New Chinese Currency Move

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
China has stopped the practise of pegging its yuan against the US dollar.Now,its currency has its value changed daily.the implications of this may mean [among other things] higher prices at WalMart and further tough talk from the Americans. I'd say the future will be very interesting,indeed.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Did you hear that Leno joke "Walmart is building 90 stores in China. And one of them will be know as "The Great WalMart Of China"?

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
CHINA FLOATS, AMERICA SINKS
YUAN KICKS DOLLAR BUTT BY REJECTING "FREE MARKET"

by Greg Palast

In case you haven't the least idea what the heck it means for China to "float" its currency, let me put it in the language we economists use: China's float don't mean squat.

Yet our President, a guy whose marks in Economics 101 are too embarrassing to publish here, ran out to hail the fact that buying Chinese money will now cost more dollars.

The White House line to the media, swallowed whole, is that by making Chinese money (yuan) more expensive to buy with dollars, Americans will buy fewer computers and toys from China -- and US employment will rise.

This will happen when we find Saddam's Weapons of Mass Destruction.

Economics Lesson #1: You can't change the value of goods by changing the value of the currency on the price tag. As my comrade Art Laffer wrote me, "If cheap currency makes your products more competitive, all automobiles would be made in Russia." Driven a Lada lately?

Economics Lesson #2: Don't take economics lessons from George Bush. Or Milton Friedman. Or Thomas Friedman. What that means, class, is don't believe the big, hot pile of hype that China's zooming economy is the result of that Red nation's adopting free market economic policies.

If China is now a capitalist free-market state, then I'm Mariah Carey. China's economy has soared because it stubbornly refused the Free – and Friedman-Market mumbo-jumbo that government should stop controlling, owning and regulating industry.

China's announcement that it would raise the cost of the yuan covered over a more important notice that China would bar foreign control of its steel sector. China's leaders have built a powerhouse steel industry larger than ours by directing the funding, output, location and ownership of all factories. And rather than "freeing" the industry through opening their borders to foreign competition, the Chinese, for steel and every other product, have shut their borders tight to foreigners except as it suits China’s own needs.

China won't join NAFTA or CAFTA or any of those free-trade clubs. In China, Chinese industry comes first. And it's still, Mssrs. Friedman, the Peoples’ republic. Those Wal-Mart fashion designs called, chillingly, "New Order," are made in factories owned by the PLA, the Chinese Peoples' Liberation Army.

In an interview just before he won the Nobel Prize in economics, Joe Stiglitz explained to me that China's huge financial surge -- a stunning 9.5% jump in GDP this year -- began with the government's funding and nurturing rural cooperatives, fledgling industry protected behind high, high trade barriers.

It is true that China's growth got a boost from ending the bloodsoaked self-flagellating madness of Mao's Cultural Revolution. And China, when it chooses, makes use of markets and market pricing to distribute resources. However, Chinese markets are as free as my kids: they can do whatever they want unless I say they can't.

Yes, China is adopting elements of "capitalism." And that's the ugly part: real estate speculation in Shanghai making millionaires of Communist party boss relatives and bank shenanigans worthy of a Neil Bush.

It is not the Guangdong skyscrapers and speculative bubble which allows China to sell us $162 billion more goods a year than we sell them. It is that China's government, by rejecting free-market fundamentalism, can easily conquer American markets where protection is now deemed passé.

And that is why the yuan has kicked the dollar's butt.

America’s only response is to have Alan Greenspan push up real interest rates so we can buy back our own dollars the Chinese won in the export game. The domestic result: US wages drifting down to Mexican maquiladora levels.

Am I praising China? Forget about it. This is one evil dictatorship which jails union organizers and beats, shackles and tortures those who don't kowtow to the wishes of Chairman Rob -- Wal-Mart chief Robson Walton. (Funny how Mr. Bush never mentions the D-word, Democracy, to our Chinese suppliers.)

Class dismissed.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
mrmom2 said:
CHINA FLOATS, AMERICA SINKS
YUAN KICKS DOLLAR BUTT BY REJECTING "FREE MARKET"

by Greg Palast

In case you haven't the least idea what the heck it means for China to "float" its currency, let me put it in the language we economists use: China's float don't mean squat.

Yet our President, a guy whose marks in Economics 101 are too embarrassing to publish here, ran out to hail the fact that buying Chinese money will now cost more dollars.

The White House line to the media, swallowed whole, is that by making Chinese money (yuan) more expensive to buy with dollars, Americans will buy fewer computers and toys from China -- and US employment will rise.

This will happen when we find Saddam's Weapons of Mass Destruction.

Economics Lesson #1: You can't change the value of goods by changing the value of the currency on the price tag. As my comrade Art Laffer wrote me, "If cheap currency makes your products more competitive, all automobiles would be made in Russia." Driven a Lada lately?

Economics Lesson #2: Don't take economics lessons from George Bush. Or Milton Friedman. Or Thomas Friedman. What that means, class, is don't believe the big, hot pile of hype that China's zooming economy is the result of that Red nation's adopting free market economic policies.

If China is now a capitalist free-market state, then I'm Mariah Carey. China's economy has soared because it stubbornly refused the Free – and Friedman-Market mumbo-jumbo that government should stop controlling, owning and regulating industry.

China's announcement that it would raise the cost of the yuan covered over a more important notice that China would bar foreign control of its steel sector. China's leaders have built a powerhouse steel industry larger than ours by directing the funding, output, location and ownership of all factories. And rather than "freeing" the industry through opening their borders to foreign competition, the Chinese, for steel and every other product, have shut their borders tight to foreigners except as it suits China’s own needs.

