you should write to gov. to get 50 cents banned at border

to you think canadian governement should ban all artist promoting firearm violence in canada?

• no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

s_pics

Nov 23, 2005
banff and montreal
immigration minister joe Volpe as been asked by a liberal colleague( dan mcteague) to stop rap artist 50 cent from coming to canada. "half a looney" is launching a canadian tour dec. 3 in vancouver. rapper is know to promotes gun violence.

I would like you to write to joe volpe to ask him to act on that now!!!
or
write to mcteague to thanks him

the former one is of priority if we want to block 50 cent to enter our peacefull country

joe volpe:
Room 658, Confederation Building
House of Commons
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0A6
Phone: (613) 992-6361
Fax: (613) 992-9791
e-mail: volpej@parl.gc.ca

mcteague:
dan@mcteague.ca

please do
simon

Roy

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2005
Alberta
RE: you should write to gov. to get 50 cents banned at borde

nah...why ban him, people will hear his crappy music anyways. the funny thing is that this is coming from the liberals, I would of thought this was a conservative thing.

s_pics

Nov 23, 2005
banff and montreal

yeah and what about all that gun related violence in toronto, and street gang in vancouver, montreal calgary winipeg...........this is not cause the music theese guys listen to but its may be a part of it.....

Roy

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2005
Alberta
Re: you should write to gov. to get 50 cents banned at borde

yeah and what about all that gun related violence in toronto, and street gang in vancouver, montreal calgary winipeg...........this is not cause the music theese guys listen to but its may be a part of it.

so what are you gonna do ban him from canada, ban his cds? people will just get the music on the internet and other ways, there is no way to stop it...it would be funny though if someone was caught at the border trying to smuggle in gangster rap cd from the states, lol

PoisonPete2

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2005

the Rapper 50 Cent is one of the best talents to come out of America in the last 10 years. Certainly the best Rapper. His product is tight, his arrangements are as good as Prince's at his best.

Rappers often create from their experience. That 50 comes from a violent culture is not his doing. Should we censor an artist because he reflects reality, or do something as a society to end the violence. We should start by banning war and censuring warmongers (ie Lockheed, General Dynamic, Grummen, Boing, Colt ETC).

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

I was hearing about this earlier today. It's not that the ban is for advocating gun use, but there's a law...I think it's charter 23, I cant remember. Which essentially means that anyone with a criminal record cannot cross the border.

What made me think is that 50 cent more or less has the ok, and somehow overrides the law. Then I couldn't help but remember that poor sot last winter who had to sneak across the border to meet with his internet companion, because he couldn't cross the border because of past convictions. He was found in a farmers field in Manitoba practically frozen, lost toes & fingers and was shipped back south of the border.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.

He's scheduled to do a show at our Harbour Station and I don't particularly want him here. His audiences are either like him or wannabes..and besides that: All Rap Is Crap

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Re: RE: you should write to gov. to get 50 cents banned at b

Roy said:
nah...why ban him, people will hear his crappy music anyways. the funny thing is that this is coming from the liberals, I would of thought this was a conservative thing.

Dan McTeague is my MP - he is a strong social conservative. I don't believe in censorship, but there is a grain of truth here somewhere. Some areas of TO have a serious gun violence problem, and a strong gang culture that allows this to persist. It would be a simplification to say that its because of TV and rap music, but it certainly doesnt' help.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

"I don't believe in censorship BUT....."

Right. It's always the "but" that gets you.

Once it was Alice Cooper we were supposed to be scared of, then Ozzy, then Marilyn Manson. Before that, it was people like Louis Armstrong, or, God Forbid, Paul Robeson. Don't forget Pete Seeger and Woody Guthrie.

Tresson

Nominee Member
Apr 22, 2005

If Marlyn Manson showed us anything it's that trying to ban someone from playing music you don't like for whatever reason just makes them more popular and gets them more fans.

Baning him will only get moe poeple of these kids to listen to him and those who already listen to him will believe him to be some sort of hero because, "Whitey tried to get rid of him."

Blaming music is bloody stupid anyways. There are far more important issues that cause these shootings then violent music. So how about we solve those first?

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.

TenPenny; Big difference is all those you named have talent :) FiddyCent isn't even woth that much.

s_pics

Nov 23, 2005
banff and montreal

missile said:
He's scheduled to do a show at our Harbour Station and I don't particularly want him here. His audiences are either like him or wannabes..and besides that: All Rap Is Crap
i just red in the calgary sun that last in his last in toronto (2003).
there was some gun related incident......................they did not tell more than that.................wannabes!!!!!!!!!!

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

The only real issue for whether Fifty Cent should be allowed into the country is his criminal record. The usual test for that is if there is a risk that he will re-offend while in Canada. I don't have a lot of fear that Fifty Cent is going to get into a gun batle while he's here.

The other factor that should be considered, because those that would keep Fifty Cent out have made it an issue, is that there was a shooting at the last concert that he had in Canada. Since there's likely to be a rather violent demonstration if the concert is cancelled, it's likely better to let the show go on.

Besides, somebody got knifed at a Waylon Jennings concert I was at once. I never saw it and didn't know about it until I saw the news the next day, but it still happened. I doubt Jennings ever heard about it. Waylon was known abuser of cocaine, a sometimes violent drunk, had a reputation for being a little hard on hotel rooms, was a proponent of firearms, and his music was disliked by a lot of people. He came back to Canada several times for major tours after the knifing incident.

Let Fifty Cent come and do whatever it is he does.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Re: RE: you should write to gov. to get 50 cents banned at b

TenPenny said:
"I don't believe in censorship BUT....."

Right. It's always the "but" that gets you.

Once it was Alice Cooper we were supposed to be scared of, then Ozzy, then Marilyn Manson. Before that, it was people like Louis Armstrong, or, God Forbid, Paul Robeson. Don't forget Pete Seeger and Woody Guthrie.

Hey, I agree. As much as I dislike Fiddy's image and the culture it perpetuates, I dislike censorship even more. Who decides? Blah... who cares - we have more serious things to focus on.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

missile said:

I'm with ya on that, Missile. All Rap IS Crap.

But I'm against censorship.....so I voted to let him in.

I was expressing my disgust to my son during deer season......he suggested I shoot him and claim I thought he was a buck........You know 50 cent...a buck...

(GROANS from all around)

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.

I heard this today: Saint John is the 3rd ranked Canadian city in violent crimes. Edmonton,Alta is 1st and Halifax,NS is #2. We had a fair amount of trouble here at the last Rap recital[refuse to call whatever it is as music].

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

Was his criminal record from before, or after, his last trips to Canada; his tour last year, the movie he did, etc etc.....

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.

His criminal record spans his entire life. How can someone claim not be be glamourizing the gangsta life style when wearing a bulletproof vest as all times..he even has his kid fitted out for one. he could be a total fake,too.Shot 9 times and lived thru it,my ass!