Ground Zero Suicide Driven by Election

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Nov 7, 12:46 PM (ET)

NEW YORK (AP) - A 25-year-old man from Georgia who was apparently distraught over President Bush's re-election shot and killed himself at ground zero. Andrew Veal's body was found Saturday morning inside the off-limits site, said Steve Coleman, a spokesman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. A shotgun was found nearby, but no suicide note was found, Coleman said.

Veal's mother said her son was upset about the result of the presidential election and had driven to New York, Gus Danese, president of the Port Authority Police Benevolent Association, told The New York Times in Sunday's editions.

Friends said Veal worked in a computer lab at the University of Georgia and was planning to marry.

"I'm absolutely sure it's a protest," Mary Anne Mauney, Veal's supervisor at the lab, told The Daily News. "I don't know what made him commit suicide, but where he did it was symbolic."

Police were investigating how Veal entered the former World Trade Center site, which is protected by high fences and owned by the Port Authority.

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20041107/D8675V2G0.html

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
I only asked you the question of who to blame. Thank you for your answer. I did not blame Bush directly but because of his re-election.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
I am not blaming his re-election. I was saying that due to his re-election, this man took his own life. The two are linked. If Bush was not re-elected, this man would've been alive today. Don't you agree?

LadyC

Time Out
Sep 3, 2004
the left coast
Re: RE: Ground Zero Suicide Driven by Election

moghrabi said:
I am not blaming his re-election. I was saying that due to his re-election, this man took his own life. The two are linked. If Bush was not re-elected, this man would've been alive today. Don't you agree?
I don't agree.
I think this guy was headed to suicide regardless. If it wasn't Bush's re-election it would have been some other reason.

The two events are linked, sure - in the guy's head. 2 guy's from my grad class shot themselves because their girlfriends dumped them. Do we blame the girls? Or do we assume there were some other pretty big issues going on in these young mens' lives?

I don't much like Bush either, but you can't pin this one on him. Not everything is his fault.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Ground Zero Suicide D

Killing yourself because of Bush is a sign of other problems all right. If he wanted to oppose Bush, there are many constructive things he could have done.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Re: RE: Ground Zero Suicide Driven by Election

LadyC said:
moghrabi said:
I don't agree.
I think this guy was headed to suicide regardless. If it wasn't Bush's re-election it would have been some other reason.

The two events are linked, sure - in the guy's head. 2 guy's from my grad class shot themselves because their girlfriends dumped them. Do we blame the girls? Or do we assume there were some other pretty big issues going on in these young mens' lives?

I don't much like Bush either, but you can't pin this one on him. Not everything is his fault.

The article states that he was distraught about Bush's re-election. I am not aware of any other psychological problems he might have, but taken what was said in the article, the two are related. We don't have to agree and I am not blaming Bush for his death, but maybe I am being too analytical.