US Property Rights?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
It looks as if the Courts were divided on the issue...

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
I've been listening to this issue on the radio all morning and thats the best answer I've heard so far 8) ITN One thing this should do is let you know what govement representatives are on the side of your constitution and which are not :wink:

AirIntake

Electoral Member
Mar 9, 2005
I understand when peoples houses are bought out for a highway expansion, water treatment centre, etc. But just any commercial venture? That's just sickening USA capitalist bullshit.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Bill of rights: 5th amendment of US constitution:

...."nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation. " --end lines of the 5th amendment...

--------------------------------

Every government in the world assumes this ability.

Not to understand why leaves a shallow appreciation of the nature of society and its natural seesaw of conflict between the GREATER PUBLIC GOOD vs INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS.

You can deny the seesaw, but it sits in every playground, and is the nature of mankind.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
You should consider the Canadian form of "Eminent Domain."

But I agree with all of you, and so does the vicious dissent of one Supreme Court Justice, Sandra Day O'Connor.

The issue complicates itself on that gray line of the Greater Public Good vs the right of the Individual.

This town govt made the case that tax revenue generated by development in this location would bring far greater benefit to the whole town than just respecting that individual's property rights.

If you think beyond just this narrow headline, you will consider this case to be the ultimate metaphor describing all government's positioning of the Greater Public Good vs the individual's rights.

It is a battle that will never end, not only in autocratic systems but also in democratic republics everywhere.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
There was a case in Toronto, where the corner across from the Eaton Center was recently expropriated and turned over to a private consortium in order to build a commercial development. The rationale was that the new development was better for the city than the existing shops.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
If they do that sort of thing, the government should have to pay 1.5 times the market value. That would help keep them from doing it for fun, and allow compensation for capital gains...