Hey Rev - you old nail-pounder...

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
You might be interested in this:

"Sunday, January 16, 2005 Posted: 7:16 PM EST (0016 GMT)

LITTLETON, Colorado (AP) -- A dentist found the source of the toothache Patrick Lawler was complaining about on the roof of his mouth -- a four-inch (10-centimeter) nail the construction worker had unknowingly embedded in his skull six days earlier.

A nail gun backfired on Lawler, 23, on January 6 while working in Breckenridge, a ski resort town in the central Colorado mountains. The tool sent a nail into a piece of wood nearby, but Lawler didn't realize a second nail had shot through his mouth, said his sister, Lisa Metcalse.

Following the accident, Lawler had what he thought was a minor toothache and blurry vision. On Wednesday, after painkillers and ice didn't ease the pain, he went to a dental office where his wife, Katerina, works.

"We all are friends, so I thought the (dentists) were joking ... then the doctor came out and said 'There's really a nail,"' Katerina Lawler said. "Patrick just broke down. I mean, he had been eating ice cream to help the swelling."

He was taken to a suburban Denver hospital, where he underwent a four-hour surgery. The nail had plunged 1 1/2 inches (4 centimeters) into his brain, barely missing his right eye, Metcalse said.

EEEEWW!

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC

LITTLETON, Colorado (AP) -- A dentist found the source of the toothache Patrick Lawler was complaining about on the roof of his mouth -- a four-inch (10-centimeter) nail the construction worker had unknowingly embedded in his skull six days earlier.

A nail gun backfired on Lawler, 23, on January 6 while working in Breckenridge, a ski resort town in the central Colorado mountains. The tool sent a nail into a piece of wood nearby, but Lawler didn't realize a second nail had shot through his mouth, said his sister, Lisa Metcalse.

Following the accident, Lawler had what he thought was a minor toothache and blurry vision. On Wednesday, after painkillers and ice didn't ease the pain, he went to a dental office where his wife, Katerina, works.

"We all are friends, so I thought the (dentists) were joking ... then the doctor came out and said 'There's really a nail,"' Katerina Lawler said. "Patrick just broke down. I mean, he had been eating ice cream to help the swelling."

He was taken to a suburban Denver hospital, where he underwent a four-hour surgery. The nail had plunged 1 1/2 inches (4 centimeters) into his brain, barely missing his right eye, Metcalse said.

EEEEWW!

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC

EEEEWW!

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Is it even possible to not know a nail was forceably embededded in you?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Hey Rev - you old nai

Yes, Twila it is. I've seen a couple guys shoot themselves with nail guns. The pain takes a bit to set in, so it's possible that if you thought it was something else, you wouldn't realise.

I wonder how much glue got left in this guy's head though. The nails are glued together. The glue melts and kind of globs up with the friction. Also, from the description I'll bet that he was using a nail gun just like mine. They tend to double shoot a lot.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Yes, Twila it is. I've seen a couple guys shoot themselves with nail guns. The pain takes a bit to set in, so it's possible that if you thought it was something else, you wouldn't realise.

I wonder how much glue got left in this guy's head though. The nails are glued together. The glue melts and kind of globs up with the friction. Also, from the description I'll bet that he was using a nail gun just like mine. They tend to double shoot a lot.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
A couple of interesting side-notes, from a CBC Newsworld report on this item:

- The guy now faces over $80,000 in medical bills, because he had no insurance.

- This is the second case, in the same hospital, of surgeons removing a nail from someones head, who didn't know it was there!

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC

- This is the second case, in the same hospital, of surgeons removing a nail from someones head, who didn't know it was there!

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC