Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
RE: WTO Rules against Can

History has shown that it is expected of Canada to bend over....again

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
What I don't get is that other WTO rulings were in our favor. Is every ruling done by a different panel or something? Or is it just a matter of doing it over and over and over and over and over...until you get a different answer and then go, "AH HA!"

Has anyone here tallied the For/against ratio on the WTO rulings on this issue so far?

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Well piss on them. We should stop selling them our lumber. Plus WTO does not have jurisdiction anyways, this is a Nafta thing and Nafta has ruled with us.

Funny how US only listens to world bodies when it suits them. The US signed Nafta and should live by it.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I think the NAFTA panel is wrong too.

But this should give us something to negotiate with or get the negotiation started.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Something is going to have to happen if we want to sell lumber to these guys.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
May I ask if you are surprised? Since I am so slow and so mean to old people, I guess I shouldn't say I am psychic and already knew this would happen. Uh, well, actually you don't even have to be psychic.

No, not surpised. In Canada we're use to having this kind of shit happen. I was surpised to learn you describe yourself as slow and mean to old people though. 8O

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
The Canadian government negotiated for the people of Canada, first with the American government, and then both the American and Mexican governments, in a tripartite trade agreement.

American business interests, in collusion with the present American government, have reneged on fulfilling their share of those treaties, at several junctures. In this, the latest American refusal to fulfill their obligations negotiated under NAFTA, they have sought to justify, through the courts, their failure to comply through several appeals, and have lost every one.

Failing to achieve their illegitimate demands through NAFTA, the present American government has taken its litigation (one they had already lost several times) into the WTO, which has no jurisdiction over the NAFTA tripartite agreement.

Since our United States trade partners have shown a consistent disinclination for living up to their contracts, Canada should, and must, consider all contracts with the trade partners in the United States of America in jeopardy of non compliance, withdraw from the NAFTA tripartite agreement, and seek another market for its softwood, and indeed, any other commodity it presently markets to America.

It appears that along with repudiating its nuclear arms anti proliferation treaty, its biological weapons conventions, its chemical weapons conventions, the outer space treaty, its participation in United Nations Conventions against torture, and its commitment to the Geneva conventions, the present American government is also repudiating its obligations under the NAFTA agreement.

Like all of America’s other international treaties, the present American government seems willing to abide by its negotiated obligations only when complying suits their desires.

The Canadian government should immediately withdraw from the NAFTA agreement, while issuing a warning to all Canadian business, that, at this time, Canada cannot guarantee compliance to any legal contract entered into with any business entity operating under the legal constraints of the United States of America.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
"The Canadian government should immediately withdraw from the NAFTA agreement, while issuing a warning to all Canadian business, that, at this time, Canada cannot guarantee compliance to any legal contract entered into with any business entity operating under the legal constraints of the United States of America."

Right on Schmitt!

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Since our United States trade partners have shown a consistent disinclination for living up to their contracts, Canada should, and must, consider all contracts with the trade partners in the United States of America in jeopardy of non compliance, withdraw from the NAFTA tripartite agreement, and seek another market for its softwood, and indeed, any other commodity it presently markets to America.

This is what SHOULD happen. However, I'm guessing that Canada will do nothing but whine about it. Martin might say a few things that sound like he's developed a back bone but it'll all be for show....and it'll mean nothing. The US has not had anything to fear from us in a very very long time. And since they equate fear with respect they'll continue on as they have....with impunity. Cause Canada won't do a damn thing about it. We're sitting in their sandbox....we ought to be playing their game by their rules....cause our rules don't do shite.

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
Re: RE: WTO Rules against Can

Twila said:
This is what SHOULD happen. However, I'm guessing that Canada will do nothing but whine about it. Martin might say a few things that sound like he's developed a back bone but it'll all be for show.....
Yeah, I know.

Still, I can’t help but wonder what would happen if Martin tried it.

I mean, beside the fact that Canada would suddenly gain world fame as George Bush’s choice as the one country more in need of regime change than Venezuela.

I wonder how many countries would send trade delegations to Canada, and which countries they would be?

It’s about time Canadian business leaders pulled their collective heads out of America’s posterior and took a look about the world.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
It’s about time Canadian business leaders pulled their collective heads out of America’s posterior and took a look about the world.

Most "Canadian" business leaders are controlled by US interests, so don't hold your breath on that.

There is an election coming though, one that will end in a minority government,so it is possible that our spineless leaders will talk themselves into a corner with the Canadian people.

If we are going to follow WTO rulings, then NAFTA is effectively dead. Let your MPs know that and tell it to the candidates who come begging for your vote.