! a democratically elected leader is arrested and held until his people free him. I think the Americans fired the first shots. If they are getting some return fire they have only themselves to blame.

You mean the democratically elected Chavez that previously tried to overthrow the government that resulted in deaths and was later released :? by "behind the scenes American support". That one?

I don't care if Chavez is democratically elected or not, so was Hitler, if he keeps chumming up with Castro, Iran and North Korea, he's going to have problems.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"Venezuela's vice president said today that U.S. Sen. John McCain "can go to hell" for suggesting that "wackos" run the South American country. "

Is "go to hell" an invitation to visit Venezuela?

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Anyway,John McCain has good reasons to be slightly whacko..5 years as a guest in a cong prison camp just might have an effect on one's mental abilities.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
John McCain

I think he was hurt badly running against Bush for the Republican nomination during the campaigns when the Republicans attacked him, his wife, an adopted bi-racial child they have, and many other ugly comments from the "whacko" Christian Right.

He has also been hurt badly from his captive years and while he puts up a great front, I have to question how he would behave under extreme stress - and I think he would not do well. His temper is carefully controlled but way too close to the surface.
He just can't go around giving one-liner humor commentary to mask the deeply set patterns for his survival which served him well in his younger years.

While I applaud him as a senator, wanting to serve his country, as a decorated war veteran who actually served in battle and in prison.... absolutely no question about his military service ..... I have to state he would not make a good president. As a good senator he has found his best place. I hope he finds it out before he falls for the call for fame.

His heart is there... he is a good man and loves his country... but he is too much of a wild card given his psychological makeup for his past will always be riding at his back.

In this day of really strange guys running many nations, especially when it comes to the days of perfecting nuclear powered weaponry....he just isn't the right guy.

He knows it and he should step back and find the U.S. (if he truly loves the place) someone who will do more than he is capable of personally.

Challenges to Venezuela notwithstanding....in an insignificant event.... it shows how the angry reaction is so close to the mouth. It could start an ugly war.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Excuse for what Jay?

Standing up against the Bush cabal? Or was it giving some of the oil profits to his people that ticked the Bushites?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
For being an antagonist ruler of a silly little country and threatening the western worlds resolve by making friends and lending aid and comfort with places like Iran and Zimbabwe when he is really just a despot ruler with a big mouth and some oil.

It seems to me that people either love Chavez or they hate him. I don't love him.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
For being an antagonist ruler of a silly little country and threatening the western worlds resolve by making friends and lending aid and comfort with places like Iran and Zimbabwe when he is really just a despot ruler with a big mouth and some oil.

Rubbish

You are certainly entitled to your view but your view is most definitely not everyone's view. That silly little country also happens to be one of the U.S.'s biggest suppliers of oil.