Big, Big Bear!

Is this for real?

The photos are of a guy who works for the Forest Service. He was out deer hunting. A large grizzly bear charged him from about 50 yards away. He unloaded his 7mm Semi-automatic rifle into the bear and it dropped a few feet from him. The big bear was still alive so he reloaded and capped it in the head. The bear was over one thousand six hundred pounds. It stood 12' 6" high at the shoulder, and 14' to the top of his head. It's the largest grizzly bear ever recorded in the world. Of course, the game department did not let him keep it. It will be mounted and put on display at the Anchorage airport to remind tourists of the risks involved when in the wild. You would be level with the bear's belly button when he stood upright. When on all fours, he would look you in the eye. To give it additional perspective, consider that this bear, standing on its hind legs, could walk up to an average single story house and look over the roof. The bear had killed at least two people. His last meal was the unlucky hiker in the third picture. The Forest Service found his 38-caliber pistol emptied. Although the hiker fired six shots, only four managed to hit the bear. (they ultimately found four 38-caliber slugs along with the seven 7mm slugs inside the bear's dead body) The 38's only wounded him---and really pissed him off. The bear killed the hiker an estimated three days prior to the bear's own demise by the Forest Service worker.
Must have been around for quite a few years to get that size!I give high marks for the coolness of the Service Worker in such a situation.
Haggis McBagpipe
The Truth (according to

Thanks to our readers, the truth about these pictures has been found. The facts are a little different from the original eRumor, but the pictures do record the results of a true hunt and are real.

The original pictures lacked the label linking them with, but that is where the pictures reside. They were posted by a hunter who used the nickname Dalliwacker, on (external - login to view), but who is, according to published articles, Jim Urban. He says that the bear was actually ten feet high and weighed between 1,000 and 1,200 pounds. He says the bear did not stand up then drop down and charge. It showed no aggression at all. He also says the bear was not shot on Hitchenbrook Island but, like all good hunters, he won't be specific about where he got it.

The version of the eRumor that claims the bear was a killer and was shot by a forest service employee are false.
no new posts