Police in Houston find misuse of FEMA's $2,000 debit cards

beentheredonethat

Nominee Member
Aug 21, 2005
Originally Maxie
9/16/05

On the heels of a report earlier this week that Atlanta area Katrina victims were using $2,000 debit cards to purchase luxury items like Louis Vuitton handbags, Houston police yesterday discovered the cards, provided by FEMA and the Red Cross, being used at local strip clubs.

The Houston Police Department just formed a task force to investigate the abuse of the cards, which were distributed to thousands of Katrina hurricane victims to provide for necessities, such as food, clothing and toiletries. On the first day, the police found the cards being used to buy beer while ogling exotic dancers.

According to a report by KPRC, Channel 2, in Houston, a manager at Caligula XXI Gentlemen's Club said he has seen at least one debit card used at his club. A bartender at Baby Dolls, identified only as "Abby," said she has seen many of the cards used at her establishment.

"A lot of customers have been coming in from Louisiana and they've been real happy about the $1.75 beers and they're really nice," she said.

Rest of article: http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/printer-friendly.asp?ARTICLE_ID=46361

That figures.

Been There

beentheredonethat

Nominee Member
Aug 21, 2005
Originally Maxie
Re: Police in Houston find misuse of FEMA's $2,000 debit car

Why are you picking on me? You knew the possibility of misuse would come into play. It always does. It's human nature. So,
you think it is fine for FEMA to pay for tit bars and liquor?

Been There

beentheredonethat

Nominee Member
Aug 21, 2005
Originally Maxie

Here is another source, citing similar problems. Perhaps you will take the word of the Memphis newspaper.

FEMA/Red Cross Kill Katrina Debit Card Program

Designer jeans, high heels and purses -- not exactly what the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the American Red Cross had in mind.

But that's what a few News Channel 3 viewers claim they saw Hurricane Katrina survivors purchase with their $2,000 emergency debit cards. One Katrina victim was spotted at a Cordova clothier buying stacks of $65 designer jeans. Another viewer reported spotting a survivor buying "over $700 in high heel shoes and purses" at a Memphis department store "while (her) younger children, most of them looked under the age of 3, looked like they haven't showered in weeks."

So FEMA officially killed the debit card program Sunday, Sept. 11

URL: [url]http://www.wreg.com/Global/story.asp?S=3851262 [/url]

Been There

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow

I called that neo con web link bullshit, hows that pickin on you 8O as opposed to you insulting our acadian friend, or your jab at twinks, like we don't already know.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA

The money would have been better spent had the authorities used it for temporary housing and the cards should have only been valid at establishments that offered necessities, like supermarkets and drug stores.

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005

peapod said:
Ya, hindsight is great in a disaster innit??

Innit?: "Thus has George Bush become the Archbishop of Washington even as his aura as lord protector slides into the putrid black lagoon, bobbing with cadavers and slick with oil, that has swallowed New Orleans. No doubt the born-again president is himself sincere about invoking the Almighty. But you can hear the muttered advice in the White House: Mr President, we were in trouble after 9/11; the unfortunate episode of the schoolroom, My Little Goat and all that. But do what you did then; set yourself once more at the centre of the nation; go to the epicentre of the horror and embrace its heroes; make yourself the country's patriotic invigorator and all may yet be well."

beentheredonethat

Nominee Member
Aug 21, 2005
Originally Maxie

Nascar_James said:
The money would have been better spent had the authorities used it for temporary housing and the cards should have only been valid at establishments that offered necessities, like supermarkets and drug stores.

I thought of that too. My girlfriend sends her son gift cards at college, but they are to supermarkets, discount stores, etc.
Not a wide-open debit card.

Been There

Martin Le Acadien

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2004
Province perdue du Canada, Louisian

peapod said:
I called that neo con web link bullshit, hows that pickin on you 8O as opposed to you insulting our acadian friend, or your jab at twinks, like we don't already know.

Thanks, peapod for your defence of my Acadien Honor! He belied my "baloney biphoney" but he really means he wishes he would have been riding with Moncton and the boys in 1755, Nathan Bedofrd and boyz in Pulaski, TN in 1866 or been there when David Duke almost became Governor of Louisiana!

However,

The $2,000 debit cards or payment has been a bad idea, spending with no accountability! my household is argueing over what to do with theirs, my wish is to fix the roof, pay off the expenses we occured while running from the storm and get ready for the next one! TD #18 is on the same path as Katrina. LORD HELP US!

Martin Le Acadien

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2004

beentheredonethat said:
9/16/05

On the heels of a report earlier this week that Atlanta area Katrina victims were using $2,000 debit cards to purchase luxury items like Louis Vuitton handbags, Houston police yesterday discovered the cards, provided by FEMA and the Red Cross, being used at local strip clubs.

