U.S. to Help Rescue Russian Mini-Sub

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
VLADIVOSTOK, Russia - A Russian mini-submarine carrying seven sailors snagged on a fishing net and was stuck 625 feet down on the Pacific floor Friday with only enough air for crewmen to survive one day, and the United States was rushing an unmanned vehicle there to help in rescue efforts.

However, it was unclear whether there was enough oxygen aboard the mini-sub to keep the crew alive long enough for the remote-controlled U.S. vehicle to reach them from its base in San Diego.

The Russian sub's propeller became entangled in a fishing net Thursday, Russian navy Capt. Igor Dygalo said on state-run Rossiya television. The accident occurred in Beryozovaya Bay, about 50 miles south of Kamchatka's capital, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, officials said.

"There is air remaining on the underwater apparatus for a day — one day," he said at about 6 a.m. EDT. "The operation continues. We have a day, and intensive, active measures will be taken to rescue the AS-28 vessel and the people aboard."

Russian Pacific Fleet spokesman Capt. Alexander Kosolapov said contact had been made with the sailors, who were not hurt.

Dygalo told NTV television that Russian authorities were working out a rescue plan that could be put in motion later in the day, but he did not describe it.

He also said a British plane carrying unspecified rescue equipment was being sent but was not expected before Saturday.

The mini-sub, called an AS-28, was too deep to allow the sailors to swim to the surface on their own or for divers to reach it, officials said.

The accident occurred early Thursday after the mini-submarine was launched from a rescue ship during a combat training exercise, Kosolapov said. The AS-28, built in 1989, is about 44 feet long and 19 feet high and can dive to depths of 1,640 feet.

Two surface ships were sweeping the area with nets in the hope of wresting the trapped vessel from the sea floor, adding that the rescue effort would continue into the night, Dygalo said.

Russia appealed to the United States and Japan for assistance, the Interfax news agency quoted Foreign Ministry spokesman Boris Malakhov as saying.

At least one robotic rescue vehicle from San Diego will be shipped on a plane Friday to Russia to help save the submarine. The unmanned vehicle, called a Super Scorpio, can reach depths of up to 5,000 feet and is equipped with high-powered lights, sonar and video cameras, said Capt. Matt Brown, a spokesman for the U.S. Navy's Pacific Fleet in Honolulu.

The Deep Submergence Unit team is scheduled to leave San Diego's North Island Naval Air Station on an Air Force C-5 transport plane at 1:45 p.m. EDT, the Pentagon said.

The Super Scorpio then will be transported by truck and loaded on a Russian ship before making its descent to the stricken vessel.

Brown said the Russian military has indicated that the AS-28 may have been fouled by fishing nets or steel cables. The vehicle does have an instrument that can cut steel cables, he said.

The Super Scorpio, which weighs about 4,500 pounds, has been used to conduct underwater surveys and inspections.

About 30 people will accompany the vehicle to Russia, Brown said.

"We are working as fast as we can to make this happen," he said.

Since Soviet times, the Kamchatka Peninsula has housed several major submarine bases and numerous other military facilities, and large areas of it have remained closed to outsiders.

Airlifting a U.S. underwater vehicle to the area will mark the first time since the World War II era that a U.S. military plane has been allowed to fly there.

At Moscow's request, Japan dispatched a vessel carrying submarine rescue gear and three other ships to join salvage efforts, but they weren't expected to arrive at the scene until early next week, Marine Self Defense Force spokesman Hidetsubu Iwamasa said.

The accident occurred almost exactly five years after the nuclear submarine Kursk sank to the bottom of the Barents Sea after explosions on board, killing all 118 seamen aboard. Some Kursk sailors survived for hours after the accident as oxygen ran out, and Russian authorities came under sharp criticism for their handling of the crisis.

The same type of vessel that is now stuck, called a Priz, was used in the rescue efforts that followed the Kursk disaster, Interfax reported.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Let's hope this works out for them.

I simply couldn't go on a sub like that.....I'm to chicken shit.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: U.S. to Help Rescue R

I saw on news the US Navy was flying a rescue unit over to help. But it was a 10 hour flight and seven hour drive. I have not heard if it has arrived yet. I hope soon.

At least Russia asked for International help this time and did not wait until it was too late like last time.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: U.S. to Help Rescue R

The Russians issued a press release this morning saying that the guys in the sub were still okay. That was several hours ago though.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
British lower robot to stricken Russian sub -
Crews began lowering a British remote-controlled underwater vehicle to a Russian mini-submarine trapped deep under the Pacific Ocean on Sunday, hoping to reach seven trapped crewmen before their air supply ran out.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Well thank God they reacted right away this time and asked for help. It's nice to see happy endings for a change. First the Toronto air crash with no casualties and now this. :D

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Now they are calling the Russian sailors "heroes". How are they heroes? They didn't do anything. They had no choice but to sit there and waite to be rescued. In order to be a hero you have to make a choice and risk your life to save someone else. I think that word is thrown around too much. I'm glad they're okay, but they're not heroes. They're lucky there government wasn't too proud to ask for help.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I think not said:
Well thank God they reacted right away this time and asked for help.

There mustn't be any secret technology on this sub...

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Gonzo said:
Now they are calling the Russian sailors "heroes". How are they heroes? They didn't do anything. They had no choice but to sit there and waite to be rescued. In order to be a hero you have to make a choice and risk your life to save someone else. I think that word is thrown around too much. I'm glad they're okay, but they're not heroes. They're lucky there government wasn't too proud to ask for help.

don't see the big deal there. Seems "hero worship" is part of their culture too. (not as extreme as in the US though ).... Maybe the word "survivors" isn't "glamous " enough.

but glad to see a "happy" ending to that situation. Makes a nice counterpoint to all the tragic ones.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Gonzo said:

Everyone's a hero. No matter what you do, even sports figures are "heroes" now. It's all BS, looking for headlines.