Canada's poor response to the Tsunami Crisis.

Chewy

Nominee Member
Jul 14, 2004
I am very disappointed with Canada's response to the nations of need. Frankly I'm ashamed.
I'm encouraging those in Canada to contact their MP and encourage more support for these nations. I'm also starting an email campaign to contact my MP the Official Opposition Foreign Affairs Critic.

http://www.stockwellday.com/contact.htm
Thos of from outside Canada please contact him as well and voice your opinion on this matter. Many thanks Chewy.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
We just gave another 40 million on top of the 4 million already given. That is quite a bit for a small country. Basically just over a million donated per person. The rest of the world is contributing so I hope at the end of the day the money goes where it is needed and they have enough of it.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Chewy said:
I am very disappointed with Canada's response to the nations of need. Frankly I'm ashamed.
I'm encouraging those in Canada to contact their MP and encourage more support for these nations.

I would encourage those in Canada to march down to their nearest Red Cross office and just give support. My wife is volunteering at our local office today and she just told me the response has been overwhelming.

I agree with no1important, for our size it seems to me our support has been something to be proud of. Too bad we can't really afford a million per person though 8)

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
Not meaning to be critical, but Canada's Federal government has pledged $40 million (CDN - about $34 Million US) to help. The United States has pledged $35 Million (USD).

We are, by population (ergo taxpayer), about 1/10th the size of the United States.

SPAIN - with a population of 40 million (1/7th of the USA) has pledged 68 Million (assume thats USD).

???????

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Well the US needs the money to fight in Iraq I guess. But we (Canada) are donating about 8-9 as much as America per capita. Still though whether it is 40 million from us or 35 million from America in this day and age that is not a lot of money here in North America but it is there. If that makes any sense or not.

But they also need Doctors, morticians, labourer's, people to distribute food and supplies. A lot of work needs to be done there.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Canada's poor respons

Our response to this has still sucked, Ten Packs. "Well we don't know if we should send the DART that we put together JUST FOR DISASTERS LIKE THIS because we'll have to buy them all plane tickets and who needs pure water anyway...it was water that just killed all those people after all so they should be able to just drink out of the puddles or something."

Not to mention that we originally ponied up a whole $4 million. That's not even a decent lottery win, anymore. The other $36 million came through today because some honchos managed to tear themselves away from their vacations long enough to make a couple of calls.

I hope to hell Paul Martin can sleep at night. No I don't. I hope he stays awake all night too. I hope he's sitting over there listening to Margo Timmins and watching "Morrocan Learning Television" or whatever their version of late-night hell is in that part of the world and wondering if he should just give up and put the coffee on.

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
I wont argue with what you say Rev - but it only took a day or so to get the Ottawa clowns to shake their heads and say; "Oh - wait a sec - thats not what I meant!"

So how is Bush doing?..... "Well, I got a lotta weeds to pull on the Ranch here - can I get back to ya?"

But you're right - my wife and I watched the CTV News last bight - and said to each other: "If D.A.R.T. ain't for THIS - what the Hell IS it for???"

no argument.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

The thing is that I don't really expect anything from George Bush, Ten Packs. He didn't decide to bomb the survivors and, for him, that's a step up.

Paul Martin has been romping all over the globe to show what a dandy human being he is and when his chance comes to really step up to the plate the best he can manage is, "Here's a few bucks...call us if you need a drink."

I expect a little more than that from my country.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
Now I'm not defending the government's decision not to send DART...I think this warrants DART deployment just as much as the next guy...

However, the situation as I understand it is that DART is meant to be deployed in a small area, meaning that if it was just one city affected, then they would be the people to help...but because of the enormity of this disaster, deploying DART in just one area and not others would piss off the countries that didn't get such specialized help...in other words, the government is trying not to hurt any feelings...as stupid a reason as I've ever heard, but that's the impression I get...

They have sent water purification kits though...so I guess that's something...

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

They have a state of the art reverese osmosis system. They sent some purification tablets.

The purified water can be bagged or bottled for transport. Medical personnel can travel to the wounded or the wounded can come to them.

DART can base themselves where they are most needed and they can move from there...they are supposed to be mobile, that's kind of the point of their existence.

Chewy

Nominee Member
Jul 14, 2004
Re: RE: Canada's poor respons

Reverend Blair said:
They have a state of the art reverese osmosis system. They sent some purification tablets.

The purified water can be bagged or bottled for transport. Medical personnel can travel to the wounded or the wounded can come to them.

DART can base themselves where they are most needed and they can move from there...they are supposed to be mobile, that's kind of the point of their existence.

DART was designed for this type of scenario. There is about 200 Military personnel from everything from Medics to security to engineers. The point is they should have been deployed by now. Canada should have also offered our C-130’s to assist in air transport.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
Re: RE: Canada's poor respons

Chewy said:
DART was designed for this type of scenario. There is about 200 Military personnel from everything from Medics to security to engineers. The point is they should have been deployed by now. Canada should have also offered our C-130’s to assist in air transport.

Yes that is their mission...but not on such a massive scale...can they be effectively deployed to all 11 countries that have been affected by this disaster?

If not, how will the country or countries of their deployment be chosen? By the number of dead so far?

I agree, they should have deployed some of the Reverse Osmosis Water Purification Systems...but I did read somewhere that Canada does not have enough C130s able to transport DART at this time...

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
It doesn't appear as though their own countrymen were helping much.

Swedish paper reports tsunami warning halted out of concern for tourist industry
December 28, 2004

Tsunami warning halted ‘for tourist industry’

This from the Swedish paper Expressen.
http://www.expressen.se/expressen/jsp/polopoly.jsp?a=223277

Just minutes after the earthquake in the Indian Ocean on Sunday morning, Thailand’s foremost meteorological experts were sitting together in a crisis meeting. But they decided not to warn about the tsunami “out of courtesy to the tourist industry,” writes the Thailand daily newspaper The Nation.

The experts got the news around 8:00 am on Sunday morning local time. An hour later, the first massive wave struck. But the experts started to discuss the economic impacts when they discussed if a tsunami warning should be issued.

The primary argument against such a warning was that there had not been any floods in 300 years. Also, the experts believed the Indonesian island Sumatra would be a “cushion” for the southern coast of Thailand. The experts also had bad information; they thought the tremor was 8.1. A similar earthquake occurred in the same area in 2002 with no flooding at all.

One expert The Nation spoke with also noted that the department had only four earthquake experts among their
900-strong meteorological department. A second told The Nation that a tsunami warning was discussed but that because of the risk, they opted not to issue a warning.

“We finally decided not to do anything because the tourist season was in full swing,” the source said. “The hotels were 100 percent booked. What if we issued a warning, which would have led to an evacuation, and nothing had happened. What would be the outcome? The tourist industry would be immediately hurt. Our department would not be able to endure a lawsuit.”

This story was first noted and originally translated at Democratic Underground.
http://www.democraticunderground.com

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article7569.htm

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
They had a canadian survivor on the radio yesterday, I think she was from British Columbia. She was very upset about the canadian government handled the tsunami crisis. She herself lost everything which included all her documention and funds. The canadian officials there told her they would not give her a new passport without payment for it 8O. How was she suppose to do that when she lost everything! The government has back tracked now saying that in such a disaster the fee is waived. What kind of people work in these places?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

That woman who was kidnapped in Iraq had the same problem getting an emergency passport. I know that it didn't used to be a problem because I know somebody who got robbed in England a few years ago and they replaced her passport for free.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

I don't think it's our civil service so much as the new rules that have been sent down from our government, missile.