Feds Mum On What Was in Bomber’s Apt.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Interesting article from the Tulsa Beacon. Very serious matter. Law enforcement officials appear to be treating this rather lightly. A little too lightly to suit me.

http://www.tulsabeacon.com/1.htm

A federal judge has sealed the search warrant of the apartment of Joel “Henry” Hinrichs III, who blew himself up during an Oklahoma University football game.

An accounting of the explosives found in that apartment has not been made public. Hinrichs was within 100 yards of Oklahoma Memorial Stadium on Sept. 1 when he blew himself up while OU played Kansas State in football.

Oklahoma City authorities said the U.S. Justice Department asked that the warrant be sealed but would not say why. They would confirm that an investigation is still underway.

WorldNetDaily reported that investigators found “Islamic jihad” material in Hinrichs’ apartment when they searched it. Hinrichs attended a mosque near his university-owned apartment – the same one attended by Zacharias Moussaoui, the only person charged in connection with the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

Three Middle Eastern students were questioned by police Saturday night.

WorldNetDaily also reported that the feed-store owner who refused to sell Hinrichs fertilizer that could be used to fashion explosives says an off-duty Norman, Okla., police officer witnessed the attempted transaction. Dustin Ellison, owner of Ellison Seed and Feed in Norman said the officer was standing no more than “two to three feet away” from him and Hinrichs when the former OU student attempted to buy ammonium nitrate – a principle ingredient in the bomb that destroyed the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City April 19, 1995 – Sept. 29. just two days before committing suicide.

Ellison also told WND he informed Hinrichs the store didn’t carry any ammonium nitrate and then asked Hinrichs why he needed it. The store owner says the OU junior, who was majoring in mechanical engineering, became visibly nervous, close-mouthed and stammering.

The officer copied down his license number and checked for warrants. He found nothing but later wrote a report of the suspicious actions. He did not talk to the FBI until Sunday, the day after the bombing.

Following the incident, OU President David Boren made the following statement, “We are apparently dealing with an individual suicide which is under full investigation. At no time was anyone in the stadium in danger. Law enforcement officers and bomb experts on site were activated in the area immediately. As soon as the area was secured and the area was sealed, I ordered a thorough search of the garage area near the stadium by the trained bomb dog team.” Further search of the lower levels outside the stadium and a thorough sweep was ordered by Boren. Prior to the game, the entire stadium was swept by the expert bomb teams with the help of dogs. Passouts were suspended during the halftime for security reasons in order to enhance safety for the fans. A second device which was found during the initial search has been detonated

“We have no information that suggests that there is any additional threat posed by others related to this incident,” Boren said. “The university has taken every possible action to ensure safety.”

Classes resumed as scheduled on Monday.

Boren said on Oct. 2 that he was notified that further investigation has confirmed there was no second device. The second detonation was the bomb squad making sure that there was not a second device. “Some quickly rushed to the conclusion that the bomber must have been a Middle Eastern terrorist,” Boren wrote in a letter to students dated Oct. 6. “There were video shots of international students on Oklahoma campuses as this speculation was reported.

“I have been assured by law enforcement officials (including federal officers) that they have found no evidence of a conspiracy which creates an ongoing threat to our OU community.”

Boren vowed to inform students and parents of any change that would point to a conspiracy.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Sounds like there are more Tim McVeigh's out there. That's what you really have to worry about..the home grown nutcase terrorists.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Feds Mum On What Was

How can a feed store not carry ammonium nitrate? That's just silly.

There are plenty more Timmy McVeigh's out there, Missile. If one of them, blonde and blue-eyed, would have asked for some fertilizer, there would have been no questions asked.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
missile said:
Sounds like there are more Tim McVeigh's out there. That's what you really have to worry about..the home grown nutcase terrorists.

Yep. We need to treat these domestic nutcase terrorists with high priority. Once we get em off the streets, do as we did with McVeigh ... swift justice!

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

You do realise, James, that, based on the things you've said on this board, you fit the profile of an American homegrown terrorist.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Re: RE: Feds Mum On What Was

Reverend Blair said:
You do realise, James, that, based on the things you've said on this board, you fit the profile of an American homegrown terrorist.

Hah, that is a good one Rev. With those comments, you should sign up for the Liar's Club. You'd be a shoo-in.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Well, my viewpoints are mainstream in these southern parts. Many of your viewpoints would be taken to be seen as extreme in this society.

That is why you can't judge anyone's views without first reflecting on the society they live in. That is also a reason I moved from Montreal, I prefer to live in a "RIGHT" society.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

You take the same extreme right-wing positions that McVeigh did, James. You have a deep hatred of your government. You are distrustful of foreigners. You like guns. You take an extreme (and erroneous) position on the role that religion should play in government.

Those are the hallmarks of homegrown terrorism, James. Call up the FBI and ask them about their profiles on militant militia members like McVeigh. Ask them about David Koresh.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA

Reverend Blair said:
You take the same extreme right-wing positions that McVeigh did, James. You have a deep hatred of your government. You are distrustful of foreigners. You like guns. You take an extreme (and erroneous) position on the role that religion should play in government.

