Canadian passport requirements could ease at US boarder

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
U.S. ambassador to Canada suggests passport requirements could ease

Last Updated Tue, 21 Jun 2005 18:40:46 EDT
CBC News

David Wilkins, the new U.S. ambassador to Canada, says there could be changes to proposed rules requiring Canadians to show passports at the border by 2008.

The former South Carolina legislator made the comments Tuesday after taking his oath of office at a ceremony in Washington, D.C.

Border security and trade issues such as beef and softwood lumber are the most important cross-border issues, Wilkins told reporters.

He also suggested a proposed law requiring Canadians crossing into the United States to show their passports may be changed before 2008, when it's supposed to come into effect.

"As I understand it, the timetable is 2008 for passports. That's still a long time from now and that's being looked at and talked about," said Wilkins.

Announced on April 5, the rules would require people entering the U.S. from countries including Canada, Mexico and Bermuda to show their passports. It is to become final this fall and be phased in by 2008.

A Republican and long-time supporter of U.S. President George W. Bush, the 59-year-old Wilkins turned down previous offers of a federal judgeship and ambassador's post in Chile.

http://www.cbc.ca/storyview/MSN/world/national/2005/06/21/ambassador-050621.html

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Well it wouldn't have made any difference to me, I always use a passport when traveling into Canada, I have it, so why not?

I imagine the pain in the ass is getting one from the start after that renewals are simple.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I think not said:
Well it wouldn't have made any difference to me, I always use a passport when traveling into Canada, I have it, so why not?

I imagine the pain in the ass is getting one from the start after that renewals are simple.

I think the pain in the ass is when you constantly "misplace" stuff like that (not moi of course).

I was allowed entry with a buspass one time! :eek:

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I don't have a passport, but I don't see what the problem is if we need one to go to the US.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
RE: Canadian passport req

As for shopping, our Chinese crap is equal to theirs anyway.
LOL

Thank god I have a passport. Would hate to have to deal with border security without it.....

PoisonPete2

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2005
There is no respect for Canadian Passports in the U.S. Arar carried one and got deported to a 3rd country where he was tortured. There is no respect for International Treaties by the Bush Administration. There is no rule of Law in the U.S. and I will not return there until civility returns to the U.S. Perhaps, under current circumstances, it is good to emphasize that the U.S. is a foreign country by using passports.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Canadian passport req

As long as they need passports to get into Canada (not just to get home) complete with any biometric data they require us to give, then I have no problem with it.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Canadian passport req

Twila said:
LOL

Thank god I have a passport. Would hate to have to deal with border security without it.....

I was recently in th US. Baorder crossing was extramly easy...they wanted photo ID, asked me where I was going and how long I would be. Thats it.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Canadian passport requirements could ease at US boar

PoisonPete2 said:
There is no rule of Law in the U.S.

I really wish I had known this while I was in America recently. Think of all the nice things I could have got for free.

:roll:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Re: RE: Canadian passport req

Jay said:
Twila said:
LOL

I was recently in th US. Baorder crossing was extramly easy...they wanted photo ID, asked me where I was going and how long I would be. Thats it.

It's easy now. But I don't think that in the near future it's going to be as easy. I think that should Canada actually implement their fees and duties on softwood, it may get harder to cross with only picture id.

It's very easy for us right now....it's not so easy if your skin is permenantly tan......

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"it may get harder to cross with only picture id. "

We will need to bring some softwood with us to speed things up....