Arafat In French Hospital

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
It surprised me nobody made notice of this topic.

Arafat doesn't have leukemia: envoy
Last Updated Sat, 30 Oct 2004 16:29:37 EDT

CLAMART, FRANCE - Initial results of tests conducted on Yasser Arafat show he doesn't have leukemia as some of his officials had feared, the Palestinian envoy to France said Saturday. Doctors examining the Palestinian leader in France have excluded "for the time being any possibility" he has the blood cancer, Leila Shahid told reporters. The doctors still don't know, however, what is making him sick.

Palestinian spokesperson Leila Shahid

Arafat was admitted to a hospital southwest of Paris on Friday, two days after he collapsed at his West Bank compound and briefly lost consciousness. Shahid told reporters Arafat's condition has improved since he arrived at the Percy Army Teaching Hospital in Clamart. "He had a very good night's sleep and he woke up in a good mood and in good shape, and he feels generally better. His general condition is better."

The 75-year-old leader reportedly has a low platelet count, which prevents blood clotting and can indicate a range of illnesses, including cancer. Arafat received a transfusion of platelets after being rushed to the hospital, which specializes in blood disorders and trauma care. Appearing pale and weak, Arafat boarded a military jet and flew to Jordan early Friday morning, leaving the West Bank for the first time in more than two years. He later landed at Villacoublay military airfield, then boarded a helicopter for a 15-minute flight to the hospital.

Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat blows kisses as he is helped out of a helicopter in Amman, Jordan Friday.

The decision to move Arafat came on Thursday after Israeli officials assured him they would not place restrictions on his travel. In past years, Israel had warned he wouldn't be allowed to return to the Palestinian territories if he left. Aides initially reported Arafat was suffering from gallstones or a bad case of the flu. He's also shown symptoms of Parkinson's disease since the early 1990s. Israeli officials believe he may have stomach cancer.

The longtime leader has not groomed a successor despite heavy lobbying in recent years. If he is incapacitated, many analysts expect chaos to reign while rivals jockey for his job. The executive committee of the Palestine Liberation Organization held its first meeting without Arafat on Saturday. Arafat's chair at the head of the table was left empty. On one side was Prime Minister Ahmed Qureia – on the other, former Palestinian prime minister Mahmoud Abbas, also known as Abu Mazen. Abbas, who led the meeting, is expected to temporarily take over as PLO chair. Abbas wished Arafat a speedy recovery and said the Palestinian people still need him.
Source: www.cbc.ca

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
An interesting personal story by Jim Reed on Yasser Arafat.

The rise and fall of Yasser Arafat
CBC News Viewpoint | October 29, 2004

I met Yasser Arafat during the first week of January 1969. He was 39 years old. Our first meeting was in the early hours of a cold damp morning, at his then headquarters in Amman, Jordan. We were a green Canadian television crew from CBC. We had made our first trip to the Middle East to produce a documentary on the Palestinians, and there wasn't a lot to go on.

Yasser Arafat salutes while attending the Palestinian Islamic Christians Conference at his compound in Ramallah, Tues., Aug. 10, 2004. (AP Photo/Muhammed Muheisen)

Nobody really knew much about Palestinians or the man destined to become their principal leader. Israeli Prime Minister Golda Meir had already asserted that there was no such thing as a "Palestinian," and in a way she was right, at least as far as the world was concerned.

Until the Six-Day War, Arafat was a nobody, and Palestinian Arab nationalism was in its infancy. Political Islam as we know it today, was virtually non-existent. It was the war, and the tough Israeli military occupation of the West Bank and Gaza, that gradually gave rise to what would become a Palestinian identity, although it would never become a fully and truly national one.

Arafat himself was a civil engineer, with little military background apart from a year or so of service in the Egyptian army. He had taken his engineering degree at the University of Cairo, and it was there that he gained a reputation among Palestinian students as a wily politician.

After graduating, he set up a construction consulting company in Kuwait and cashed in on the oil boom of the 1950s and '60s. It was in Kuwait that al-Fatah was formed and that Arafat made his decision to one day become the Palestinian leader, a goal he reached in 1969, when he took over the leadership of the Palestine Liberation Organization.

Our main goal as journalists at the beginning of that year, was to find out more about just how strong that identity was – and to learn more about the man who was helping to forge it. (Our secondary objective was to get an interview with Arafat before 60 Minutes, which we did.)

