Why is this guy still in the country????

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
british columbia news
Thursday, Dec 01, 2005

Deportation questions raised about sex offender

VANCOUVER (CBC) - Immigration officials refuse to say why a man convicted this week of a brutal sexual assault in Surrey - who had two previous convictions - had not already been deported back to his native Somalia.

Mohamed Hagi Mohamud, 33, abducted Erika Martyn near Surrey's Gateway SkyTrain station earlier this year, took her at knifepoint to a nearby home where he beat and raped her.

The attack lasted for more than four hours.But Martyn didn't give up, and fought back for four hours before she finally escaped.

http://tinyurl.com/c9nnz

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I think a better question is: Why isn't he on death row?

JomZ

Electoral Member
Aug 18, 2005
Reentering the Fray at CC.net
Immigration officials refuse to say why a man convicted this week of a brutal sexual assault in Surrey - who had two previous convictions - had not already been deported back to his native Somalia.

This is just another example of how inefficient our immigration service is. Although, this also shows how way too lenient our legal system is, when this man is not pursued by the law and then jailed for only four and a half years for something this brutal.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
british columbia news
Thursday, Dec 01, 2005 Email this to a friend
print this page

Deportation questions raised about sex offender

VANCOUVER (CBC) - Immigration officials refuse to say why a man convicted this week of a brutal sexual assault in Surrey - who had two previous convictions - had not already been deported back to his native Somalia.

Mohamed Hagi Mohamud, 33, abducted Erika Martyn near Surrey's Gateway SkyTrain station earlier this year, took her at knifepoint to a nearby home where he beat and raped her.

The attack lasted for more than four hours.But Martyn didn't give up, and fought back for four hours before she finally escaped.

Notebooks: Free Shipping on Notebooks

The mother of three - who is still suffering from serious internal injuries - says wants to know why her attacker wasn't red-flagged by immigration authorities before he got to her.

"I'm pissed off. They let him leave there without any supervision or alertness to anyone of how violent this guy is."

Mohamud - who isn't a Canadian citizen - had previously been convicted in Toronto of assault with a weapon in 1997 and of assault causing bodily harm in 2002.

Free Memory Upgrade on Select Dell PCs

Immigration officials say a criminal who isn't Canadian is usually sent to a hearing where a decision is made about deportation.

Canada Border Services Agency spokesperson Janice Ferguson says a hearing was recommended for Mohamud six years after his first conviction.

"An immigration warrant was issued out of Toronto on December 2004."

"But Ferguson refused to say why Mohamud wasn't sent for a hearing earlier, citing privacy concerns."

We have gone insane.

I remember an article about thirty-some very dangerous criminals under deportation orders loose in Canada......but the gov't won't tell you their names or descriptions because of privacy concerns.

It's simple, really. You are not a Canadian citizen?

You go to prison (2 years +)? You've therefore committed a serious offense.

When your sentence is almost over, you are transported from the prison directly to an airport, and flown back to your country of origin, and I don't give a damn how you are treated there.

annabattler

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2005
After the conviction, he is warehoused,at taxpayers expense(about $90,00/year),is solicited by any number of "free" lawyers,who then work on appeals and the like...again,at taxpayers expense.
I don't know if the man is a refugee claimant,or a bona fide immigrant applicant.
Whatever...we don't need him.
It's unfortunate that so many mentally ill folk seem to get into our country. Most Somalis are refugees,and have suffered terribly at the hands of tribal chieftains in Somalia.
That being said,it's important to keep in mind that many have no formal education to speak of,and know nothing of Canada or its' culture.
There doesn't seem to be any federal/provincial co-operation plan in terms of offering well-rounded services to refugees.It's one thing to welcome them into Canada..it's equally as important to invest in them,to try to ensure their success in their new homeland.

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
Re: RE: Why is this guy still in the country????

Jay said:
I think a better question is: Why isn't he on death row?

You mean "Why don't we bring back the Death Penalty?"

Shit, I don't know - maybe you should ask Guy Paul Morin, Thomas Sophonow, Donald Marshall, David Milgaard, Stephen Truscott, Hurricane Carter or many others...