Squeege Action

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Sorry no link, sent via i-mail.

N E W S R E L E A S E For Immediate Release

SQUEEGEE ACTION

OTTAWA- A group of squeegee kids have organized a protest of the so called, “Safe Streets Act” and for Saturday June 25, at 10:30 am to 12:30 pm. Their aim is to take by the streets for the purpose of making a living.

A group of squeegee kids will be there to squeegee cars and pass out information about the cities complete ban on all street enterprises. Panhandling as well as the distribution of arts, crafts, street newspapers and busking are not permitted on Ottawa streets with or without a business license. A homeless person will be charged and jailed for distributing a street paper for donations, or if they distribute their arts and crafts or play music for donations.

The city is using both the temporary bylaw “Designated Spaces Program” and the “Safe Streets Act” to enforce this extensive ban on street economic activity.

The homeless are the hardest hit because they do not have any options. Massive cuts to social programs and increased aggressive policing towards street involved persons have created a tremendous crisis on Ottawa streets. Most are not job ready and the flexibility of street enterprises is the only feasible way for them to make a living

The Mayors office and the city legal department with the support of Councillor Diane Holmes is trying to make this temporary “Designated Spaces Program” bylaw permanent by the end of August this year. The current temporary bylaw involved with the “Designated Spaces Program” only allows hot dog stands and chip wagons in the down town core. No other street vending is aloud with or without a license. The permanent version will be extended to include only one more enterprise and that is ice-cream bicycle and special events put on by the Business Associations will also be permitted. A staff report was submitted to the Emergency Protection Committee on June 9, 2005 entitled Vending On Highways (highways defined in the report as all streets and all sidewalks in Ottawa).

Panhandler Proshanto Smith says, “I am being treated like a criminal for trying to make a living on the street the best way I can. I have been harassed by police for squeegee, panhandling and distributing the Dominion newspaper for donations.”

Jane Scharf says, “we are being forced to break the law to make a living”. The crime in my view is the cruel exclusion of these brothers and sisters on the street. They have a right to exist and share in the wealth of this country.

I challenge the policy makers to go back to the drawing board and develop fair plans for the management of Ottawa Street life.”

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
So now what are these people going to do? I would suggest to the residents of Ottawa that they lock down the house cause there's going to be an increase in property thefts. Without addressing both sides of the problem they have only moved the problem from one area (the streets of downtown Ottawa) to another area (outside the downtown Ottawa area, or a neighbourhood near you).

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Mixed opinions on this one. Nothing annoys me more than being accosted at stop lights by an unstable, dirty individual brandishing a filthy rag and determined to smear the bugshit around on my windshield. I am assertive enough to deal with it, but have seen many older people scared out of their wits. I use the old Soup Nazi tactic and yell out the window "No money for you! If you touch my car, I'm getting out to kick your ass." It works. Usually.

On the other hand, Victoria being the homeless capital of Canada I'm sure, I see enterprising street people that I consistently give to. There are programs here to support them. Outside my favourite grocery store here in James Bay one homeless women frequently sells a street people newspaper. I always buy one from her ... even the same issue several times. Paying her $5 for a newspaper (which I do read) is better than supporting the local daily rag or filling Starbuck's coffers. She is not asking for a hand out, but a hand up.

I came out of another market downtown recently, laden with a bunch of grocery bags, and this street person looks up at me struggling with all these bags and says "Any spare change?" Normally I either drop a few cents in the cup or at least offer a smile and a negative headshake. Instead I just stopped and stared at her. I didn't bother to tell her, although I regret not doing so, that if she wanted money she could have offered to help carry the damn groceries to my vehicle. Obviously my hands were full. What was I going to do? Set everything down on the sidewalk and dig for a quarter? Ack. I was annoyed.

The whole mindset of something for nothing bugs me. I certainly understand how people can get into bad situations where they find themselves homeless. It could happen to me! But if it did, you can bet I wouldn't be sitting on my ass asking for nickles. I'd be offering to wash windows, carry groceries, walk people's cats ... whatever it took.

