Pedophile sentenced to four years

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
MONTREAL -- Marc-André Boire-Dubé, 21, was sentenced to four years in prison, Tuesday, after he was found guilty of sexually assaulting a two-year-old baby in November 2002.

The man, who was dating the child's mother, was babysitting when the assault happened in Pointe-aux-Trembles.

The Crown had requested a six-year prison term for Boiré-Dubé who left a 2.5-centimetre tear in the boy's anus that had to be surgically repaired.

"Can you think of a more vulnerable victim than a 2 1/2-year-old child who cannot make a formal complaint?" prosecutor Anne-Andree Charette asked at a pre-sentencing hearing in Quebec Court in December last year. "All he could say was, 'Boo boo, boo boo.' "

Boire-Dubé still denies the essential elements of the assault, which took place in November 2002 while the child's mother was at school.

A pre-sentencing report painted Boire-Dubé as having narcissistic traits, anger management problems and a controlling personality. It indicated he may even eroticize violence.

The report lamented that Boire-Dubé didn't co-operate fully, clamming up about details of his past - including a four-year stay in a group home.

"All this leads the experts to conclude they cannot exclude the possibility he has pedophiliac tendencies," Charette said.

Boire-Dubé has always maintained all he did was insert a suppository into the constipated boy a little too brusquely.

The court rejected his explanation after a child abuse expert said only a vibrator, erect penis or other large object could have caused such injury to the boy.

But Boire-Dubé's lawyer said it's unfair to fault his client for maintaining his innocence.

Link

karra

Ranter
Jan 3, 2006
here, there, and everywher
Liberal appointed judge - neocom sentance. . . .

Such is the 'justice' this country can expect and applaud should Dithers and his neocoms be re-elected. . . .

Disgusting. . . .

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
RE: Pedophile sentenced t

Hard for me to believe there are those that would argue against the death penalty when there are people like that running loose. No amount of rehabilitation is going to fix the bad wiring in that guy's brain.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
cosmo,

is there such a "crime" so great that planned and orchestrated killing is rationally justified?

we must be careful what kind of a society we create. A society that condones killing for a list of rationalized reasons is a society that has diminished the "value of life" itself. A society that kills its offenders becomes what it intended to kill.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I was never really for the death penalty, although I admit my blood boils when I hear news like this. Send them away and throw away the key, at least they can't do anymore harm.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Re: RE: Pedophile sentenced to four years

the caracal kid said:
cosmo,

is there such a "crime" so great that planned and orchestrated killing is rationally justified?

we must be careful what kind of a society we create. A society that condones killing for a list of rationalized reasons is a society that has diminished the "value of life" itself. A society that kills its offenders becomes what it intended to kill.

Yes; this is an example where capital punishment is justified. A society that does not absolutely decry such violation of a helpless child is doomed to failure. There cannot be any justification, no mitigation, no acceptance of acts like this.

I agree we must be careful what kind of society we create. One in which it is no big deal to violate a freaking infant? That's not the society I want to live in. Sexual abuse of children under 12 should be a capital offense. No ifs; no ands; no buts.

Four years? Four f8987king years? Even six years, as asked for by the prosecution? I don't think so. That's insane. There is no excuse for this act. None. Anyone who tries to justify or mitigate this bullshit is guilty of aiding and abetting the abuse of children.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
Justify the act? No.
Justify death for the perpetrator? No.

Treat him, analyze him. A case study at least. Locked up for life, so long as there is a risk to the public, yes.

Allowed to contribute back / make restitution from "behind bars", yes.

killing, no.

be careful what you will rationalize as a reason to kill, for it undermines not just the life of the convicted, but the life of every person.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I think not said:
I was never really for the death penalty, although I admit my blood boils when I hear news like this. Send them away and throw away the key, at least they can't do anymore harm.

Throw away the key to the box you put him in. Send him away on a plane over the Atlantic and push the box into the ocean.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC

the caracal kid said:
cosmo,

Caracal ... it's rare that I disagree with you ... but maybe ask that child what he thinks of this in a few years.

Recidivism for pedophiles is almost a given. No cure. If humans cannot behave better than rabid dogs, I'm all for applying the same solution to the human as I would the dog. Not every human life is worth saving. Not all people are created equal.

My only issue with capital punishment is who should get to make the judgement call on that. The court systems are cumbersome and frequently inept. But there are some cases that are pretty clear cut in my mind. If there is any grey area, I disagree with capital punishment but the perpetrator here seems obvious.

I'm a lefty ... but I do feel strongly about protecting those who cannot protect themselves. By whatever means necessary.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

the caracal kid said:
Justify the act? No.
Justify death for the perpetrator? No.

Treat him, analyze him. A case study at least. Locked up for life, so long as there is a risk to the public, yes.

Allowed to contribute back / make restitution from "behind bars", yes.

killing, no.

be careful what you will rationalize as a reason to kill, for it undermines not just the life of the convicted, but the life of every person.

I appreciate your idealistic view of the world, but that's your view.

I have thought about this issue: in my mind there is one, and only one, issue where capital punishment is acceptable: sexual abuse of children under 12.

You would "treat" this person, and allow him back. That's nice; I hope he lives next door to you; maybe you can have him babysit your two year old. I'll have him babysit a hole I dig in the backyard.

