Canadian tobacco farmers battling depression & debt

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Canadian tobacco farm

They are in a tough place. They should try some alternative crops though. Industrial hemp would be good. So would canary seed. It would be good if the government would buy up their drying kilns to give them capital to invest in equipment for other crops as well. They should be able to do that with the existing money from tobacco taxes.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Well the Feds should let the farmers grow Hemp and Medical Marijuana. Hell legalize Marijuana and let them grow it. There is enough demand for it. Think of all the extra money the governments could mismanage from taxes they would undoubtably collect from it.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
missile

I hope it is, it will give the Anti Smoking groups something else to cry about Smile

I was a smoker for a lot of years and I quit eighteen years ago. I have a couple of favourite relatives who both smoke several packs a day and who I worry about a lot and nothing anyone says will get them to even try quitting. I know how hard it is to quit, I quit at least a hundred times before I stuck it out. I've stopped nagging because I know that people won't quit until they want to quit.

The tobacco growers; Grow something else and stop whining.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

You should meet my family, Ten Packs. When I was out in Saskatchewan, two of my brothers and their wives came for supper. After supper I lit a smoke. You'd think I'd dropped my drawers and took a dump on the table.

The funny thing is that there wasn't a person at that table who didn't used to smoke as much as I do. They all claim to have quit now but.....

The really funny thing is that later on when the whiskey had been flowing for a while, the feckers smoked all my cigarettes. I woke up the next day all hung over and had to go to town and buy another carton before I could start my day of hard labour.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Not pure, a hypocrit...

I know how hard is is to quit smoking. Should have been obvious, long ago, even to tobacco growers, that smoking kills people.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

5 months clean of tobacco!

Yay me.

K,back to the topic at hand

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
After supper I lit a smoke. You'd think I'd dropped my drawers and took a dump on the table.
The funny thing is that there wasn't a person at that table who didn't used to smoke as much as I do.

"Reformed" smokers are always the most vehement, Rev - I have found lots of folks who never smoked to be far more reasonable.

I have a theory that it's a sub-conscious thing with ex-smokers - they still miss it, even if they don't realize it, and being vile about it is some kind of "Negative-Reinforcement" therapy...

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

But they went on to smoke all my smokes. They aren't even reformed, they're just goofy.

One of them called me up and gave me hell for taking his son to the same bar we used to drink in when we were 16 too. How the hell are these people related to me?

PoisonPete2

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2005
I grow my own from Dutch pipe tobacco seeds. I'll be smudging with it every morning once my first crop is in. The beauty is that each plant produces thousands of seeds. It is a holy plant. Too bad about the life of the tobbacco farmers. I picked just outside of Delhi in Ontario as a teenager. The farmer's father had a beef ranch in the same area. Man the food was so good. Primed with five fellows from Quebec. Good times. What a great life. Hate to see it pass. Hope they can grow something else, like hemp.

WildKat

Aug 27, 2005
Ten Packs said:
"Reformed" smokers are always the most vehement, Rev - I have found lots of folks who never smoked to be far more reasonable.

I've never smoked. It never appealed to me. My sister doesn't even believe that I've not even tried one puff. Not one.

My opinion on the subject -- I'm sure the government realized the impact their "aggressive policies" would have on the tobacco industry. But I really don't think that they should be getting tobacco from other countries to put in Canadian cigarettes. That doesn't seem right.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
As I’ve said somewhere else, any one in the business has known from the time that they first entered the business, that their product was harmful to their customers.

For years they could see consumer groups and health organizations agitating to eliminate their industry.

They should have moved out of tobacco farming years ago. Since they did not, I have no sympathy for them, now.

As for cigarette manufacturers and advertisers, they are pushers, and their product is cancer.

PoisonPete2

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2005
the farmers I worked for and met in the 2 years i primed, were hard-working, decent people. I saw strong family bonds and the kind of respectful community one only wishes could have an urban equal. They treated their workers as equals and took personal interests in all of us. That they sell a product with potential serious health effects is sad, but I grow it myself. I bundle it for gifts, offer in respect to my elders when I seek their council and smudge in the morning. Yes tobacco is a sunset industry but my heart goes out to those who brought in the harvest. Changing a life is never easy.