Zimbabwe "Election" results

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Zimbabwe "Election" r

Not really news, MMMike. The thing is that we all knew how this was going to go. The surprising thing is that the opposition gets any seats at all. The good thing is that was less violence this time.

I think we'll be seeing some changes there soon though...within the next few years. People won't stand for it for very long and the economy is in such poor shape that Mugabe will not be able to maintain his military. I hope it isn't too violent, but it likely will be.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Re: RE: Zimbabwe "Election" r

Reverend Blair said:
Not really news, MMMike. The thing is that we all knew how this was going to go. The surprising thing is that the opposition gets any seats at all. The good thing is that was less violence this time.

I think we'll be seeing some changes there soon though...within the next few years. People won't stand for it for very long and the economy is in such poor shape that Mugabe will not be able to maintain his military. I hope it isn't too violent, but it likely will be.

I don't hold out too much hope.... Most of the people in Africa have been suffering in extreme poverty and violence for years and years. No uprising yet. There's a timebomb waiting to explode.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

It is a time-bomb. In the case of Zimbabwe, at least, it will be local first. It won't stay that way though.

Wait until all those AIDS orphans grow up and figure out that the west, especially the US, screwed them for years when we could have been helping.

There will be a bunch of white guys in suits standing around with their thumbs up their asses mumbling things like, "They hate us because we're rich," as the pharmaceutical plants get bombed.

We'll likely see a wave come out of South America first though. They're mostly done with the blaming each other part.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Well, let's see. The US policy on AIDS in Africa is keeping them from getting drugs and discouraging them from using condoms. The food aid poicies are tied to accepting GM crops that are ecologically dangerous and keep Europe from being an export market. The World Bank and IMF policies are still forcing developing nations into debt and debt relief has been slow at best. The hotter the world gets the more crop failures there are in the developing world. Annan's UN reforms are meeting resistance.

I'd say that the closest thing they'll get to help is a small peace keeping force after the shooting is done.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Re: RE: Zimbabwe "Election" results

Rick van Opbergen said:
Sorry, wasn't my intention to make fun of you, no1important.

You have nothing to apologize for. It was a smart ass remark to show how the USA can be such hyprocrits. I mean if they had oil the USA would of been in long ago.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
It was a smart ass remark to show how the USA can be such hyprocrits. I mean if they had oil the USA would of been in long ago.

It was a dandy remark too. The US has also been active in parts of Africa that have mineral resources. It always oil. Rwanda was desperately tied up in the French (in Rwanda) and the Americans (in Uganda) working to ensure their mining companies were making a profit. Zimbabwe is more likely to fall under the push for spreading GM crops so far and wide that Europe is forced to accept them.

There's more than one sow in hog barn, and Georgie wants a turn at all of them.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
How can you blame the woes of the entire world on U.S. intervention, and then turn around and blame U.S. inaction for the AIDS epidemic? Make up your mind.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

The US has resisted...vehemently...the production and distribution of generic AIDS drugs. People have died because of it. Many people. It isn't a matter of making up my mind, it's a matter of the US government and corporations killing people for profits.

JorCON5

Dec 14, 2004
St Catharines ON
I think it's a failing for the international community. They knew the spread of HIV was going to be explosive. Many African countries don't get the media coverage other places get. (Sierra Leone, Sudan, etc, where virtually unknown). I don't even want to get started on the drug companies. They are in the biggest conflict of interest there is.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

They took an agreement that was a couple of paragraphs, expanded it to 300 pages, and basically denied medicine to sick people. Oddly enough the pharmaceutical giants are huge contributors to the Bush camp.