US bans BC poultry

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
The international standard for bans like this is 21 days. If there are no further issues at the end of that period, then the borders should reopen. If they do not, then it is nothing but protectionism.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: US bans BC poultry

no1important said:
Not surprised really. They set their trade agreements by paranoia and not science as we seen with beef.

no1important said:
Hong Kong, Japan, ban B.C. poultry imports

Hong Kong and Japan have joined the United States and Taiwan in slapping an import ban on poultry imports from British Columbi

So are Hong Kong and Japan setting "their trade agreements by paranoia and not science" too?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Jim Morrisson said he ate more chicken than any man ever seen. I don't think he was talking about poultry though. ;-)

So are Hong Kong and Japan setting "their trade agreements by paranoia and not science" too?

Both have been noted for using health concerns to justify protectionism in the past.

Like I said...21 days without further incident and it becomes a matter of protectionism.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
I find it hard to believe that there was no protocol in place before this happened to deal with a situation like this. This virus cannot be contained at the border - its seems to be spread by migratory birds among other ways.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
It's because we have reactive governments, MMMike. Scientists have been warning about this and similar problems for decades, but their recommendations were rejected as scare tactics and the rantings of animal rights activists trying to shut down factory farms.

It's to their credit that they aren't issuing press releases saying "Told ya so...losers," and participating in group moonings on Parliament Hill.