Shooting at school in Minnesota

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Shooting at school in

Saw that. Terrible tragedy.
Authorities discovered about an hour later that the boy had shot and killed his grandmother and grandfather, a veteran of the police force, Stately told KARE-TV.Stately said the boy used his grandfather's police-issued weapon in the school rampage.

You would think a police officer would be more careful about where he keeps his gun.

If any country needs gun control, America is it.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

It's on a reserve, so it only gets minor mention. If it happened in suburbia they'd be cancelling Friends' re-reruns for it.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Another crazy kid who killed his grandparents first! I don'y thinkI'll be inviting any of mine to stay with me. It's a headline event on "Drudge Report" anyway-all the major networks seem preoccupied with that brain dead woman in Fla.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Shooting at school in

no1important said:
Well its a lot easier to buy a gun in America than it is here. I have 4 and I remember the BS I had to go through.

They must be hand guns you have?

I had no problems getting long guns.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Guns don't kill people,people kill people!Gun control does not work,criminals don't register there weapons.They don't buy them in stores.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"Guns don't kill people,people kill people!"

I know this, but the left in Canada doesn't. They like to ban things and keep lists of ppl with guns instead.

I feel so free!!

I'm sure we need another thread for this though.

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
Maybe they need to ban people, then. Not sure how that would work. Guns make it easier to kill people; as seen, even kids can do it. If these kids had no access to guns, then this mass murder would have been avoided. Simple.
There must be a reason that these things happen in the US more prolifically than anywhere. Could it be that the US has less gun control that anywhere else?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

That would be a reasonable assumption, Henry. There have also been a couple studies showing that US culture is inherently more violent than Europe or Canada, although nobody has figured out why as far as I know. It is especially more prone to serial killings and mass murders in comparison to other deveoped countries.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Well maybe when you start suing the ass off the people that have the guns and put them in jail for allowing access to their weapons things might change. Its only their pocketbooks they listen to. Sorry but thats my opinion, it does not take a whole lot to point a gun and kill something...it might be worth something if the animal was allowed to have a gun to. uh huh...it might be a whole lot different than..just my opinion of course.
I doubt if you will hear much about this either, considering it happened on a reserve, not "hollywood" enough.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"put them in jail for allowing access to their weapons things might change"

Absolutely Pea. You have to be responsible for your weapons.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Shooting at school in Minnesota

Hard-Luck Henry said:
Maybe they need to ban people, then.

Education is the key Henry, not banning things.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
But how do you know education is effective Jay? And how much can you educate a boy who decides one day to kill his grandparents and a couple of classmates? To what extent should this kid have been educated about guns and not have been given a better opportunity in the Native American reservation he was living in? And - more in general - how can you educate about guns those people who are, lets say, screwed up in the head?

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Re: RE: Shooting at school in

Jay said:
no1important said:
Well its a lot easier to buy a gun in America than it is here. I have 4 and I remember the BS I had to go through.

They must be hand guns you have?

I had no problems getting long guns.

No I have long guns. 300 sako, 257 roberts, .22 and a 20 gauge Mossberg. No hand guns.

The point I was trying to make is. In the US some states you can walk in and out with a gun no questions asked. I remember I had to fillout forms and they called references when they changed the FAC about 10 years ago. I even had to write a test. Which was easy. Then the gun shop still had to phine a number to get approval for me to buy a rifle.

I know people kill people, but America has always been a violent culture and they have the right to bear arms, but you have to wonder why violent crime is more prelevent in America compared to the rest of the civilized world.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
The second amendment right to bear arms was written into the constitution, because at the time there was not much of a standing army, and the communities relied upon the local militias to protect them from aggressors (ie. the British)...now that the US has an enormous standing army, there is no need to have that right, and should have been repealed about a hundred years ago...

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

What kind of education were you thinking of in this case, Jay? The kid obviously knew about guns and how to use guns. He knew what guns do. This was not an accident.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Rick van Opbergen said:
But how do you know education is effective Jay? And how much can you educate a boy who decides one day to kill his grandparents and a couple of classmates? To what extent should this kid have been educated about guns and not have been given a better opportunity in the Native American reservation he was living in? And - more in general - how can you educate about guns those people who are, lets say, screwed up in the head?

Reverend Blair said:
What kind of education were you thinking of in this case, Jay? The kid obviously knew about guns and how to use guns. He knew what guns do. This was not an accident.

I guess I should have been clearer. I mean gun owner training/education. I took it, and kids aren’t going to get my guns. I think everyone should take the training; Especially in rural areas, and it should be treated as a safety issue, along with other safety issues and taught in high school.