GUM IS FOOD?

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Well, according to the experts in the European Union,gum is food. They have declared mineral water a food,also. I haven't seen anything this silly since the US declared that catsup was a vegetable. :wink:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
food
n.

1. Material, usually of plant or animal origin, that contains or consists of essential body nutrients, such as carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins, or minerals, and is ingested and assimilated by an organism to produce energy, stimulate growth, and maintain life.
2. A specified kind of nourishment: breakfast food; plant food.
3. Nourishment eaten in solid form: food and drink.
4. Something that nourishes or sustains in a way suggestive of physical nourishment: food for thought; food for the soul.

Maybe it's "food for thought"? I can't think of any nutritional value gum has? Are they planning on enriching it? Maybe gum with vitamin C?

Some gum can be considered as having dental benefits. (Tooth whitening gum) some can even be considered as having medicinal benefits (Alphine throat gum) but food?!? That's stretching it!

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Yeah, but what is it? If you have to put it in one of the current categories, where does it go?

I'm not arguing that it is food, just that it doesn't fit anyplace else either. I think we need a new category.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Where does mouthwash fit into? Could gum go there instead?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I think mouthwash is under Dentafrice (sp?) But only sugarless gum would be considered dental. And the jury's still out on whether apspertame is in fact carcinogenic.

Rev's right. We need a new category. a non-food edible catagory.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
According to the article,"gum should be considereda food even if only a part is actually ingested by the consumer".However,the EU recognizes that in some cases, the characteristics of a given chewing gum impose that it be regulated as medicine" These comments were sent to the Codex Alimentarius Commission,part of the UN and the WHO,that sets food standards. Now for the bad news:halucinogic mushrooms,live animals or an apple growing on a tree supposedly aren't food. Bureaucrats!!

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Rev-the only other food mentioned in this story was veal,and how they spent many weeks deciding on the proper colour and texture of it.

Girl82

Feb 23, 2005
Vancouver Island
You certainly couldn't survive on gum, but it does contain calories that are sustained when chewing it so I guess it could be considered a food. Candy is considered food too. :oops:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
You can survive indefinitely on nothing but beer nd peanuts though, Girl82. That's an important piece of nutritional advice to keep in mind if your are ever trapped in a bar.

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
Chewing gum is illegal in Singapore. Truly; you can get years in prison for "dealing" gum. Just thought I'd share that with you.