Granted many of the homeless are not mentally healthy and I can excuse them from this rant. The ones that annoy me are the healthy, able ones who want my money and offer nothing in return. It ain't the way the world works and perhaps if they didn't have that attitude they might not be on the street!

Whew! Got me going with that one!!

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Re: RE: Squeege Action

bevvyd said:
So now what are these people going to do? I would suggest to the residents of Ottawa that they lock down the house cause there's going to be an increase in property thefts. Without addressing both sides of the problem they have only moved the problem from one area (the streets of downtown Ottawa) to another area (outside the downtown Ottawa area, or a neighbourhood near you).

This is how Ottawa deals with problems. I live in one of the worst areas in the city. There are also a lot of affluent people living among us poppers. The snooty yuppies to their best to drive the crime into other areas. People do the same in other areas, then the hookers, addicts ect are back here. It runs in cycles, I'd say every 5 years, there are problems here, then they "go" away.

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
ahh yes the ol NIMBY stand. It solves all the problems haven't you seen it? Well me either. Call your politicians to task and make them aware of your concerns, but better yet, go out and vote if you don't already. Politicians hate it when you vote them out.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Cosmo said:
On the other hand, Victoria being the homeless capital of Canada I'm sure, I see enterprising street people that I consistently give to. There are programs here to support them. Outside my favourite grocery store here in James Bay one homeless women frequently sells a street people newspaper. I always buy one from her ... even the same issue several times. Paying her $5 for a newspaper (which I do read) is better than supporting the local daily rag or filling Starbuck's coffers. She is not asking for a hand out, but a hand up.

Jane Scharf has started something similar, although I forget the name of the publication. There is a local printer who prints copies of it for free. The city has now decicded EVERYONE must have a permit to sell anything, anywhere in the city, or else they get shut down and/or fined. BUnch of bastards!

The whole mindset of something for nothing bugs me. I certainly understand how people can get into bad situations where they find themselves homeless. It could happen to me! But if it did, you can bet I wouldn't be sitting on my ass asking for nickles. I'd be offering to wash windows, carry groceries, walk people's cats ... whatever it took.

I find around here, people I give to will help me out if I need it. Every so often I'll bumb a smoke or a quarter and often times they buy treats for my daughter or give me money to buy myself a beer. That really touches me and I will alwyas do what can if they ask. On the other hand, there are those who only want what they can take, that ANNOYS me!

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Said1 said:
I find around here, people I give to will help me out if I need it. Every so often I'll bumb a smoke or a quarter and often times they buy treats for my daughter or give me money to buy myself a beer. That really touches me and I will alwyas do what can if they ask. On the other hand, there are those who only want what they can take, that ANNOYS me!

Said ... In my investigations over the years I've learned the one thing that upsets street people more than anything else is being treated as though they don't exist. Many people will not even acknowledge them. I am much like you in that I see them. Often that's worth more than the change we put in their cups.

It seems to me that the legislation discussed at the beginning of this thread is another attempt to render homeless people invisible. I find that dispicable. I do agree that people need to be protected from the aggressive street dwellers but sweeping the entire thing under the carpet and pretending it doesn't exist is no solution.

Here in Victoria there seems to be a delicate balance. The powers that be have worked hard to create it. Street people have certain responsibilities if they wish to panhandle. Bongo drums have been outlawed (thank god!!) to keep the annoyance level low. There are programs available for street people (like the newspaper). It is certainly not ideal, but it is a step in the right direction.

One thing I have found interesting in talking to the street kids is that a good number of them are not even street kids. They have homes they can go to at the end of a hard day of panhandling. I've learned to discern which are which since I'm really not interested in supplementing some kid's allowance.

Interesting topic.

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
Cosmo,

Someone here on the Mainland started selling no squeegee signs which hang from your rear view mirror. All the squeegee kids respect them, well most from what I hear. Get some and maybe the kids can sell them too and make a $.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
I like the street kids, not the ones that answer their cell phones tho :twisted: many of them have suffered at the hands of adults. Big deal if you give them a few bucks.