Things looking black for Black

pastafarian

Electoral Member
Oct 25, 2005
in the belly of the mouse
OK, I admit it. I've been basking in schaudenfreude, if that's how you spell it.
:oops:
Yes inDEEDy, taking great pleasure in the misfortunes of another. :twisted:

But not just ANY other, oh no! Our formerly Canadian, Lord Black, the Man Who Would-Be Rupert Murdoch: our own, Scrooge, Ken Lay, Charles X and Gordon Gecko wrapped into one and his pretentious harpy of a mate Babs "Marie Antoinette" Amiel.

Nov. 17 (Bloomberg) -- Conrad Black, the onetime press magnate who built Hollinger International Inc. into the world's third-largest publisher of English-language newspapers, was charged with helping steal $51.8 million from the company.

The 61-year-old former chairman and chief executive officer of Hollinger International, along with three former company executives, was accused of wire fraud and mail fraud in an 11- count indictment unsealed in Chicago today. Prosecutors issued a warrant for the arrest of Black, who's been a British lord since 2001. He faces as much as 40 years in jail and $2 million in fines if convicted on all charges.

Black's prosecution is the highest-profile criminal case against a former CEO since the arrests last year of WorldCom Inc.'s Bernard Ebbers and Enron Corp.'s Kenneth Lay. At his peak, Black controlled Britain's Daily Telegraph, the Chicago Sun-Times, the Jerusalem Post and 60 percent of Canada's dailies, drawing comparisons to News Corp. chief Rupert Murdoch.

``Insiders at Hollinger -- all the way to the top of the corporate ladder -- whose job it was to safeguard the shareholders, made it their job to steal and conceal,'' U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald, whose office brought the charges, said in a statement.

I'm taking tomorrow off to Christmas shop, and I've already started drinking toasts to the Black Lord and his consort.

Cheers!! Ain't payback a bitch! :beer:

For you beer aficionados, that's an ice-cold Creemore Springs Premium Lager in that glass. It only looks like Guinness because of the light!

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
Close enough for a cigar with that Xmas Cheer, Pasta.

It's schadenfreude, literally "damage joy." :wink:

Now let's hope that Patrick Fitzgerald and his merry little elves can bring down the Bush cabal and stuff them into our stockings, too.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
No fan of Lord Black myself, I think the only decent thing he ever did was create the National Post.

I confess to a slight infatuation in the past with Barbara Amiel.

That is one bright, and beautiful woman.

Unfortunately, it seems she fell in with a bad crowd. :)

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Things looking black

Amiel is just as crooked as Black. She has no journalistic integrity whatsoever and has acted as an apologist for the white-collar criminal element fo as long as I can remember.

pastafarian

Electoral Member
Oct 25, 2005
in the belly of the mouse
She has no journalistic integrity whatsoever and has acted as an apologist for the white-collar criminal element fo as long as I can remember.

I confess to having had a morbid attraction to her vitriol against us mere mortals that used to lurk in the pages of Maclean's.

In fact, for a while, I believed she'd become anorexic, procured a dye-job, suffered a mildly debilitating head injury and lost her thesaurus about the time a certain "Ann Coulter" began to appear in print.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
pastafarian said:
She has no journalistic integrity whatsoever and has acted as an apologist for the white-collar criminal element fo as long as I can remember.

I confess to having had a morbid attraction to her vitriol against us mere mortals that used to lurk in the pages of Maclean's.

In fact, for a while, I believed she'd become anorexic, procured a dye-job, suffered a mildly debilitating head injury and lost her thesaurus about the time a certain "Ann Coulter" began to appear in print.

Now that's funny. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Two points for Pastafarian.

Ann Coulter is off the edge, her defense of McCartyism is way beyond the pale.

I didn't always agree with Amiel, far from it, but the woman's intelligence simply blazed through everything she wrote.

Alas, so much talent, so little moral fibre.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now