Those are the hallmarks of homegrown terrorism, James. Call up the FBI and ask them about their profiles on militant militia members like McVeigh. Ask them about David Koresh.

Hatred of my government? Hah ... show me one post where I've said anything against the Republicans. I fully support the President on over 95% of his polices. I really appreciate his low tax approach. I have stood behind the President throughout the war on terrorism. How does that make me hate the government? I must be missing something here???

Like I said Rev, you should definitely call up the Liar's Club. They would be more than happy to have you join.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

The Republicans aren't the government though, they are simply the current ruling party. What will you do after they lose control of the House in '06 and the White House in '08?

I hope the FBI are keeping an eye on you, James. You have terrorist written all over everything you say. You have Waco and Ruby Ridge written all over you.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA

Reverend Blair said:
The Republicans aren't the government though, they are simply the current ruling party. What will you do after they lose control of the House in '06 and the White House in '08?

I hope the FBI are keeping an eye on you, James. You have terrorist written all over everything you say. You have Waco and Ruby Ridge written all over you.

Republicans will not lose control of the House in the 06 elections Rev. As for the Republicans losing the presidency in 08, I wouldn't count on that either. In addition, remember the Democrats are equivalent to the Conservative Party in Canada on many of their views (example, they support the death penalty). So either way, both parties would still suit me fine.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
More of your fecking lies eh nascar?? tell me did they teach you to fudge the truth in sunday school. You make me sick!

The FBI said in a statement Tuesday that there is no current threat posed by additional explosive materials, that there is no known threat from anyone else related to the incident and that there is no known link between Hinrichs and any terrorist or extremist organization or activities.

Hinrichs' father, Joel Hinrichs Jr., said the FBI re-interviewed him Tuesday at his home in Colorado Springs, Colo. The father told investigators his son was skeptical of ideology.

"Joe would have become a Muslim fanatic when pigs fly," the father side.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
peapod said:
More of your fecking lies eh nascar?? tell me did they teach you to fudge the truth in sunday school. You make me sick!

The FBI said in a statement Tuesday that there is no current threat posed by additional explosive materials, that there is no known threat from anyone else related to the incident and that there is no known link between Hinrichs and any terrorist or extremist organization or activities.

Hinrichs' father, Joel Hinrichs Jr., said the FBI re-interviewed him Tuesday at his home in Colorado Springs, Colo. The father told investigators his son was skeptical of ideology.

"Joe would have become a Muslim fanatic when pigs fly," the father side.

Not a Muslim fanatic, Peapod? Explain why he attended the Norman mosque where Zacharias Moussaoui, a known terrorist and in custody, had previously attended. Also, explain why did this Hinrichs kid grow a long beard and why did he have a Pakistani roomate? He hung out "mainly" with Middle Eastern students. Just coincidence?...I think not.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA

Reverend Blair said:
So you'd support Hillary Clinton as president and back her up on Canadianising your health care system, James?

Of course not Rev. I would not support someone the likes of Hillary Clinton. She, unlike her husband is too far left to suit me. However, if someone the likes of John Edwards were to "somehow" win the Presidency on the Democrat platform, I would not have a problem with that.

Does not matter who the candidates are on either side, I will very likely support the Republican party.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Student's Suicide
Sets Off Explosion
Of Theories by Blogs

By RYAN CHITTUM and JOE HAGAN
Staff Reporters of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
October 13, 2005; Page B1

When a junior at the University of Oklahoma blew himself up 100 yards away from a packed football stadium on Oct. 1, the 85,000 fans inside remained calm despite the loud explosion.

But the calm has given way to anxiety, as the college town of Norman, Okla., has struggled to separate fact from fiction in the apparent suicide of Joel Henry Hinrichs III.

Several bloggers have jumped to try to connect the dots in the case and speculate that the 21-year-old Mr. Hinrichs was a suicide bomber under the influence of Islam. The blog reports, in turn, have influenced local news coverage of the young man's violent death.

From the start, the case was prime territory for bloggers. The conservative blog Little Green Footballs titled one post "Jihad at the University of Oklahoma?" and wrote, "The story of the suicide bomber at the University of Oklahoma football stadium, determinedly ignored by mainstream media, is beginning to get interesting...."

Several facts about the case fed the speculation: Suicides committed with bombs are rare, as are those committed in public near a crowded event. Mr. Hinrichs (pronounced HIN-ricks) had a Pakistani roommate. They shared an apartment one block away from the only mosque in Norman -- the same mosque attended in 2001 by Zacarias Moussaoui, who pleaded guilty earlier this year to helping plan the 9/11 terrorist attacks. In some photographs, Mr. Hinrichs can be seen with a scraggly beard.

Adding to community concern was the revelation that two days before he blew himself up, Mr. Hinrichs visited a feed store and inquired about buying ammonium nitrate -- the same chemical Timothy McVeigh put in the bomb he used in 1995 to blow up the Alfred P. Murrah federal building in Oklahoma City, 20 miles to the north. An off-duty Norman police officer, overhearing Mr. Hinrichs's conversation in the store, ran a check on his license plate and found no cause for alarm.