China won't join NAFTA or CAFTA or any of those free-trade clubs. In China, Chinese industry comes first. And it's still, Mssrs. Friedman, the Peoples’ republic. Those Wal-Mart fashion designs called, chillingly, "New Order," are made in factories owned by the PLA, the Chinese Peoples' Liberation Army.

In an interview just before he won the Nobel Prize in economics, Joe Stiglitz explained to me that China's huge financial surge -- a stunning 9.5% jump in GDP this year -- began with the government's funding and nurturing rural cooperatives, fledgling industry protected behind high, high trade barriers.

It is true that China's growth got a boost from ending the bloodsoaked self-flagellating madness of Mao's Cultural Revolution. And China, when it chooses, makes use of markets and market pricing to distribute resources. However, Chinese markets are as free as my kids: they can do whatever they want unless I say they can't.

Yes, China is adopting elements of "capitalism." And that's the ugly part: real estate speculation in Shanghai making millionaires of Communist party boss relatives and bank shenanigans worthy of a Neil Bush.

It is not the Guangdong skyscrapers and speculative bubble which allows China to sell us $162 billion more goods a year than we sell them. It is that China's government, by rejecting free-market fundamentalism, can easily conquer American markets where protection is now deemed passé.

And that is why the yuan has kicked the dollar's butt.

America’s only response is to have Alan Greenspan push up real interest rates so we can buy back our own dollars the Chinese won in the export game. The domestic result: US wages drifting down to Mexican maquiladora levels.

Am I praising China? Forget about it. This is one evil dictatorship which jails union organizers and beats, shackles and tortures those who don't kowtow to the wishes of Chairman Rob -- Wal-Mart chief Robson Walton. (Funny how Mr. Bush never mentions the D-word, Democracy, to our Chinese suppliers.)

Class dismissed.

good post. :thumbleft:

( but we gotta recognize that they are shrewd, smart and patient. )

Tai_Te

Jul 19, 2005
Nanjing, China
RE: New Chinese Currency

mrmom2 your post is way too long so I don't even know where to start with it. Get to the point.

China is part of WTO and it has to meet free-market targets set by that organization.

China has beenhelping out it's rural industries but that's something that is done in (as far as I know) all developed countries, including USA and Canada.

Both Friedman and Stiglitz, although very different on their views of economics and globalization, believe China has been doing great. However, the point Stiglitz would make is that China has transformed to an open market economy on it's own time, rather than by using "shock therapy" such as Russia. The difference between the two views is about speed and method of market reform.

O, and to clear it up. The yuan is now tied to a basket of currencies. It is not floating.

Sy

Electoral Member
May 17, 2005
Kingston, Ontario
RE: New Chinese Currency

All I know is with China now adopting a more Western free-market atmosphere there is a lot, and I mean A LOT, of monies moving around in that country. I hear you can get grants, loans and investments for almost any business nowadays so long as you're creating jobs over there. It's insane and I want some of that money!

Not to mention the back-asswards-ness of the Chinese people working for so much less than we Westerners expect. Here companies reach a point where they automate more and more to reduce labour costs. There the labour is so cheap that you can have like 5 times the people for the same price as a regular work force here.
That AND the efficiency of these people has to be seen to be believed. So cheap labour AND it's USEFUL? How can your business NOT do well?

LaoWai

May 31, 2005
Hefei PRC
Re: RE: New Chinese Currency

Sy said:
Not to mention the back-asswards-ness of the Chinese people working for so much less than we Westerners expect. Here companies reach a point where they automate more and more to reduce labour costs. There the labour is so cheap that you can have like 5 times the people for the same price as a regular work force here.
That AND the efficiency of these people has to be seen to be believed. So cheap labour AND it's USEFUL? How can your business NOT do well?

Efficiency of the Chinese labour force? What you been smoking?

Try walking into a supermarket in China and see just how efficient the 30 or 40 superfluous staff members are. They apparently are paid to stand around chatting to each other all day.

Those five extra bricklayers you see on all the construction sites in China, take turns sleeping.

Those two security guards out front of every gate in China, take turns drinking, watching TV, and sleeping in their little huts instead of actually checking the perimeter.

Visit an office between 11:30 and 2:30 in the afternoon and it will almost be deserted as people go home to eat lunch and have a nap. Those who stay behind sleep at their desks, sometimes until four.

During spring festival every business closes shop for at least a month.

Efficiency, schefficiency.

China ain't what you think.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
China economy even bigger than thought

A teaser:

SHANGHAI China said Tuesday that its economy was far bigger than previously estimated, and the new figures suggested it had probably passed France, Italy and Britain to become the world's fourth-largest economy.

The announcement sent economists and financial prognosticators scrambling to rethink their assessments of the rise of China and its role on the world stage. Many of them even brought forward their estimations of when China might eclipse the United States as the world's biggest economy.

"We now have a new snapshot of the Chinese economy," said Hong Liang, an economist at Goldman Sachs in Hong Kong. "This is not slightly bigger - it's a significantly bigger economy." [/end of teaser]

click above link for rest of article.

I am not surprised. They will be number one within a few years.

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
Hi! no1important

I enjoyed that article about China.

Yuh know; if ever I won the lotto (I plan on winning tommorow), the first place I'd want to visit would be China. It has always facinated me since I was a kid in grade school.

Calm