Belgian Director Receives Threats Because Of Muslim Employee

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
Belgian director again threatened because of muslimwoman

BRUSSELS - The employer of a muslimwoman in the Belgian town of Ledegem again received threats yesterday, in which is said there is a price on his head of 250,000 euros if he does not fire his employee. Employer Remmery, owner of a wholesale business in fish, announced that yesterday in a conversation with the Flemish public radiostation VRT. Remmery says he will not go into the threats. The District Attorney of the West-Flemish town of Kortrijk has already put more people on the case. This is already the fourth threat towards Remmery, who had already received anonymous threats to oblige the muslimwoman not to wear her headscarve any longer. Out of her own free will the woman had already decided to put off her headscarve. The autors of the threatening letters now demanded the employer to fire the woman. “They accuse me of collaborating with the Islam” according to Remmery. “I’m not planning to concede with these threats. This is just unacceptable.” The threatening letters have been signed by the call New Free Flanders. The magazine Vrij Vlaanderen (Free Flanders) is a publication of the youth department of the Vlaams Belang (Flemish Interest), the successor to the extreme-right party Vlaams Blok (Flemish Bloc). The party has already announced they have nothing to do with the threatening letters.

The employee, 31-year old Naïma Amzil, has already handed in her resignation. The Belgian woman of Moroccan origin says she can no longer endure the tensions that come with the threats. Her employer has refused her resignation. “If I fire her now, she will never ever find work again. Nobody would want to hire her, because they fear they will receive death threats as well” according to Remmery, who is satisfied with the quality of the work the woman does. “Naïma has a family, a mortgage that has to be paid. I just can’t fire her. I won’t give her up” according to the West-Flemish owner of a wholesale business in fish. In the last letter he received, he is called a ‘bad Fleming’. “You collaborate with the muslims. We want to make an example for other companies. You have signed your death-warrant” according to the autors.

The Flemish employers’ organisation Unizo meanwhile has already started with a sympathy action for the company of Remmery on the Internet. Unizo calls the Remmery firm an example of how employers and employees in a lot of small businesses treat each other. Besides that, Unizo praises the employee Naïma for her commitment to the company.

source: Eindhovens Dagblad (Eindhoven Daily)

Apologies for any possible spelling errors, I translated it myself.

ddobney

Dec 24, 2004
RE: Belgian Director Receives Threats Because Of Muslim Empl

Odd story. Whenever something bad happens, someone spins it as a knock against the "right".
I always find the phrase the "extreme right" to be a tip off. And humorous.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada

Her employer is a real man with a character. More people should stand their ground against these hatred-filled rednecks. I am glad he did not accept her resignation. Whoever, I do fear for his life if they really mean to hurt him.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
Re: RE: Belgian Director Receives Threats Because Of Muslim

moghrabi said:
Her employer is a real man with a character. More people should stand their ground against these hatred-filled rednecks. I am glad he did not accept her resignation. Whoever, I do fear for his life if they really mean to hurt him.

I agree, and we should keep our noses to the wind on this one...should this Remmery fall to foul play, we must tell this story, and tell it often...it is already an inspiring yarn to spin...

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Re: Belgian Director Receives Threats Because Of Muslim Empl

This past the redneck stage, these guys are hanging out with the
skinheads of the Northwest! Hell, this wasn't even in the US!

I grew up around rednecks, Martin. They know no nationality or even creed...they just hate. There will be a small core, and a lot of hangers on who will deny involvment in polite society. Get 'em half-cut in a bar room with an other-skinned waitress and the truth comes out though.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.

You all know the Klan was created on Christmas Eve in 1865 by rednecks for rednecks. I guess they really want their "white' Christmas.