Bald Eagles

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
british columbia news
Thursday, Feb 03, 2005

VANCOUVER (CP) - A flash of white feathers lured Julie Bryson-McElwee's dog into the bush. She followed when he didn't come back. A dead bald eagle lay on the forest floor.
Lunging to keep her pet away from the carcass, Bryson-McElwee stumbled on Wednesday across a shallow grave, piled with 14 of the protected species. The legs and tail feathers had been cut off, possibly for sale on the black market.

"It's just sickening," Bryson-McElwee said in a telephone interview on Thursday. "Whoever did this had a real operation going, there were garbage bags all around the grave and in it. It looked to me like they were killed somewhere else and brought here to be buried."

She was so upset by her ugly discovery that she stayed with the birds for hours waiting for police, worried that someone would try to remove the bodies once the story hit the news.

"I was upset, now I'm really angry," she said.

Wildlife officers investigating the killings say they aren't uncommon.

"We have found birds mutilated like this over the years," said Rick Hahn, a senior conservation officer for the Lower Mainland. "We suspect there is a black market trade in the talons. Eagles are traditionally used by First Nations people for cultural ceremonies.

"However, we haven't made that link in this case."

Fines for the crime can range as high as $50,000 for killing an eagle and up to $100,000 for trafficking in a wildlife species.

Thor Froslev, manager of the Brackendale Eagle Reserve where 1,975 eagles were spotted this year in the park's 19th annual bird count, said he's not optimistic anyone will be caught.

"How will they find them?" he asked.

"I'm just sick about it. What sad news, and we've had it before."

Over the years he has, on occasion, found eagles shot dead and similarly excised for parts.

"I understand they are wanted for ornaments and for medicine in native cultures," he said.

Chief Bill Williams of the nearby Squamish First Nation said eagles are revered by natives, who use bird parts from carcasses found by the provincial conservation office.

"We don't go out into the wild and take them ourselves," he said.

When dead birds are passed on to a band they are blessed to release their spirit and prayers are said to apologize on behalf of man for their death.

"Because it flies so high, the eagle is closest to the creator. It brings prayers to the creator," Williams said.

Bev Day, director of OWL, a wildlife rehabilitation society, said she hopes the bodies of the slaughtered eagles found in North Vancouver are given to First Nations people for that treatment.

She recently released four bald eagles in the area the carcasses were found and worries they might be hers.

"With their legs cut off, we couldn't immediately tell if they had been wearing bands," said Day. "I hope investigators are going to comb that area with metal detectors, maybe we can find some identification bands and figure out where they came from."

She said it would be easy for someone to lure eagles this time of year.

"They are normally up in the Squamish area now, eating the spawning salmon but with the rivers so high a lot of the salmon has washed away. If someone had a bunch of fish and put it out I think it would attract them pretty quickly," she said.

About half of the world's 70,000 bald eagles live in Alaska. Combined with British Columbia's population of about 20,000, the northwest coast of North America is by far their greatest stronghold.

They flourish here in part because of the salmon. Dead or dying fish are an important food source for all bald eagles.

Day, who nurses birds of prey that have been poisoned or shot and returns them to the wild, would like to teach the birds killers a lesson.

"I hope the judge gives them to me to do some community service," she said. "I've got some really nasty jobs that need doing, cleaning out the duck pond comes to mind. I'd give them a really small shovel and a small pail."

"Eagles are traditionally used by First Nations people for cultural ceremonies". "However, we haven't made that link in this case."

No I don't suppose they ever will make that link. But there are many that believe there is a link.

I really don't know how any could do this...I do wonder how they were killed, they could have been lured with salmon this time of year, or shot....I know it was something crowardly tho.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
british columbia news
Thursday, Feb 03, 2005

VANCOUVER (CP) - A flash of white feathers lured Julie Bryson-McElwee's dog into the bush. She followed when he didn't come back. A dead bald eagle lay on the forest floor.
Lunging to keep her pet away from the carcass, Bryson-McElwee stumbled on Wednesday across a shallow grave, piled with 14 of the protected species. The legs and tail feathers had been cut off, possibly for sale on the black market.

"It's just sickening," Bryson-McElwee said in a telephone interview on Thursday. "Whoever did this had a real operation going, there were garbage bags all around the grave and in it. It looked to me like they were killed somewhere else and brought here to be buried."

She was so upset by her ugly discovery that she stayed with the birds for hours waiting for police, worried that someone would try to remove the bodies once the story hit the news.

"We have found birds mutilated like this over the years," said Rick Hahn, a senior conservation officer for the Lower Mainland. "We suspect there is a black market trade in the talons. Eagles are traditionally used by First Nations people for cultural ceremonies.

Fines for the crime can range as high as $50,000 for killing an eagle and up to $100,000 for trafficking in a wildlife species.

Thor Froslev, manager of the Brackendale Eagle Reserve where 1,975 eagles were spotted this year in the park's 19th annual bird count, said he's not optimistic anyone will be caught.

