Who Took The Cheese?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
quebec news

Quebec firm abandons lost cheese

(CBC) - A Quebec cheese company has finally given up on finding $50,000 worth of cheese it sank underwater in an attempt to make it taste better.

Last year, La Fromagerie Boivin dropped 800 kg of cheese into the water of the Saguenay fjord, north of Quebec City.

Letting it sit 50 metres underwater was supposed to produce a cheese that would taste unique, but the company had major trouble finding its sunken cheese.

Divers and high-tech tracking equipment were used to search for the lost fromage.

"It's a mystery," said master diver Pierre Dufour, who assisted in the hunt. "All we know is that the cheese is no longer where it was left."

The company has given up hope of finding the cheese and is writing off its $50,000 value.

"It got too expensive," said cheesemaker Luc Boivin. "At some point, you can't be crazy."

Even if the cheese had been found, there were doubts about whether it could ever be sold.

In July, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency raised concerns about the sunken cheese. It said Boivin was breaking food safety laws because the cheese hadn't been analyzed at various stages of the aging process. That meant it couldn't be sold through retail outlets.

If a few restaurants start offering bargain cheese souffles or grilled cheese sandwiches it might raise some eyebrows. :wink:

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
I love the line: "At some point, you can't be crazy" Me thinks he passed that point.

And I don't even want to think about things like motor oils, dead fish, etc. enhaving the flavour of any cheese that I would eat.

Yuck.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I've just discovered something (fishy?)about this story... :wink: For 800 kg of cheese, to be worth $50,000.00, would mean it was worth $28.00 per pound. That is a pretty rare cheese.. :wink: :lol:

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
#juan said:
I've just discovered something (fishy?)about this story... :wink: For 800 kg of cheese, to be worth $50,000.00, would mean it was worth $28.00 per pound. That is a pretty rare cheese.. :wink: :lol:

Checked the prices of TRUE European cheeses lately?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
To be honest Ten Packs, I haven't. If it is 28 dollars a pound, all the more reason to put a buoy on it, or an anchor.... :wink: :lol:

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
No doubt the cheese company thought that either their competition, or a rogue cheese connoisseur might have found their sunken fromage had they attached a buoy.

When you are dealing with someone who dropped a big hunk of cheese into a fiord, expecting it to increase in value, nothing is beyond consideration.

There may be good news. Perhaps it will kill off the zebra mussels.

Anybody want to go panning for cheese in the St. Lawrence Seaway?