"A lot of customers have been coming in from Louisiana and they've been real happy about the $1.75 beers and they're really nice," she said.
That figures.

Been There

Gee, those Acadien boys like to drink beer and oogle pretty women, who would have thought!

GreenGreta

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2005
Lala Land
RE: Police in Houston find misuse of FEMA's $2,000 debit car

The way I see it is: I could buy cigarettes, booze and strippers before the storm. Why should I do without them now. I need a smoke and a drink more now than ever really.

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
RE: Police in Houston find misuse of FEMA's $2,000 debit car

Well all I can say is, if getting your rocks off is more important than the necessities of life, have at her and don't come back whining.

Martin Le Acadien

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2004
Re: RE: Police in Houston find misuse of FEMA's $2,000 debit

GreenGreta said:
The way I see it is: I could buy cigarettes, booze and strippers before the storm. Why should I do without them now. I need a smoke and a drink more now than ever really.

Say, I don't smoke but do they take these cards at Duty Free for booze? Need to wait out storm season somewhere safe, like Yellowknife, NWT! RITA promises to be the encore, like I really want another show! Talking about the Storm, not the strippers, don't know if the card covers any "encores". 8O

beentheredonethat

Nominee Member
Aug 21, 2005
Originally Maxie

Martin Le Acadien said:
peapod said:

Thanks, peapod for your defence of my Acadien Honor! He belied my "baloney biphoney" but he really means he wishes he would have been riding with Moncton and the boys in 1755, Nathan Bedofrd and boyz in Pulaski, TN in 1866 or been there when David Duke almost became Governor of Louisiana! /quote]

He? Isn't that a little before your time too? Quiz: I remember talk about this guy although he died long before I was born. Mama used to talk about how the Kingfish saw to it that the children of Louisiana had textbooks. Name?

Did you ever consider that I might have Acadien ties too? Or that I know as much as you do about Louisiana? Not all Acadiens agree, Martin.

Been There [/img]

Martin Le Acadien

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2004

beentheredonethat said:
He? Isn't that a little before your time too? Quiz: I remember talk about this guy although he died long before I was born. Mama used to talk about how the Kingfish saw to it that the children of Louisiana had textbooks. Name?

Did you ever consider that I might have Acadien ties too? Or that I know as much as you do about Louisiana? Not all Acadiens agree, Martin.

Been There [/img]

Answer: Huey P. Long
Query 1. Who shot Huey P. Long?
2. What saint did he thank for his Election in the Times-Picayune?
3. where is the bridge that bears his name? Parish Please.
4. Where did Evangeline end up and who inspired the story?
5. Name Louisiana's most southern Post Office?
6. Who is my sunshine?
7. Can a French Language Document be filed in the Courthouse?
8. What is a Police Jury?
9. Who is Dudley LeBlanc and what did he sell?
10. Where is the Shrimp and Petroleum Festival Held at?

No fair looking it up in GOOGLE, these are honest to god Louisiana boy-girl questions any Acadien knows.

Good Luck.

beentheredonethat

Nominee Member
Aug 21, 2005
Originally Maxie

Martin Le Acadien said:
beentheredonethat said:

Been There [/img]

Answer: Huey P. Long
Query 1. Who shot Huey P. Long?
2. What saint did he thank for his Election in the Times-Picayune?
3. where is the bridge that bears his name? Parish Please.
4. Where did Evangeline end up and who inspired the story?
5. Name Louisiana's most southern Post Office?
6. Who is my sunshine?
7. Can a French Language Document be filed in the Courthouse?
8. What is a Police Jury?
9. Who is Dudley LeBlanc and what did he sell?
10. Where is the Shrimp and Petroleum Festival Held at?

No fair looking it up in GOOGLE, these are honest to god Louisiana boy-girl questions any Acadien knows.

Good Luck.

Talk to the heel. Not the toe. Shrimp and Petroleum? Good Lord.
Anyone with any sense knows that the Rice Festival is the one that matters. Maine has a shrimp festival in Rockport in August.
The Petroleum Club is in Houston. There is one in Tulsa. Any good coon ass knows the difference between the heel and the toe. Moderator - do not censor coon ass - it has a special meaning in Louisiana.

Been There

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow

You are not from louisana, I don't care if you call yourself flytrap, bulldog, karra musicman jar jar or barbar the elephant. Don't dis respect martin or twinks again! Me, hahhahahaha bring it on :twisted:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
RE: Police in Houston fin

Whoa. What have I missed? I'm being dissed and I've missed it? Couldn't have been a very good dis then.

You are not from louisana, I don't care if you call yourself flytrap, bulldog, karra musicman jar jar or barbar the elephant

Oh wait. This explains it. Never mind