To that unsettling set of facts, blogs and local Oklahoma TV stations added several apparent inaccuracies, including: that Mr. Hinrichs was a Muslim and visited the mosque frequently; that he tried to enter the stadium twice but was rebuffed; that he had a one-way airplane ticket to Algeria; that there were nails in the bomb and that Islamic extremist literature was found in his apartment.

None of these claims are true: Mr. Hinrichs's family, university officials and the Federal Bureau of Investigation say Mr. Hinrichs suffered from depression, and the explosion was an isolated event.

The FBI's investigation is nearly complete. On Oct. 4, the FBI issued a statement saying, "At this time, there is no known link between Hinrichs and any terrorist or extremist organization(s) or activities."

In an interview, David L. Boren, president of the University of Oklahoma and the former senator who was chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, said that while most news reports have been responsible, there has been a "feeding frenzy of false rumors" on blogs and in some local TV stations. On Friday, he said in a letter to students and staff that investigators had found "no evidence of a conspiracy involving others which creates an ongoing threat to our OU community."

BLOG THEORIES

Read a few blog entries about the apparent suicide of Joel Henry Hinrichs III:
• Tapscott's Copy Desk: "10 Reasons Why a Hinrichs Terrorist Link Seems Like the Most Plausible Possible Explanation" (10/10/05)

• Power Line: "Oklahoma Blackout" (10/10/05)

• Michelle Malkin: "Oklahoma Bomber: Delving Deeper" (10/06/05)

Joe Hinrichs, Joel's father, has appeared on TV and radio talk shows in an effort to clear his son's name. In an interview, he said he is disgusted by what the bloggers and talk shows are saying. "They're sensationalists by trade," he said. "This blog stuff is just smoke. It's bilge."

Mr. Hinrichs said he was aware that Joel, an engineering student from Colorado Springs, Colo., had sought counseling for depression. He said he didn't know whether his son was taking any medication.

Joel wasn't a Muslim and wasn't under anyone's sway, Mr. Hinrichs says. Raised by a Lutheran father and a mother who is a Jehovah's Witness, Joel had no interest in either denomination, his father said. "He was very curious," Mr. Hinrichs said. "But he was very skeptical and about as impressionable as a tree stump."

As for the beard, his father, who also is bearded, said, "He's looked like Abe Lincoln since high school."

Bloggers haven't been put off by any disputing of their claims. Among the bloggers who have weighed in on the event are Michelle Malkin, a conservative syndicated newspaper columnist and author of a book "In Defense of Internment: The Case for Racial Profiling in World War II and the War on Terror"; Power Line, the blog known for discrediting documents that CBS News relied on for a report questioning President Bush's military record, and the blog Tapscott's Copy Desk, written by Mark Tapscott, director of the Heritage Foundation's Center for Media and Public Policy.

Mr. Tapscott maintains that Mr. Hinrichs's death was more than a simple suicide. In an interview, he said, "To me, the more likely scenario, given the crucial pieces of evidence, is that he did indeed have some kind of link to some kind of terrorism deal."

Ms. Malkin said blogs were doing the work that the mainstream media failed to do. "People are gathering information that they can't find out from their local or national newspapers and bringing it to readers," she said in an interview. "The mainstream media does us all a disservice when it bends over backward to whitewash radical Islam out of the news."

Many of the bloggers who have commented on the case said they were made suspicious by the involvement of the FBI and the Joint Terrorism Task Force in the investigation, as well as by the authorities' swift dismissal of a terrorist connection. "It leads me to believe that there's some sort of concerted effort to keep this quiet as long as possible," says Jason Smith, a legal consultant outside Houston who blogs as Texas Rainmaker.

Conflicting official statements in the aftermath of the blast heightened anxiety in the shaken university town. Hours after the explosion, OU's Mr. Boren issued a statement saying the university was "apparently dealing with an individual suicide."

That same statement also said a second device had been found at the scene, but the university later rescinded that assertion. In fact, authorities did find, in Mr. Hinrichs's bedroom, additional explosive material. They detonated them at the police firing range the next day, jolting the city again.

Local television news shows also were helping spread the bloggers' theories. In one three-minute segment called "Blog Spot," on the local CBS affiliate, News 9 KWTV, an anchor read several theories. "The blogs are also watching our coverage and asking questions about it," the anchor said.

On Wednesday, Oct. 5, KWTV correspondent Tamara Pratt reported that Mr. Hinrichs had spent "much of his time at the Norman mosque," and that investigators had seized an airline ticket to Algeria in Hinrichs's apartment.

Mr. Boren said that Mr. Hinrichs isn't known ever to have visited the Norman mosque. And while investigators did find an airplane ticket to Algeria, it wasn't in Mr. Hinrichs's apartment, but rather in one belonging to an international student, Mr. Boren said.