I have no tolerance for this. None.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
In my life,

I have fought for capital punishment, I have fought against capital punishment. At this point I see no reason employ extra people to keep this animal alive. Put him in the general population of the prison and and forget about him.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
TenPenny,
i didn't suggest training this person to become a childcare provider of any sort.

However, i think that the benefit to society can be found within each individual. We still have plenty to learn on ourselves, and case studies can provide a good deal of information from which to direct further study.

I also have a great deal of difficulty in punishing somebody for something beyond their control (should it be a "hardwired" problem). Treatment to the point of being able to live "within boundaries" is a reasonable exercise. While the person may never be free within society again, that does not rule out their ability to contribute from within restricted conditions.

Now acts that are premeditated or out of selfish controlable drives, then I can understand your desire for a harsher sentencing, but still death is beyond reason to me. (harsher meaning less privilages while incarcerated)

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I guess I could settle for chain gang labourers instead of the death penalty....But I want to see a lot of work being accomplished with armed guards ordered to shoot anyone who tries to escape.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

the caracal kid said:
TenPenny,
i didn't suggest training this person to become a childcare provider of any sort.

However, i think that the benefit to society can be found within each individual. We still have plenty to learn on ourselves, and case studies can provide a good deal of information from which to direct further study.

I also have a great deal of difficulty in punishing somebody for something beyond their control (should it be a "hardwired" problem). Treatment to the point of being able to live "within boundaries" is a reasonable exercise. While the person may never be free within society again, that does not rule out their ability to contribute from within restricted conditions.

Now acts that are premeditated or out of selfish controlable drives, then I can understand your desire for a harsher sentencing, but still death is beyond reason to me. (harsher meaning less privilages while incarcerated)

You're suggesting that this problem is "hardwired", and beyond a person's ability to control, yet somehow the person will be responsive to treatment, or able to live within boundaries.

I disagree. In my opinion, anyone can overcome urges like this, if they want to. Alcoholics can quit drinking, if they want to. It's a choice. Each person on this earth has to be responsible for their own actions. There are a lot of people claiming they're addicted to sex, or they "can't" lose weight. Right. It's called self control.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC

TenPenny said:
You're suggesting that this problem is "hardwired", and beyond a person's ability to control, yet somehow the person will be responsive to treatment, or able to live within boundaries.

I disagree. In my opinion, anyone can overcome urges like this, if they want to. Alcoholics can quit drinking, if they want to. It's a choice. Each person on this earth has to be responsible for their own actions. There are a lot of people claiming they're addicted to sex, or they "can't" lose weight. Right. It's called self control.

I disagree with that, TenPenny. I'm an alcoholic ... sober since 1987. Wasn't just a matter of will that got me out of the bottle! Lots of forms of behavioural and cognitive therapy (including AA) is what worked for me. But it certainly wasn't will ... and I am wilfull!!

I don't think this guy can stop being a pedophile any more than I can stop being gay or you can stop being straight (if that's your orientation). It's an integral part of who we are. Unfortunately, being a pedophile harms others. I don't believe it can be rehabilitated.

So we do agree with the way this guy should be dealt with, but for different reasons. :)

Juan ... your suggestion is the most practical! Although I kinda feel a nice clean needle might be more humane than your option.

As for studying them, Caracal ... I don't want my tax dollars going to that. I'd rather see it put toward medical or education. Perhaps if our society was in a position to take care of the other needs, I would agree with you. I'm enormously curious about why people think and do the things they do. But at this point, the money is needed elsewhere. I could Google it and get an exact amount, but I don't need to do that to know it's a ton of loot every time we keep one of these guys locked up.

And the worst part??? This guy will be out in 4 years. That scares the crap out of me. The option of capital punishment isn't even on this table. In fact neither is keeping this freak locked up and away from children. Something seriously wrong with the system, imho.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
A quote from an artical posted within another thread...

"It would keep "more offenders supervised in the community at $25 a day instead of incarcerated in a correctional facility at $162 a day," the documents say.

So $162.00 per day to keep someone in jail for life or $3.00 for the bullet?

so (162 x 365) x25 = 1478250..... vs $3.00

Are we getting our moneys worth here?

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
I have to agree with the caracel kid on this one. However, a longer sentence should have been given, 15 years to start with too life.

Sexual crimes should be treated more like murder, or even worse, because sometimes with murder you act out of action, you don't think, but with sexual abuse or sexual assault cases, the people have a problem so they know that they will be commiting this crime on a certain person, child or adult.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
cosmo,

if 100% of pedophiles were not capable of being successfully treated i could understand your argument. However, even though the current success rates are low, the fact that some can be rehabilitated and the fact that we have no way of predicting which ones will rehabilitate prior to treatment, suggests that a "death penalty" conviction is akin to sentencing some people not just for the current crime, but potential future crimes. That seems cruel and unusual to me.

Jay,
the cost of the bullet vs treatment & incarceration may be true, but what is the value of life itself, and who are we to arbitrarily take it?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Well, I don't think "arbitrarily" is the right word here. It is a well-deserved punishment to those that would receive it. You have to work pretty hard to come to the point when society deems you unfit to live anymore.

As for the value of life....I think it is possible to rid yourself of that value when you cross a particular line.

59K could go along way to help a few families over the coarse of a year...

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
so you are more comfortable with the money going to socially accepted raping, pillaging, plundaring, killing than to socially unaccepted raping, pillaging, plundaring, killing?