Ahh these pitbulls again

GreenGreta

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2005
Lala Land
Story out of California:

A 12 year old boy is mauled to death by his OWN dog. His mother, for all her infinite wisdom (the idiot) locks her CHILD in the basement and tells him to STAY. The child ignores her, goes to get a drink (probably) and gets killed by his dog. She says "well, he didn't listen, he should have stayed in the basement".

Apparantly the male dog was protecting his "in heat" female. Why didn't the woman lock up the dogs and tell them to "stay". Why do our children have to be imprisioned to protect them from vicious dogs? Since when is it allowable to imprision our children?

Sadly, there were no charges laid. The mother should have been charged with CHILD ENDANGERMENT at the very least. They put the dogs to death, she put her child to death. Just curious, what was his crime? Why weren't the dogs locked up to protect him? WHY DID SHE PROTECT HER GODDAMNED DOGS?

Andygal

Electoral Member
May 13, 2005
BC
People are stupid. Society is stupid. The universe is stupid. There are only 3 things that are certain; death, taxes, and stupidity.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
RE: Ahh these pitbulls ag

Think they'll have cause to sterilize this woman now?

She should really never ever breed.....be it 2 leggeds or 4 leggeds...

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
A similar thing happened out west. A women and her boyfriend had a party, and in the middle of the night the dogs got out of the basement and killed her kid.
I blame owners. My sister had a Doberman and it was a wonderful dog. It had been abused before my sister took it and it was a perfect pet. If you show a dog love it'll be fine. It's idiot humans who should be put down, not the animals.

GreenGreta

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2005
Lala Land
Yes, the humans make the pets. But don't forget, they are wild animals with survival instincts.

However, the new survival means eat little johnny cause he's touchin my kibble.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
This topic outrages me. The knee-jerk reaction to pitbulls is obscene. While it is true a bite from one of these dogs does cause more damage than that of, say, a poodle, the truth is that pitbulls are not number one on the bite list.

Here is an excerpt from an interesting article on the topic:
http://www.thedogplace.com/library/articles156.htm

Fatal attacks since 1975 have been attributed to over 30 different dog breeds yet all the media can talk about are Pit bulls, Rottweilers, Dobermans, or Akitas. Size alone is not an accurate indicator of which dogs are capable of killing and which dogs are not. In October of 2000, a baby was killed by a four pound family Pomeranian dog in California. In February of 2002, a Jack Russell Terrier mauled a 6 week old baby in Tennessee.

For an entire category of bites, there is no reporting at all. This is for so called provoked bites. Bites that occur at veterinarian offices, dog groomers, and boarding kennels in many counties are automatically declared to be provoked bites. Those that know dog bite statistics from the inside out are those that work with animals for a living. I recently polled a number of animal shelter workers and this is what they said about dog bites. Most of the bites have been by small unfriendly Terrier type dogs and Cocker Spaniels. Occasionally they have seen a larger dog on a bite case but the vast majority of the bites were from small to medium sized dogs.

The dog groomers I spoke to said most of the bites they see are from Schnauzers, Cocker Spaniels, Westies, Scotties, and Dachshunds.

Next I polled a number of veterinarians. One veterinarian said to me, "Give me a so-called vicious Pit Bull over a Cocker Spaniel, Dachshund, or even a Lab any day!! These are the breeds I have the most problem with." Another vet concurred saying that in years of working at a veterinarian clinic she never once encountered a single vicious Pit bull yet had problems all the time with Cocker Spaniels and Yorkshire Terriers.

*sigh* Another thing for the Frightened Family of our society to foam at the mouth about. Easier to target pitbulls than things like automobiles -- which cause far more fatalities every year.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
It's not the size of the pit bull that worries me,it's the lack of any intelligence and the dead look in their eyes!Rotts and Doberman's are smarter and just as deadly. I've only seen 2 pit bulls here that were not owned by drug dealers,so we avoid them as best as we can.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

It's not the size of the pit bull that worries me,it's the lack of any intelligence and the dead look in their eyes

Somethings wrong with the dogs you've seen for sure. Ours were very smart. But we worked their brains not just their bodies...

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Breed specific bans are stupid. Go after the owners, by all means, but blaming an entire breed of dog is ridiculous. I've never been a big fan of pit bulls, but that has nothing to do with their reputation...I just don't like the way they look.

Anybody who leaves any large dog alone with a child is asking for trouble though. Dogs don't think like people. They may decide the kid is a threat or they may decide the kid is prey. That can happen with any breed.

What will they be banning next? Rottweilers? German Shepherds? Golden labs? Dobermans? Huskies? I've been nipped by all of those breeds. All of those breeds are big enough to do serious damage too, especially to a child.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Rather than ban the breed, they should introduce a licensing program, just like they do with guns.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

The training program would have to be more intense, since dogs are much more complicated than guns, but if the choice is between breed bans and owner licensing, I'll pick the owner licensing.

I spent a lot of years living with a large and sometimes violent German Shepherd. Clyde was a nice dog, but I was careful with her since she had a propensity for thinking all strangers were axe murderers.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"The training program would have to be more intense, since dogs are much more complicated than guns,"

I Agree totally....

GreenGreta

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2005
Lala Land
I personally have only had problems with Black Labs myself and people laugh when I say that. I have seen it more than any problems with the pits I have known.

It's the poodles (and all the breeds they make from them) that need banning. They are just gay.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

You should try having four dogs of varying ages and totally different personalities, Jay. The whole pack mentality kicks in then. They are all bad influences on each other.