New Orleans Mayor Orders Mandatory Evacuation

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
A state of emergancy has been declared within New Orleans.

Hurricane Katrnia, a once in a lifetime storm, now is at category 5 , has a storm surge of 20-30 feet, has 175 mph winds and heading towards the city. Early Monday morning, Katrina will hit New Orleans very hard and will submerge the city under a minimum of 5-10 feet of water. Estimates go even as high as 20 feet or more of water. Problem here is the city is built 10-12 feet below sea level. Folks that cannot evecuate are advised to take shelter in a 3 story or higher location.

Predictions go as high as $100 billion in damage.

Let us hope these folks evacuate to safety or get to a high enough elevation.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
This is a terribly sad thing, and must be terrifying for those who live in New Orleans and those who have loved ones living there. I hope everybody gets out safely. It breaks my heart to think of that beautiful old city being torn asunder in this way.

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
Been watching it on CNN and FauxNews today - this is shaping up to be a real Sh*t-kicker....

The worst of the problem is that however much water DOES get into the city cannot flow out - it has to be PUMPED. But without power, how is that going to happen?

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
A tragedy ......courtesy of "Mother" nature......unfolding. All we can do is hope the casualties are minimal.......and as many as possible evacuate to safety.

N.O is such a unique and beautiful city .....

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
I guess thats the price you have to pay for living in a hurricane zone 8O I wouldn't give you a wooden nickel to live down there 'I was in 2 different tornado's when i was a kid and that was enough for me :wink:

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
mrmom2 said:
I guess thats the price you have to pay for living in a hurricane zone 8O

Besides that, I was wondering why build a city that's actually under sea level in hurricane alley??? I never did understand that, but at least those that are choosing to stay are hastening Natural Selection.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Jo Canadian said:
Besides that, I was wondering why build a city that's actually under sea level in hurricane alley??? I never did understand that, but at least those that are choosing to stay are hastening Natural Selection.

Natural selection, sure... of people who are too poor to leave. Take a look at the pictures, the ones staying behind are mainly poverty-level black people from the inner city, they're the ones who couldn't get out, didn't have the money, didn't have the transportation. From what I understand, there aren't a lot of people who are choosing to stay because they want to. They're very frightened, actually.

New Orleans is a very old city. I strongly suspect the founders of the city didn't think in terms of being under sea level in a hurricane alley.

Besides, living in an earthquake zone... living in a hurricane zone... what's the difference, in the end. Vancouver and most of Vancouver Island are smack dab or near major faults. Sure, earthquakes may not happen as often, but when they do happen they're equally as devastating.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Re: RE: New Orleans Mayor Orders Mandatory Evacuation

mrmom2 said:
Thats why i don't live in those area's anymore Haggis

:D I used to worry about it when I was younger - in fact, I would not even drive through San Francisco when I was in my early 20s, I'd skirt around it! - but now I don't worry about it in the least. Whatever happens, happens. It's all part of the adventure. :lol: [/i]

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Re: RE: New Orleans Mayor Orders Mandatory Evacuation

I hate moving. It is expensive. I can see why there are those in such areas that have no choice, but as long as you have two legs and a heartbeat, you could Ben Johnson your way to high ground. I think it'd be harder with those with families though.

Now that I can barely affort to move, at least in PEI here the only natural disaster problem here is Erosion which is thankfully slow.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Many of these folks consider the risk factor of such a hurricane ever hitting them and the chances are very small. Once every 30 to 40 years. That is not reason enough to pack up and leave. I am sure most of the families if they could, will choose to remain in New Orleans once this ordeal is over. The reason I say "if they could" is that I fear many will be left homeless my this storm.

I live in a twiser zone and similarly chances of twisters hitting here are very remote, so the risk factor does not justify moving.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: New Orleans Mayor Ord

This will be the beginning of problems for N.O. and cities like Miami. Since the polar caps are melting and ocean levels are rising, these cities will have bigger problems in the not so distant future.

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
swirling in the abyss of nowhere la
I was just looking on the news and see that the Superdome,ie emergency shelter is starting to leak and lose it's roof...so much for that plan, now they must evacuate the eveacuations centre...lovely. I sure am glad to live where I do

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Just saw that the hurricane is tearing pieces out of The Superdome roof :( Not good for the approx. 10,000 people taking shelter there.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
I was going by the count as of 8:30 here[CNN this morning]It could have held 50-60 thousand easily.The last I heard was that many folk are trapped in their homes and even the police aren't able to rescue them. I just pray that the storm isn't as bad as predicted.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Interesting that some people refused to leave under the mandatory evacuation, and are now asking to be rescued. Too late folks.

6ft of water in some parts of nawlins, in the low lying areas along the coast, i heard reports of 2-4 ft of water ON THE SECOND FLOOR!!!!!!!!