Over the years he has, on occasion, found eagles shot dead and similarly excised for parts.

"I understand they are wanted for ornaments and for medicine in native cultures," he said.

Chief Bill Williams of the nearby Squamish First Nation said eagles are revered by natives, who use bird parts from carcasses found by the provincial conservation office.

When dead birds are passed on to a band they are blessed to release their spirit and prayers are said to apologize on behalf of man for their death.

"Because it flies so high, the eagle is closest to the creator. It brings prayers to the creator," Williams said.

Bev Day, director of OWL, a wildlife rehabilitation society, said she hopes the bodies of the slaughtered eagles found in North Vancouver are given to First Nations people for that treatment.

She recently released four bald eagles in the area the carcasses were found and worries they might be hers.

"With their legs cut off, we couldn't immediately tell if they had been wearing bands," said Day. "I hope investigators are going to comb that area with metal detectors, maybe we can find some identification bands and figure out where they came from."

"They are normally up in the Squamish area now, eating the spawning salmon but with the rivers so high a lot of the salmon has washed away. If someone had a bunch of fish and put it out I think it would attract them pretty quickly," she said.

About half of the world's 70,000 bald eagles live in Alaska. Combined with British Columbia's population of about 20,000, the northwest coast of North America is by far their greatest stronghold.

They flourish here in part because of the salmon. Dead or dying fish are an important food source for all bald eagles.

Day, who nurses birds of prey that have been poisoned or shot and returns them to the wild, would like to teach the birds killers a lesson.

"I hope the judge gives them to me to do some community service," she said. "I've got some really nasty jobs that need doing, cleaning out the duck pond comes to mind. I'd give them a really small shovel and a small pail."

"Eagles are traditionally used by First Nations people for cultural ceremonies". "However, we haven't made that link in this case."

No I don't suppose they ever will make that link. But there are many that believe there is a link.

I really don't know how any could do this...I do wonder how they were killed, they could have been lured with salmon this time of year, or shot....I know it was something crowardly tho.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
british columbia news
Thursday, Feb 03, 2005

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Here is the latest story...

More bald eagles found slaughtered in B.C.
Canadian Press March 18, 2005

SURREY, B.C. — Another eight bald eagles have been found slaughtered in North Vancouver.

This brings the number of birds found dead in recent weeks to at least 50.

"Eight skulls and six wings were uncovered in an advanced state of decomposition,'' The Ministry of Water, Land and Air Protection said in a news release.

It's believed that feathers and talons from the birds are being sold on the black market.

Conservation officers found the remains of the latest birds five kilometres west of where some of the other birds were found.

A reward of $10,000 is being offered in the case, with the money coming from the provincial government, the District of North Vancouver, the Tsleil-Waututh First Nation and the Humane Society.

The B.C. Wildlife Rederation also offers a standing reward of up to $2,000 for information leading to the conviction of those found responsible for breaking wildlife laws.

The B.C. Conservation Service has also set up a task force of officers to investigate and has asked for help from the RCMP.

Perpetrators of the crime could face poaching penalties and illegal exporting fines as high as $150,000 and up to five years in jail.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
True but if you live in british columbia and especally on vancouver island, well ehm...there are many natives that you can get to know personally, and lets just say alot of them are not into their culture as one would think. But like you say..there are bad apples in every thing. :wink: I am just happy that this group will be stopped. I am sure another will take its place.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Funny but I was sure it wouldn't be natives.....

I guess I was wrong....crap! I hate being wrong.....

Wonder if we'll hear the name of who?

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
I think you will soon, its been all over the news. Its black market dealing, in canada mostly to artists. There should be alot more on the news tonight. I am just glad this ring is finished.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Funny but I was sure it wouldn't be natives

Ironically I origionally thought it may have some native influence, Tail feathers and feet are a dead giveaway. They are after all symobolically important.

Now that they're caught though they're going to have an even tougher time within their community. There's nothing worse than the scorn and disapproval of the elders

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Ironically I origionally thought it may have some native influence, Tail feathers and feet are a dead giveaway. They are after all symobolically important.

Now that they're caught though they're going to have an even tougher time within their community. There's nothing worse than the scorn and disapproval of the elders

this is why I thought it wouldn't be them. I thought that the product would be on it's way to Japan actually.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Actually I wasn't thinking they would eat those parts. Some of their population have an absolute fascination with native art and native culture.

Eat anything that moves.......that made me laugh. My fiance is the same.... he'll eat anything.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
he'll eat anything.

That's funny, but true. Being raised around natives doesn't make me picky or wasteful with food.

I had to cull some squirrles getting into our roof, and my 4 yr old was watching me. So he was wondering what I should do with the bodies? Well I thought about it, asked him what he thinks we should do? "We should make soup"

so we did.

tastes alot like rabbit you know.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
I always not it was native..not because I know anything more, its just there is a group within the native people that do not hold the same reverance for nature that the elders do. Anyway right now they are not saying to much, just that they have a suspect and he is native.