Brain *human* evolving..

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/09/08/news/brain.php

for something entirely different.... :wink:

Two genes involved in determining the size of the human brain have undergone substantial evolution in the last 60,000 years, researchers say, suggesting that the human brain is still undergoing rapid evolution.

The discovery adds further weight to the view that human evolution is still a work in progress, since previous

( hot damn........ya coulda fooled me.. :wink: ( observable data indicates regression... :wink:

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
Ocean Breeze said:
( hot damn........ya coulda fooled me.. :wink: ( observable data indicates regression... :wink:

Oh come on Ocean, why be so pessimistic about this? We as a species have had our heads filled with so much drivel for millenia that it was inevitable our brains would have to become larger to accomodate it all. Give it another 60,000 years and we'll all look like Marvin the Martian with that oversized melon of his... and hell, many already have his "annihilate the Earth" attitude so we're well on our way 8O

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Canucklehead said:
Ocean Breeze said:

Oh come on Ocean, why be so pessimistic about this? We as a species have had our heads filled with so much drivel for millenia that it was inevitable our brains would have to become larger to accomodate it all. Give it another 60,000 years and we'll all look like Marvin the Martian with that oversized melon of his... and hell, many already have his "annihilate the Earth" attitude so we're well on our way 8O

sorry, I was being a tad facitious... :wink:

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
c.head. :)

seriously , It makes logical progressive sense that the human brain is evolving. With all the humanoids steps backwards ....and few forwards.......even the humanoid is evolving . .....VERY slowly. I sometimes wonder what humans will be like in another 3000 yrs or so. ..........(Providing we don't self destruct in our haste and greed)

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
As a firm believer in Darwinism I agree 100%.

3000 yrs from now we'll prolly resemble the Borg (with Marvin-sized heads :p )the ways things are going.

JomZ

Electoral Member
Aug 18, 2005
Reentering the Fray at CC.net
But the question remains are our brains actually becoming stronger and more efficient by growing bigger? Remember bigger isn't always better. The brain isn't a muscle.

I have always wondered the questions about where are the great thinkers and creators of this era. We don't have the Einsteins, Shakespear's, Descartes, Kants, Mozarts, or Beethovens. The ones that really tried to move things forward intelligently. I know their are people that could be like them out their but why are they not as prominent or successful?

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Re: RE: Brain *human* evolving..

JomZ said:
But the question remains are our brains actually becoming stronger and more efficient by growing bigger? Remember bigger isn't always better. The brain isn't a muscle.

I have always wondered the questions about where are the great thinkers and creators of this era. We don't have the Einsteins, Shakespear's, Descartes, Kants, Mozarts, or Beethovens. The ones that really tried to move things forward intelligently. I know their are people that could be like them out their but why are they not as prominent or successful?

good points. One can suppose that someone like Bill Gates qualifies as intelligent etc........but even he is very much part of the monetary/material fabric of society. Wonder if this is a reflection on society today. The western society relishes the leisure part of life. The instant gratification, the possessions as opposed to knowledge. , the superficial ego as opposed to true depth of thought and philosophy/contemplation. Information needs to be spoon fed to the young now.. and the lack of serious "work ethic"-in general.- might factor in. Just some random thoughts on this. Brain power is not as important .....(.it seems) as is braun. (at the moment. ) Tattoos and metal is not exactly an intellectual challenge.. :wink: Nor is "easy money"....

JomZ

Electoral Member
Aug 18, 2005
Reentering the Fray at CC.net
One can suppose that someone like Bill Gates qualifies as intelligent etc........but even he is very much part of the monetary/material fabric of society. Wonder if this is a reflection on society today. The western society relishes the leisure part of life.

It does seem that the capitalist materialism is causing a regression in humanity. Instead of working to improve society we try to remain static and regurgitate the same idea, over and over again. The west is the dominate force in the world, and their society tends to prefer to work less and play more.

I find it hysterical that reading and writing properly are becoming lost arts. We have all this potential and we waste it on the television, internet, and pointless exercises in futility. I'm still young and I am trying everyday to change that about myself, but it is more challenging then one would think.