Wal Mart Same Store Sales Go Up ...

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Looks like sales were up at Wal Mart last month, for stores that remained open, although in the past year, it's stock has gone down. Last month alone, two hurricaines saw the shutdown of many Wal Mart stores. Wal Mart stock has fluctuated between $42 and $58 per share in the past year. In November of last year, the stock had hit about $58/share. It closed this week at $43.82/share, slightly going up this past week. Still good news for the day traders. On Friday (closing day) there were a few spikes present.

If I were to guess, I would predict a slight continued increase this week in it's share value.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsA...I147306_RTRUKOC_0_US-RETAIL-WALMART-SALES.xml

Wal-Mart sees same-store sales up
Sun Oct 2, 2005 1:24 AM ET

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Wal-Mart Stores Inc. on Saturday estimated that September sales rose 3.8 percent at U.S. stores open at least a year, near the high end of its forecast range, in a month that saw stores shut down due to two hurricanes.

Demand for hurricane recovery supplies like bottled water and clothing, as well as higher prices for the gasoline sold at its Sam's Club warehouse stores, boosted sales in the five weeks ended Friday. Excluding higher gasoline prices, sales at stores open at least a year -- or same-store sales -- would have been up 3.2 percent, Wal-Mart said.

The world's biggest retailer had forecast a 2 percent to 4 percent increase in September same-store sales. Wal-Mart will issue its final September sales report on Thursday.

Wal-Mart closed as many as 155 stores in the path of Hurricane Rita. As of Saturday, the retailer said all but three stores closed had been reopened. Some 12 stores remained closed due to Hurricane Katrina of the 126 locations that had been shut at some point, Wal-Mart said.

The retailer had said demand increased for supplies like bottled water, canned meat and batteries in preparation for Hurricane Rita. Wal-Mart also saw strong sales of basic clothing and cleaning supplies during the month as victims recovered from Hurricane Katrina.

Analysts are watching Wal-Mart's sales particularly closely for indications of how lower-income consumers are coping with rising energy costs. The retailer has cautioned that steep fuel prices will curb consumer spending and also raise its transportation costs.

Wal-Mart is expected to give an updated quarterly profit forecast along with its final September sales on Thursday. The retailer estimated in August that fiscal third-quarter earnings would be between 55 cents and 59 cents per share.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Re: RE: Wal Mart Same Store S

no1important said:
Scum Mart

Wal-Mart fighting employee lawsuit

Quebec panel rejects Wal-Mart store closing

:glasses3: :glasses3: :glasses3:

One Nation Under Wal-Mart Interesting read.

Wal Mart is still scum, force real business to close by undercutting then they create poverty, force employees to work in poverty for them.

They heavy hand suppliers to give them bare bottom prices, they are resposible for so many sweat shops. They are scum and I would not be caught dead in that store.

Overall, the reality is Wal Mart provides many jobs to communities all across North America. They might not be the best paying jobs, however they are jobs nonetheless. What kinds of high paying jobs do we provide to folks who have no eduation and some are even illiterate?

I agree with Wal Mart shutting down the Quebec store. It was purely a business decision. However, unions are bad news. Had the store unioned, it would have had to raise salaires which in turn would have created layoffs. In addition, prices would go up causing business to go down. Is the picture clearer now? Here in the US the picture is clear, that's why we have professional union busters that take the issue seriously.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Re: RE: Wal Mart Same Store Sales Go Up ...

Hank C Cheyenne said:
yea unions seems to be a pain in the ass......intresting fact..... Quebec is the most unionized province while Alberta is the least!

Notice the tax difference between Quebec and Alberta. There is an astounding gap. I guess if the hard working folks in Quebec want to keep paying taxes till the cows come home, they can throw away their money if they want to. They can have all those nice unions, social programs, language police, easy welfare access ...etc).

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Wal Mart Same Store S

I agree with Wal Mart shutting down the Quebec store. It was purely a business decision. However, unions are bad news. Had the store unioned, it would have had to raise salaires which in turn would have created layoffs. In addition, prices would go up causing business to go down. Is the picture clearer now? Here in the US the picture is clear, that's why we have professional union busters that take the issue seriously.

Notice the tax difference between Quebec and Alberta. There is an astounding gap. I guess if the hard working folks in Quebec want to keep paying taxes till the cows come home, they can throw away their money if they want to. They can have all those nice unions, social programs, language police, easy welfare access ...etc).

So people cannot make a fair wage? BC here has over 35% unionized rate and we are ok.

WalMart shutting down was just a union busting scheme, that all and they have been outed.

Why do you hate social programs so much? Because America has none?

Of course if it was up to you we would be working for slave wages and no benifits. While the corperations take all the money. Who do you think makes those corperations money? The sweat and Blood from its hard working employees.

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.

yup....if they want it then let them have it......

This issue also pisses me on the federal level..... I mean why the hell would the liberals socialize day care......geeeez. What we need to do is spend that money on fixing health care....not more innefficient social programs.

..... the issue of "fear mongering" should also be brought up.....the liberals use "fear mongering" every time someone brings up the health care issue to stunt talks of reform.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA

no1important said:

So people cannot make a fair wage? BC here has over 35% unionized rate and we are ok.

WalMart shutting down was just a union busting scheme, that all and they have been outed.

Why do you hate social programs so much? Because America has none?

Of course if it was up to you we would be working for slave wages and no benifits. While the corperations take all the money. Who do you think makes those corperations money? The sweat and Blood from its hard working employees.

I am not saying folks can't make a fair wage. Many educated folks do indeed make a good living. However, we need to have jobs out there for the uneducated folks as well, those who are illiterate. Where are they supposed to work? Wal Mart doesn't discriminate and provides work for these folks and many other who are uneducated.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net

Nascar_James said:
I am not saying folks can't make a fair wage. Many educated folks do indeed make a good living. However, we need to have jobs out there for the uneducated folks as well, those who are illiterate. Where are they supposed to work? Wal Mart doesn't discriminate and provides work for these folks and many other who are uneducated.

Typical neocon response...they're stupid so they don't deserve to make enough money to live...never once will they ask the important questions, like why these people are uneducated and illiterate...

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Well thats coz he don't really care vanni, see at the core is unbelieveable self interest and greed. They are not looking for a better world for everyone, nah, just their worlds, don't care either how they obtain it. Neocons to the core.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
peapod said:
Well thats coz he don't really care vanni, see at the core is unbelieveable self interest and greed. They are not looking for a better world for everyone, nah, just their worlds, don't care either how they obtain it. Neocons to the core.

Yeah, I know pea...but at the same time I like to think I've at least forced them to acknowledge some of their inherent faults...

I know...I'm a feckin' dreamer... :roll:

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Nascar_James said:
Looks like sales were up at Wal Mart last month, for stores that remained open, although in the past year, it's stock has gone down. Last month alone, two hurricaines saw the shutdown of many Wal Mart stores. Wal Mart stock has fluctuated between $42 and $58 per share in the past year. In November of last year, the stock had hit about $58/share. It closed this week at $43.82/share, slightly going up this past week. Still good news for the day traders. On Friday (closing day) there were a few spikes present.

If I were to guess, I would predict a slight continued increase this week in it's share value.

Looks like my prediction a week ago was accurate. Wal Mart stock on the NYSE did increase slightly in the past week. It went from $43.82/share last Friday to $44.03/share today.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Ya, what a surprise eh??? considering walmart is like neocon heaven. They are bankrolling a vast neo-conservative political network. For example, John Walton, who is worth more than $20 billion himself, was the largest single individual contributor to Gov. Jeb Bush in the 2002 Florida gubernatorial race.