Jane Creba

GreenGreta

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2005
Lala Land
My saddest condolences to the Creba family after the horrific loss of their daughter. The loss of a child is the worst, but to lose them at Christmas time for no reason, has to be the most painful.

Hopefully something can finally be done about this insane gang violence in Toronto. It really has to stop.

Suzique39

Dec 27, 2005
That was a sad event, and that it is happening here in Canada makes it even sadder. We aren't that sort of people, yet it has happened. Now what do we do to make our country safer from that sort of criminal?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I think you're missing the root of the problem. Humans cannot live in such high numbers in small spaces. Toronto has long passed the sustainable population.

The solution is to take about 1/2 the population of Southern Ontario and spread them across the country. Not that anyone would want them.

The social,electrical, transportation, civil, and political infrastructure of the whole southern Ontario region is pretty much beyond repair.

JomZ

Electoral Member
Aug 18, 2005
Reentering the Fray at CC.net
I send my condolences to those who are suffering from this loss.

I am still pretty stunned by all this. Its hard to fathom when my old university was a block away, that I walked by there almost on a daily basis. That this tragedy happened right there.

People ask themselves why did this happen and the answer is quite simple and unfortunate; stupid and ignorant people do stupid and ignorant things. Like solve problems with guns.

There maybe other issues such as the cycle of violence, and nature vs. nurture arguments, yet we must consider the utter ignorance to these people and their actions.

The sad fact is that it took the death of this young woman to make all of us come together to finally realise this problem isn't relegated to the impoverished areas of the city, but its now becoming a daily occurence in an even more public setting.

One thing to note:
The two men arrested at the subway station were charged in connection to the shooting.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/12/30/newshooting-Toronto051230.html

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
Re: RE: Jane Creba

Suzique39 said:
That was a sad event, and that it is happening here in Canada makes it even sadder. We aren't that sort of people, yet it has happened. Now what do we do to make our country safer from that sort of criminal?

Can you please explain to me how the loss of a child is sadder in Canada than it would be anywhere else?

Uncle

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
uncle,

"frame of reference", it is always more emotional when it is closer to you (you relate to it in more ways) because the closer it is to you, the more you can imagine it happening to yourself.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Re: RE: Jane Creba

unclepercy said:
Can you please explain to me how the loss of a child is sadder in Canada than it would be anywhere else?
I think I understand what she meant ... here in Canada we are less exposed to violence than other parts of the world. We just don't experience it as much. Maybe it's because we have a smaller population? I dunno. We are exposed, predominantly through the media, to all the horrible things going on in the rest of the world. Famine, disease, disaster ... and Canada experiences relatively little of that. When was the last time we had to face anything like the New Orleans flood or the everyday killings that happen in say, Detroit? We don't.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Suzique39, but I don't think she was saying the loss of the child is sadder in Canada, per se, but that we tend not to expect that kind of violence here. Us Canadians are more worried about being attacked by a grizzly than being shot in an act of random violence!

I don't think any disrespect was intended, Uncle. :)

iamcanadian

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
www.expose-ontario.org
Crimes of most kind can be solved and prevented by offering rewards to people that come forward with evidence of crime. By taking money otherwise wasted in Gun registry and confiscation or other boondogle plans, simply use a fraction of that money to give rewards to regular citizens that have information. The cops can then go and investigate leads based on evidence which will obtained directly with the money.

People will be less inclined to commit crimes when they know that any one around them might snitch and cash in on the reward money.

The Police (or anything else) cannot prevent crime they can only deal with crime after it is committed. This is where the money should go.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
My sincere condolences go out to all those affected by this terrible tragedy.

In relation to some of the comments made above, I would agree that under a frame of reference this tragedy seems evermore terrible for having been committed in Canada. I hold my own nation to a far higher standard than I do others. One must lead by example, eh?

As for strategies for combatting crime, the declaration of a handgun ban is a psychological deterrent to those who are on the brink of committing a crime (so long as this declaratory policy doesn't cost too much), but perhaps it's time for the Hon. Irwin Cotler (assuming he's elected) should begin drafting "tougher" legislation on gun crime sentences; that is, perhaps stronger minimum sentencing policy is required.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Now that is how you get a grasp on gun violence. Ethnic shit be damned, enough is enough. A-Bros to HA to Yoyo its doesnt matter. Violence isnt a race, it's a lifestyle and up yours if you are idiotic enough to believe it is racial.