Teens accused of school assault released on bail

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
If these charges are indeed true, those guys who assaulted this girl should be locked up and perhaps even charged as adults, depending on the circumstances. In addition, if this girl is indeed telling the truth, and she can't go back to school due to fear of reprisals, the families of those repsonsible should pay her compensation for her ordeal. She will probably need to switch schools now.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Teens accused of scho

I wonder if they are under 18 and over 16 can they be raised to Adult court like they can for murder?

The one problem I have with Young Offenders law is they do not name the minors names. I have no problem with most of charges young offenders face keeping their names hidden but I do think for sex crimes and murder their names should be released so the neighbours/public know who they are. I know they are innocent until proven guilty but some crimes are so serious the public needs to be elertrd.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Re: RE: Teens accused of scho

no1important said:
I wonder if they are under 18 and over 16 can they be raised to Adult court like they can for murder?

The one problem I have with Young Offenders law is they do not name the minors names.

My guess would be if the nature of this crime was serious enough to warratnt it, these guys would get transferred to adult court. If they are man enough to commit adult crimes, they should be man enough to pay the adult penalty.

No law here on withholding names of young offenders. If they commit the crime, they will be in the public eye. This girl should give the names of these fellows to the news agencies here in the US. They will publish the names, no problem.

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario

no1important said:
. . . I have no problem with most of charges young offenders face keeping their names hidden but I do think for sex crimes and murder their names should be released so the neighbours/public know who they are. . .
You must remember that while the police have confiscated surveillance tapes and are expressing a high degree of confidence, the boys are still only accused of committing a sex crime.

The investigation is not complete, some of those arrested, or indeed all, may still prove to be innocent.

Even if they are guilty, I can see small advantage in society possessing the identity of any juvenile criminal.

Beyond vulgar curiosity, the only reason why it is necessary for prosecution to take place in public, with a full disclosure of all facts, is so that the public can insure that all criminals get a fair trial and, if found guilty, suffer an equitable penalty.

There is little danger that the boys will not get their day in court if incriminating evidence is developed. Nor is there need for concern that they will escape prosecution if proof of their wrongdoing is found.

Certainly, there is no need for concern at this early juncture.

Nascar_James said:
My guess would be if the nature of this crime was serious enough to warratnt it, these guys would get transferred to adult court. If they are man enough to commit adult crimes . . . .This girl should give the names of these fellows to the news agencies here in the US. They will publish the names, no problem.

As a Canadian, I am not so bloodthirsty as to begin speculation about how the accused should be charged while an investigation is still under way.

Neither would I council anybody to contravene Canadian civil law in a public forum.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA

GL Schmitt said:
Neither would I council anybody to contravene Canadian civil law in a public forum.

Publishing the names of the Canadian young offenders by US media is not contravening Canadian Civil Law. It doesn't apply here.

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario

Nascar_James said:
GL Schmitt said:

Publishing the names of the Canadian young offenders by US media is not contravening Canadian Civil Law. It doesn't apply here.
Let’s not get mealymouthed.

You were counselling the crown’s witness (who is a Canadian) to contravene Canadian law (in a Canadian legal case) by making public the names of juvenile defendants accused in a sex crime adjudication, before the investigation of that case has been completed.

Not only is that counselling to contravene Canadian law, but it is also, just that kind of sensationalistic activity one associates with rag-mannered scandal mongers, to boot.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

if this girl is indeed telling the truth, and she can't go back to school due to fear of reprisals, the families of those repsonsible should pay her compensation for her ordeal. She will probably need to switch schools now.
She's going to have to switch provinces......

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

well there are 16 boys, plus their friends and their girlfriends friends who know her face......

Plus all the relatives of the boys.....plus the relatives girlfriends and boyfriends and friends....it's just bloody messy.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I was wondering how long it would take before people started playing the race card with this. The answer is, not long. All kinds of supporters holding this up as systemic racism on the Toronto Police Force or on the Separate School Board. These professional victim's advocates are the truest form of bigots themselves. Everything is reduced to racial victimization, no sense of responsibility is recognized. Well all I can say to these guys, if they're guilty, and they sure sound like a gang of bullies and sexual predators.. is if you can't do the time, don't do the crime. But if you make a victim of someone else, don't go crying racism because its come back to make a victim of you. Those guilty of this deserve to be hammered.

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
coldstream said:
I was wondering how long it would take before people started playing the race card with this. . .
There has been racism originating from the Toronto Police department. It may have been cleaned up by now, and I wouldn’t know, but that kind of issue has a long shelf life.

Secondly, the optics are bad. Everyone charged happens to be black.

With no more knowledge than what has been in the media, the event seems to surround the high school basketball team. The last time I watched basketball, I did not see a Caucasian on the court.

So, despite the bad optics, the Toronto Police's actions may be justified.

But, let me repeat, racism has a long shelf life.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
GL Schmitt said:
coldstream said:
I was wondering how long it would take before people started playing the race card with this. . .
There has been racism originating from the Toronto Police department. It may have been cleaned up by now, and I wouldn’t know, but that kind of issue has a long shelf life.

Secondly, the optics are bad. Everyone charged happens to be black.

With no more knowledge than what has been in the media, the event seems to surround the high school basketball team. The last time I watched basketball, I did not see a Caucasian on the court.

So, despite the bad optics, the Toronto Police's actions may be justified.

But, let me repeat, racism has a long shelf life.

You know what I noticed from way down here in New Brunswick?

In the coverage given this in both national newspapers there were at least four mothers crying "innocent" for their sons and "racism" at the cops.

Note : mothers.

Where are the fathers?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I'm not sure what the "sexual assault" element of the whole thing is, it is mentioned but not really discussed.

At any rate, it's a wonderful thing that race is always the case; interesting how 16 people can be charged, and it's all racism. Wow.

And all the "experts" are "stunned" that the victim didn't feel she could come forward before. Well, then those "experts" don't live in the real world, do they? Despite all of the talk about ending bullying, if you rat on someone, you pay the consequences. That's all there is to it. And the response of the parents of the accused shows this is true. I'd like to hear some parents say, "i'm gonna get to the bottom of this, and my boy's gonna pay for his sins if guilty."

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"At any rate, it's a wonderful thing that race is always the case; interesting how 16 people can be charged, and it's all racism. Wow. "

Agreed. Funny how if you’re not "white" it becomes racism. To me it just shows who the real racists are.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Teens accused of school assault released on bail

TenPenny said:
I'm not sure what the "sexual assault" element of the whole thing is, it is mentioned but not really discussed.

At any rate, it's a wonderful thing that race is always the case; interesting how 16 people can be charged, and it's all racism. Wow.

And all the "experts" are "stunned" that the victim didn't feel she could come forward before. Well, then those "experts" don't live in the real world, do they? Despite all of the talk about ending bullying, if you rat on someone, you pay the consequences. That's all there is to it. And the response of the parents of the accused shows this is true. I'd like to hear some parents say, "i'm gonna get to the bottom of this, and my boy's gonna pay for his sins if guilty."

Exactly.

I wish I had said that.