More b.s. from French-Canada......

jamie

Electoral Member
Oct 22, 2004
the wang
News:

QUEBEC CITY - Quebec's premier may unleash the language police to crack down on the growing use of English in workplaces around the province.

A report released on Monday found English continues to gain ground in the province. Premier Jean Charest says he favours doing whatever needs to be done to promote the French language and culture.

That could include asking Quebec's language watchdog to tighten up enforcement of the rules, he said.

Under Bill 101, the controversial language law passed in the 1970s, the Office de la Langue Française, can order businesses with more than 50 employees to translate all internal correspondence into French.

"The English language has become very much – throughout the world – the language of business," Charest said.

"So the constant pressure will be there."

The report, released on Monday by the language watchdog, says the French language is in a "precarious" state in Quebec as English usage continues to expand.

It says efforts to require businesses to comply with language laws aren't halting the trend.

The report also finds that although immigrants are still more likely to learn French, English is the language of choice for more than half of all new arrivals to the province.

These people are insane, for real.

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
I think that 99% of Canadians will never visit the province of Quebec, ..... so why are people always complaining about language hassels in Quebec?

Here, in Ontario, the language is English, and yet no one seems to quite understand our politicians or government.

It is not language laws that bother me, but rather the new security laws that are being enacted by our government.

Calm

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
25% of Canadians live in Quebec... so there's no way 99% of Canadians will never visit. A lot of my friends have been to and love Montreal.

LadyC

Time Out
Sep 3, 2004
the left coast
Re: RE: More b.s. from French-Canada......

gerryh said:
you want to elaborate? How are these people "insane"?

"The English language has become very much – throughout the world – the language of business," Charest said.

If it's the language of business, wouldn't it make sense to learn it? Remember all those courses people took before doing business in the East to avoid insulting their hosts? Seems the same to me. If you want to do business with someone, you need to learn their ways, not force them to adapt to yours.

sj007

Council Member
Nov 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
www.canadiancontent.net
well i live in canada and quebec so before labeling us insane plz notice that this is a political issue that is very debted in quebec u cant just say that ppl are nice or insne from one article or one sorce im english btw

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: More b.s. from French

That's true, especially people from the west, who tend to make the most out of these things. Those that do go there go to Montreal and get mad when some people don't speak English. Try getting served in French in Saskatchewan or Alberta...good luck.

jamie

Electoral Member
Oct 22, 2004
the wang
It was from CBC. Also, in the US, the language is obviously English, but others who don't read/speak the language so well, are for the most part accomodated.
It IS insane to police the French language like they are...
What do they do, fine or jail someone for not speaking their language all the friggin time?

yeah, that is the definition of insanity.

sj007

Council Member
Nov 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
www.canadiancontent.net
now l'office de la langue francaise is a government orginisation its NOT a police force it just regulates the usage of french u get at most a fine how big depends on the enfraction.
it quebec its not a big deal for me cuz i live here so i donno y u make such a big deal out of it?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Also, in the US, the language is obviously English, but others who don't read/speak the language so well, are for the most part accomodated.

I dunno...I know a truck driver who says the language in California and Texas is Spanish, not English. He tried speaking Ukranian to them once and they were...less than accomodating. :D

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
Charest is one slow politician. English has been the international language of business for many years, where has he been?

Mediana

Nominee Member
Oct 15, 2004
La Belle Province
RE: More b.s. from French

For those of you who are clueless about Quebec, there are a few facts you ought to be aware of, namely:
1) French language and culture is what you find in France. The gibberish spoken in Quebec is an archaic dialect which is incomprehensible to the rest of the world's francophone community and stands as an affront to all decent speakers of French everywhere.
2) L'office de la langue francaise is a fascist branch of the Quebec provincial government that functions as a language police capable of exacting fines for the crime of communicating in English.

double 2

Nov 14, 2004
north of Edmonton
Re: RE: More b.s. from French

Reverend Blair said:
That's true, especially people from the west, who tend to make the most out of these things. Those that do go there go to Montreal and get mad when some people don't speak English. Try getting served in French in Saskatchewan or Alberta...good luck.
Actually Rev there is a town in Alberta in the Peace River country that speaks predominatly french or at least it was back in the early 70s when I was working up there . The town is called Falher . But you are right those
places are few and far between .

double 2

Nov 14, 2004
north of Edmonton
Re: RE: More b.s. from French

Mediana said:
2) L'office de la langue francaise is a fascist branch of the Quebec provincial government that functions as a language police capable of exacting fines for the crime of communicating in English.
Now you are scaring me I want to visit Quebec city some day . What am reading from you is that if i get caught speaking english I can get fined ? Or is iit just in the work place.