U.S. Suffers Major Iraq Attack, 22 Killed

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
MOSUL, Iraq (Reuters) - A guerrilla attack on a tented dining hall at a U.S. base in Iraq killed 15 U.S. soldiers and seven other people in one of the deadliest strikes on U.S. forces since last year's war to oust Saddam Hussein.

U.S. officials initially said a number of rocket and mortar rounds were fired at the base in the northern city of Mosul on Tuesday, but a militant group claimed a suicide bomber was behind the attack, in which 66 people were wounded.

"A suicide bomber has not been ruled out," a U.S. Army official said later in Washington.

Giving the latest casualty update, a U.S. military spokesman in Baghdad said 15 U.S. soldiers, five U.S. civilians and contractors and two Iraqi security force members were killed. Forty-two of the wounded were U.S. military personnel, he said.

http://reuters.myway.com//article/2...649Z_01_MAC173663_RTRIDST_0_NEWS-IRAQ-DC.html

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: U.S. Suffers Major Ir

This is going to rally a lot of people to the insurgents, I think. Most of the strikes lately have been against other Iraqis, which is bound to make some back away from the insurgency. No such ambiguity here though.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Most people in the Sunni triangle think that any Iraqi working with the Americans is a traitor. So killing them really did not affect the insurgency in the Triangle. But this one was on target and will rally more insurgents as you said.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Re: RE: U.S. Suffers Major Iraq Attack, 22 Killed

Rick van Opbergen said:
I feel for the 22 families who will have a funeral in the near future.

I am not trying to sound insensitive. But the soldiers and their families knew of the dangers, lies, illegality of this war. Now they will have to come to terms with the result.

I actually fear sorry for the 100,000 defenseless people who died for no reason.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
moghrabi, unlike you, I was not trying to make a political statement. A loss is a loss, no matter what the circumstances were. And it makes me angry thinking about the fact that these lives could have been saved if Bush had never started this war.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario

moghrabi said:
Rick van Opbergen said:

I am not trying to sound insensitive. But the soldiers and their families knew of the dangers, lies, illegality of this war. Now they will have to come to terms with the result.

I actually fear sorry for the 100,000 defenseless people who died for no reason.

You did not suceed, you do sound insensitive. These soldiers are ordered to go to Iraq and fight, the decision was not theirs, it was their government's. To die whilst eating a meal is terrible for a soldier, it was a cowardly attack.

What of the defenseless people in New York in 2001? Perhaps the war is misguided, however Sadam was no saint, the Iraqi people suffered immensely under his regime.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
I totally agree. I was not making a political statement. A lose of life is always a lose. However, when you go to war you should expect to die. The funny thing here is we always feel sorry about something when american soldiers start falling. I wish I heard that from you or from any American when it was announced that 100,000 civilian died for no reason.

I am not blaming you for feeling sorry but I think you got the drift of what I am saying.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada

DasFX said:
moghrabi said:
Rick van Opbergen said:

You did not suceed, you do sound insensitive. These soldiers are ordered to go to Iraq and fight, the decision was not theirs, it was their government's. To die whilst eating a meal is terrible for a soldier, it was a cowardly attack.

What of the defenseless people in New York in 2001? Perhaps the war is misguided, however Sadam was no saint, the Iraqi people suffered immensely under his regime.

If my statement came too strong, I am sorry. I also feel with the people who died on Sept 11 and all the people who died in this illegal war.

why would you call this attack cowardly and an attack with fancy planes and rockets to be justified. Aren't the people of iraq who died were eating dinner when they died?

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
moghrabi, I understand that you can have the feeling of dubble standards by some (no, I don't mean DasFX, just to make that clear), that they are forgetting all those Iraqi lives which were lost so far. I agree. But I also agree with DasFX when (s)he says that it was not their decision, but the government's, to go to Iraq. I think you won't find many soldiers saying "oh jolly, what a nice thing we are going to Iraq, I'm looking forward to get killed" (sarcasm present).

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
I appreciate all the input. It is all positive. All I am trying to say is why to we start feeling sad when people of an invading army die and we don't feel as sad when we see reports of 1000's of people dying. Are the US soldiers more humans than the other people.

I hope you inderstand what I am getting at. I am not saying I don't feel sad for the lose of these soldiers, but why do we always have to feel the lose when it happens to the "white man".

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
True and this is exactly what I said in my previous post DasFX. All of this is a tragedy. And the biggest tragedy of all is having Bush in the White ouse for 4 more years.

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario

moghrabi said:
True and this is exactly what I said in my previous post DasFX. All of this is a tragedy. And the biggest tragedy of all is having Bush in the White ouse for 4 more years.

I do not agree with Pres. Bush’s policies, however the man was fairly elected according to the electoral laws of the United States. In a democracy, whether or not the result is liked or disliked is irrelevant.

The tragedies in Iraq may have been instigated by the US, but the Iraqis are certainly perpetuating it.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
I Totally disagree.

1) Bush stole the election in 2000
2) He lied to the American people about Iraq WMD
3) He lied to the American People about Iraq's relationship with Al-Qaeda.
4) He invaded a country illegally against the will of the international community and the United nation.
5) The Iraqis have the right to use any means to defend their occupied land.

Now, tell me how is Iraq perpetuating the war. Do you expect them to sit duck?

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
It makes me sick that while bush sits and eats his turkey dinner, boys and girls are losing their lives to his "oily" ideas. You won't see him or his cronies or their childern stepping up to the plate and offering up their lives for "freedom". That is something only a real leader would do.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
See the US government is confusing things. Saddam had nothing to do with 9/11. 9/11 was a horrible day and I think one of the reasons he invaded Iraq was to draw attention away from not being able to find Osama and how Afghanastan is basically a lawless free for all society. (They should of learned from Russians Afghanastan was not going to be easy either.)

At the time America was still wound up about terrorism and in Bush's mind it was a excuse he neeeded to invade Iraq. As far as I am concerned Saudi Arabia is much more of a terror threat than Iraq was or ever would be.

Iraq has had a lot of needless death on all sides and it will continue and probably get worse. Especially since "insurgants" know if they are caught there is a good chance they will be abused by American soldiers, so to them fighting to death is the only answer.

America should never of gone into Iraq anyways. Why couldn't they have just Blown up or shot Saddam and his "cabinet"? or force an over throw?

So sad how many innocent people dying needlessly.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario

moghrabi said:
I wish I heard that from you or from any American when it was announced that 100,000 civilian died for no reason.

:?: :?: :?:

I hear it all the time. Other than the specific 100,000 civilians part. I get quite the opposite message you seem to be getting in the media at large. It seems Americans deserve to die, they asked for it, and all Iraqi's are civilians.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada

Just the Facts said:
moghrabi said:
I wish I heard that from you or from any American when it was announced that 100,000 civilian died for no reason.

:?: :?: :?:

I hear it all the time. Other than the specific 100,000 civilians part. I get quite the opposite message you seem to be getting in the media at large. It seems Americans deserve to die, they asked for it, and all Iraqi's are civilians.

Where in hell did I say that? Both are people and do not deserve to die. Do not twist my words for your own agenda. Read carefully what I am writing then give your opinion. If you don't have an opinion, keep quiet.