Canada 'not at its best, just at the moment'

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Ottawa — Two years ago, the influential British magazine The Economist surprised itself with a declaration that Canada was “rather cool.”

It still finds the country cool, but “not at its best, just at the moment.”

The latest edition says Canada is beset by dysfunctional politics, grumpy anti-Americanism and three brewing political storms: one in the West, one in Quebec and one in its relations with the United States.

The business-oriented publication is running a 14-page special report and a lead editorial on Canada.

It's upbeat about Canada's overall prospects: “Peaceful, diverse, tolerant (in June gay marriages became legal throughout the country) and with long-term riches to boot — if this isn't ‘cool', what is?”

However, it points to building political turbulence.

Link

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
ITN wrote:
The latest edition says Canada is beset by dysfunctional politics, grumpy anti-Americanism and three brewing political storms: one in the West, one in Quebec and one in its relations with the United States.

I realize you didn't write the thing but, an American posting about dysfunctional politics? We are going through an election right now and our federal election is a hell of a lot more real and valid than the brainless, year long, circle jerk, that elected G.W. twice in a row. Most of you didn't even bother voting and you post about our politics being dysfunctional? Give your head a shake. If a lot of Canadians are anti-American, that puts them in line with most of the world.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Man, we're screaming like sports fans: My team, my hero with all his faults is better than yours.

Heh, heh. Ho ho.

The Americans and Canadians are more similar in lifestyle, culture, psychology, environment than say in comparison to someone in Kuwait, or Iraq.

But you wouldn't know that on this board.

Our political opinions are perhaps the most least significant and narrowest parts of our lives.

But for those of us, including me, who have some inner pathetic compulsion to battle the issues of politics need to once again resume our regularly scheduled programming.

This has just been a test, and only a test of the emergency cyber broadcasting system.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Re: RE: Canada 'not at its best, just at the moment'

jimmoyer said:
Man, we're screaming like sports fans: My team, my hero with all his faults is better than yours.

Well it is. Siss, boom, bah! :glasses10:

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

Said1 said:
jimmoyer said:

Well it is. Siss, boom, bah! :glasses10:
:wink:

So there :!: :!:

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
#juan said:
ITN wrote:

I realize you didn't write the thing but, an American posting about dysfunctional politics? We are going through an election right now and our federal election is a hell of a lot more real and valid than the brainless, year long, circle jerk, that elected G.W. twice in a row. Most of you didn't even bother voting and you post about our politics being dysfunctional? Give your head a shake. If a lot of Canadians are anti-American, that puts them in line with most of the world.

good post..... probably in line with the rest of the world.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital

jimmoyer said:
Farthead ?

Canadians not at their best? Weak attempt at thread continuity. Sorry.

Beeeowip Phooomf.

Hmmmm, no. Farthead.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
#juan said:

Why are you killing the messenger juan? Do you still think you’re on the hate site you came from? I’d like to think this place doesn’t tolerate this and yet since Ocean Breeze agreed with you, without her usual comment of OFF TOPIC, I’m having second thoughts. How does an American posting this negate the contents of the article?

Why didn’t you bother commenting on it? Did the economist burst your bubble?

Since when is it a pre-requisite to be a Canadian to post something about Canada? Or does criticism work one way in the Great White North? I’ve noticed in some of your posts you are very sensitive about criticism on Canada. You’re another one that doesn’t practice what they preach.

What makes you think you are any better for keeping a corrupt government in power for 12 years simply out of fear of the boogey man (CPC) and probably re-elect them for the same reason?

Since when can you claim political superiority when you don’t even vote for half the people that govern you?

Maybe it's time you shake your head and ooze out some of the bigotry.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
the article you posted ITN.....is quite accurate. Ca is NOT in its best form at the moment. and hasn't been for a while. It might take more than the election to get things back on track again.. or a new and improved track. Maybe it is the continuous growing pains of a relatively new nation too.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Hold on ITN

You posted the thing under the banner,"Canada 'not at its best, just at the moment", and quoted "political dysfunction" as one of the causes. When I think of all the damage your country has done all over the world because of the U.S.'s "political dysfunction", I get sick to my stomach. I say again, I know you didn't write, it but you posted it. If you posted it in jest, I apologise for my overblown reply.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
#juan said:
Hold on ITN

You posted the thing under the banner,"Canada 'not at its best, just at the moment", and quoted "political dysfunction" as one of the causes. When I think of all the damage your country has done all over the world because of the U.S.'s "political dysfunction", I get sick to my stomach. I say again, I know you didn't write, it but you posted it. If you posted it in jest, I apologise for my overblown reply.

Not so fast #juan

In jest? :? I posted "Canada 'not at its best, just at the moment" because that is the title of the article, I didn't pull it out of a hat. Further, I didn't quote "political dysfunction", nor did I bold it in any way, I copied and pasted a few paragraphs from the beginning of the article and provided a link for the remainder, according to the new rules of this board, a rule I might add that YOU apparently help put together since you are a member of the Board of Directors.

And I don't give a flying f*ck who or what makes you sick to your stomach, that is NO reason to go off on me because of my nationality (unless you're a bigot) or for providing news that I thought Canadians would like to read since it is relative to Canada.

If you don't like what I post, don't read it, don't blow it off or diminish the contents of the article by resorting to personal attacks or hatred. :roll:

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
ITN

Now your pissing me off, juan, one of nicest posters around here, wow! your really should do something about your anger. First off, just my opinion of course, you knew exactly what you were doing with that post, and you got the reaction you wanted. Perhaps you consider it tit for tat. Now I don't see how juan was attacking you personally, he was attacking your government. Although it does seem you are unable to tell the difference.

Anyhos, most of us can give it right back, but be warned, I will not let you go after the softer gentler posters around here.

Do Dee Doo Dooo Do Dee Doo Dooo..

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
peapod said:
ITN

Now your pissing me off, juan, one of nicest posters around here, wow! your really should do something about your anger. First off, just my opinion of course, you knew exactly what you were doing with that post, and you got the reaction you wanted. Perhaps you consider it tit for tat. Now I don't see how juan was attacking you personally, he was attacking your government. Although it does seem you are unable to tell the difference.

Anyhos, most of us can give it right back, but be warned, I will not let you go after the softer gentler posters around here.

Do Dee Doo Dooo Do Dee Doo Dooo..

bravo sweetpea!! seems ITN has had a very angry and bad day as no one has escaped his pointed wrath. How many topics has he derailed today???

this is not an "attack"......it is an observation. as getting a bit tired of stating "off topic " hoping they will get a frichen clue.

same old story..........can't post something valid about the SUBJECT matter.......so they ATTACK the posters. ITN has hit a record for one day. ...........(and yes.......we is watching for poster bashing --as that is more offensive and destructive then any frichen frich word . :wink: