Silly string is an SAS lifesaver.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The British have showed yet again that their military is the world's best.

The Americans have been spending millions of dollars of trying to invent imaging devices that can help them get past invisible trip wires.

Meanwhile, Britain's SAS just used "silly string" - the stuff that children use at parties, and it costs just £1.69 per can from Woolworths stores.

String is SAS lifesaver
By JOHN KAY
Chief Reporter

SAS troops have discovered a new secret weapon against al-Qaeda booby traps — party aerosol cans of silly STRING.

They spray the joke substance to expose virtually invisible trip wires in caves or darkened buildings they must enter.

The brightly-coloured string hangs across the wires, but is too light to set off explosives.

America has spent millions trying in vain to develop battle-ready imaging devices that can spot the deadly menace in Iraq and Afghanistan.

But the SAS — motto Who Dares Wins — have beaten them to a solution with the £1.69 cans of string they buy from WOOLWORTHS.

Their “Who Dares Strings” brainwave came from a senior NCO at a regimental Christmas bash at their HQ near Hereford.

One reveller let loose some string and it landed on fishing line holding up decorations. A source revealed: “Bingo, the idea was born.

“Now it works very successfully. There is no doubt that a considerable number of lives have been saved — and others have been spared from horrendous maiming.”

The Americans are said to be “totally gobsmacked” at the ingenuity. A senior security source said: “They have spent millions developing infra-red and ultra violet hi-tech imaging devices to show up tripwires.

“But these are both bulky and not robust enough for combat conditions.

“However the SAS men just popped into Woolies in Hereford and bought several cans of silly string each.”

“It’s cheap, it’s quick and it doesn’t need tech support or extensive training.”

Terrorism expert Chris Dobson said: “This is another example of the ingenuity of the British soldier.”

thesun.co.uk

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
The British are a silly lot :). It was only a matter of time before they employed silly string in the battlefield.

"There is no cannibalism in the British navy, absolutely none, and when
I say none, I mean there is a certain amount."

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It reminds me of the time the Americans spent millions of dollars trying to invent a pen that writes in space.

The Russians used a pencil.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Hard-Luck Henry said:
I bet that brightens up the battlefield, no end.
It saves lives, doesn't it?

Why waste millions of $'s inventing hi-tech equipment that you have to be trained to use when you can just use a can of £1.69p silly string?

It's things like this which give Britain's armed forces a reputation of quality throughout the world.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Sometimes the answers are simple and people can't see the trees for the forest.