Quebec Policewoman shot and killed

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Quebec policewoman shot and killed
Dec. 14, 2005. 06:45 PM
CANADIAN PRESS

LAVAL, Que. — What started as a routine call to an apartment building today ended with the death of a 25-year-old woman police officer who was shot and later succumbed to her injuries.
Valerie Gignac, 25, had served with the Laval municipal police force for four years, said police Chief Jean-Paul Gariepy.

More :(

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Quebec Policewoman sh

Saw part of the funeral on TV today.

Thousands march at funeral of slain officer

A teaser:

Thousands of police officers marched through the streets of Laval, Que. Tuesday at the funeral of slain police officer Valerie Gignac.

About 3,000 officers from across Canada and the United States were in Laval to pay their respects to their comrade, who was killed in the line of duty last Wednesday. [/teaser]

[OT] BTW- I see a former RCMP officer was shot and killed today in Haiti, he was there as Part of a Peacekeeping force.

Calberty

Electoral Member
Dec 7, 2005
I got home today and turned on CBC newsword...funeral on television. Switched to CTV...funeral on.

I have sympathy for the individual and the family and agree the actual shooting is a new story but the eulogy by a priest?

Yes, I did have to slap myself today and be more understanding. Why? when I heard of the Mountie shot in Haiti my first thought was 'will this be on the news ad nauseum and another funeral, etc.?"

Maybe the news channels have too much time to fill but I do like news and current events. The media circus around some events takes on a life of its own. Now, every time a police officer is killed in Canada do we have to sit throught the whole funeral?

It would be nice if there was a balance of news coverage, a bit of follow up and perspective.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Quebec Policewoman sh

Well I guess because it is so rare that police constables (and Soldiers) die on the job, the networks still consider it "big and important" news, or maybe they are more caring and compassionate compared to , lets say US news networks? I dunno, but personally I do not mind the fact the networks show these things.

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Sure, it is important. These are our protectors. We honour them for doing this work.

This incident brings up Gun Control. Not much spoken of it so far, its the wrong 'evidence' for conservative media. It shows that "long guns" are dangerous in criminal acts.

It also shows that Canada's gun control laws didn't help, but thats because of they way they were applied, not that gun control doesn't work.

This guy didn't need a gun permit for hunting. We needed himn to be banned from all guns. Hunting just doesn't over-ride public of police safety.

The gun control and its high price to taxpayers isn't working if they murderers have guns for hunting season.

Its also evidence that the "long guns" also need to be controlled.

-----------

Sympathies to all police people, we honor your courage to continue doing your job despite the dangers.

ole_tex

Nov 6, 2005
Re: RE: Quebec Policewoman sh

no1important said:
Well I guess because it is so rare that police constables (and Soldiers) die on the job, the networks still consider it "big and important" news, or maybe they are more caring and compassionate compared to , lets say US news networks? I dunno, but personally I do not mind the fact the networks show these things.

You folks are shore lucky. Police officers here die tragically every darn week. They shore got muh respect. Performin' a public service duty all the while puttin' their lives at risk. It ain't no bed of roses.

I cannot imagine the grief the family members of this policewoman are going through. If it were up tuh me, tuh help discourage reoccurance of tragedies of this nature, I would fill up stadiums and have folks cheer as the hungry lions came out for their food.

Calberty

Electoral Member
Dec 7, 2005
Karlin said:
This incident brings up Gun Control. Not much spoken of it so far, its the wrong 'evidence' for conservative media. It shows that "long guns" are dangerous in criminal acts.

I find it unfortunate that folks use a policeman's death to make political points.

gd

Dec 11, 2005
A WPC wound up being shot dead a few weeks back in Britian.

Pritty nasty state of affairs.

Breakthrough2006

Electoral Member
Dec 2, 2005
This guy didn't need a gun permit for hunting. We needed himn to be banned from all guns. Hunting just doesn't over-ride public of police safety.

How would "banning" him from all guns made a difference? He should have never been let out of jail. THAT would have prevented this tragedy, not a ban on guns.

Its also evidence that the "long guns" also need to be controlled.

They are controlled and it only cost us $2 Billion dollars.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The shooter was under a court order not to be in possession of firearms, except during hunting season AND under the immediate supervision of a specific person (a hunting buddy, I assume)

Obviously, he ignored these conditions.

Obviously, the entire system failed.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
I'm in full agreement of removing all gun rights to any convicted felon or any individual convicted of any kind of gun related crime. No exceptions for hunting season.

Montreal Gazette: Wildlife Officers Want Tougher Hunting Rules

Montreal Gazette:

Wildlife officers demand tougher hunting rules
Halt gun licence exceptions: union. Recent killing of Laval police officer highlights holes in licensing guidelines

DEBBIE PARKES, The Gazette
Published: Thursday, December 29, 2005

The union representing Quebec's 500 provincial wildlife officers has renewed a demand that the province automatically revoke the right to hunt of anyone barred from possessing a gun.

The move was prompted by the recent killing of Laval police officer Valerie Gignac, union president Paul Legault said.

If a person is too dangerous to possess a gun, they shouldn't be allowed to hunt, said Legault, who first requested the change in a letter to Natural Resources and Wildlife Minister Pierre Corbeil two years ago, and renewed it in another letter on Tuesday.

Corbeil has asked his staff to study the union's request, department spokesperson Marie-France Boulay said yesterday.

When the request was made two years ago, Corbeil turned it down.

Gignac, 25, was shot dead on Dec. 14 while responding to a routine call. The man charged with first-degree murder in the case, Francois Pepin, had been prohibited by a judge in 1999 from possessing a firearm, but an exception was made for hunting season.

During Gignac's funeral service, her brother, Steeve Gignac, said he hoped his sister's death would send a "clear and coherent message."

Legault said automatically revoking the hunting licence of anyone prohibited by a judge from possessing a firearm wouldn't be a sure fix, as guns can be obtained illegally, but the change would provide another level of control, he said.

Wildlife officers don't have access to the provincial police database.

If they stop a hunter, about the only thing they can ask to see is a hunting permit.

If the hunter produces one, there's little the wildlife officer can do, he said. However, if a person doesn't produce a hunting permit, the officer can confiscate the individual's weapons.

That said, wildlife officers can ask a local police detachment to do a police database check on a hunter, Legault said.

A few years ago, some officers did, and found out that a few hunters they felt were behaving suspiciously had in fact been prohibited from possessing firearms, Legault said.

In those cases, the judges hadn't even made an exception for hunting season, Legault said.

Legault explained that, in Quebec, people wishing to buy a hunting permit must first obtain a hunting certificate, which requires passing a short course on hunting and gun safety.

These are normally valid for a person's lifetime, but the permits must be purchased annually.

The idea would be for people to automatically have their hunting certificate revoked if prohibited by a judge from possessing a gun, with no exceptions for hunting season, Legault said.

"If we ask them for their hunting permit and they don't have one, we'll be able to intervene," he said.

Legault also said his union has long been fighting for access to the police database.

"We've been asking for that for 10 years, for the security of our officers," he said.