Conrad Black

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
I bet he's regretting giving up his Canadian citizenship now. He plead Not guilty yesterday to charges of embezzlement in Chicago. Which is just wrong,as i am sure he embezzled while living here and while living in England,too. Perhaps His Lordship will receive some of that good old fashioned American justice.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Greenspan is one of the top lawyers certainly. He may have a hard time collecting his fee if Black loses tho. Right now,the US has seized all of Black's US properties.

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
I don't really think that Conrad Black is doin' anything but tryin' to stay out of jail. His co-accused (testifying against him) got 2 years or more and that was after he cut a deal and agreed to testify.

Conrad (The Clown) is just tryin' to stall his jail time date. He knows he's gonna get at least 3 years and the only reason he wants his Canadian citizenship back is so that he can serve his sentence in Canada.

All I remember about Conrad Black and his newspaper chain, is how he lectured us poor folks on how to live and about trusting corporations and the people who lead them.

I hope the clown gets the "time" of his life!

Calm

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Ahhhh poor Conrad :( Boo hooo the fecking thief.Throw the book at em .Piece of garbage did nothing but run Canada down stay the feck out I say .Piece of crap thief :twisted:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
There are those who make a fortune and put it all in their pockets, and run away (ie, Black); there are those who make a fortune and keep investing it in their own communities and more industries and jobs(any of you ever met any of the Irvings?). I know which one I think has better morals and ethics.

Some people are only deserving of contempt.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
The issue with his giving up his citizenship had to do with Cretien, did it not? I seem to recall him being offered the lordship, and then Cretien stepping in (as PM) and saying a canadian citizen can not be a british lord, which aggitated black so much he denounced canada.

does anybody remember the entire tale?

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Re: RE: Conrad Black

the caracal kid said:
The issue with his giving up his citizenship had to do with Cretien, did it not? I seem to recall him being offered the lordship, and then Cretien stepping in (as PM) and saying a canadian citizen can not be a british lord, which aggitated black so much he denounced canada.

does anybody remember the entire tale?

You've pretty much got it there. Chretien was always a petty, small man. I think the whole sorry mess reflects more on Chretien than Black.

PoisonPete2

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2005
he's got one of the sharpest lawyers money can rent. I would not want to be facing a Federal U.S. court on the matter though. Their evidencial restrictions are skewed in favour of the prosecution and Fitzgerald (?) is going for congressional possibilities.

As to his citizenship matter, well money walks, but please no promisary notes, or credit cards. Where's the cash Black.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
U.S. charges Conrad Black with racketeering, obstruction

A teaser:

Prosecutors in the United States on Thursday added four new charges of racketeering, wire fraud, money laundering and obstruction of justice to the eight fraud charges Conrad Black already faces.

The new charges were contained in an indictment returned by a grand jury in Chicago and announced by U.S. District Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald.

The obstruction charge relates to an incident in May when Black and two employees were seen on videotape lugging boxes out the back door of the downtown Toronto office of Hollinger Inc., the company from which he once ruled his news empire. [/end of teaser]

I wonder if he will get convicted and if so if he will go to prison? He did not look to concerned on news tonight.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
With an ego the size he has,he must wonder why 'the little people' have it in for him. How could mere peasants pass judgement on HIM. :)

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
Conrad Black is fried! He is royally screwed.

First the lawyers will bleed him dry for all his money, and if his money dries up before he is on his deathbed .... he will be pleading guilty.

Not too many people can take on the U.S. system and win. Greenspan does not know RICO laws and stuff like that. Plus; it must of really offended folks in the U.S. for a foreigner to turn up as the defence team. The new charges are actually a way or means to fire Greenspan.

Conrad Black is just paying lawyers so as to stay out of jail. He will stall this case just like Pinochet did in Argentina .... til he is able to claim a "feeble mind". It will take years and years for this case to reach final convictions. By that time, Conrad Black will claim to be too senile to appear for further court challenges. I expect to hear that he enters a hospital sometime before his trial date and where he begins to lay the groundwork of slight strokes and for his ultimate "feeble mind" plea and heart conditions.

He will drop his lawyer and buy a doctor pretty soon.

Calm