After two days of waiting, negotiating and cajoling, we finally decided to spend a night at Arafat's office. At around 4 a.m. he arrived, by himself, and with no security. We saw a short, unimpressive-looking little man in a shabby khaki uniform. His inner office in central Amman was below ground – dingy, disorganized and cluttered.

He told us he did not want to be interviewed, that he was just another Palestinian soldier and that he was unimportant. Nevertheless, eventually he agreed to consider it and said he'd let us know the next day.

Word came to our hotel that he would meet us, but not in Amman. We were taken by jeep past two Jordanian checkpoints, to the outskirts of the city. After at least two hours of driving, we were blindfolded and eventually found ourselves in what appeared to be a cave. It was there that Arafat gave his first television interview to a North American network.

He was trying to pull together a ragtag collection of young men and women to build what he called a "credible" Palestinian military. Most of his recruits were illiterate youngsters, drawn from the teeming refugee camps of Jordan, Lebanon and Syria; some belonged to poorly trained, poorly armed militia factions, which ranged from conservative Muslim groups all the way to Marxist-Leninist and Communist organizations.

Arafat's own outfit, al-Fatah, was more or less middle-of-the road and was made up mainly of secular Palestinians, Christians and liberal Muslims. In fact, part of Arafat's appeal to the small Palestinian middle class, was his lack of religious zeal. But as one Palestinian intellectual told me, Abu Amar (Arafat's code name), was just the tip of the iceberg. She said that Palestine would someday be "liberated" with or without him.

One of the points Arafat made over and over to us in the interviews we did was that he believed it was wrong to build a state around a religious belief. His great desire, he said, was to create a secular, democratic Palestine, in which Jews, Muslims and Christians could live together in peace. He pointed out that Jesus Christ was a Jew and that the Prophet Muhammad respected all religions.

He insisted there was no reason why Jews and Arabs shouldn't get along together. "After all," he said, "We are all Semites." He went on, "It's not the Jews I am against," he said, "It's the philosophy of Zionism, which wants to take our land and return to the ancient Kingdom of Israel."

(Years later, when Arafat formed a close bond with the family of Yitzhak Rabin, I recalled his words about not being anti-Jewish.)

Palestinian leader, Yasser Arafat, inspects the bomb damage in the Arab University area of West Beirut Monday, Aug. 2, 1982 following the heavy bombardment by Israel the day before. (AP Photo/Mourad Raouf)

To us, back in 1969, fresh from the pro-Israel West, Arafat seemed exotic and a bit frightening; nevertheless we also found him charming and reasonable. He was thoughtful and intelligent in his conversations and he certainly had the respect of those around him.

But his proposed solutions to the regional conflict bore little relation to reality. And over the years, it has become apparent that his rapidly growing power and influence, combined with his appetite for one-man rule, would eventually be his downfall, and indeed the downfall of the Palestinian people.

Yasser Arafat's great failure, both as a guerrilla leader and as president of the Palestinian Authority, has been his inability or unwillingness to control the extremist elements within the Palestinian community. That failure to act against the fringes, discipline them and rein them in, resulted in the bloody expulsion of his forces from Jordan, in repeated clashes with the government of Lebanon, in the current disastrous intefadeh and, finally, in a gradual alienation of the international community.

Worst of all for Arafat's legacy as a leader, is that his authoritarian approach combined with his cronyism has also lost him the respect of much of the ordinary Palestinian community. Amira Hass writes in the Israeli newspaper Haartez, that one Palestinian official said Arafat's death by natural causes would be considered a solution of sorts. "When there is no internal change," he said, "people wait for an external one." No successor has been appointed or named and the next step will likely be up to the Palestinian parliament, which has the power to appoint an interim leader.
Source: www.cbc.ca

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
He has been poisoned. Why then they are not disclosing his illness. He was being treated by the best doctors in the best French hospital plus his own team. There is something suspicious there. It will come to light as his doctor of 25 years is asking for autopsy. Now if this doctor disappears just for asking for autopsy, you know there is something wrong.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
no it doesn't mean that to you and a lot of people. To me and some others, I was seeing it coming. It was the intention of Israel to liquidate him. They succeeded.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
His poisioning is not a rumor Rick. It's been all over the ME news. We are waiting for an autopsy in which will never happen.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
First we will not be able to get an autopsy. Second, his own doctor of 25 years from Jordan was not allowed to attend to him when he reached Paris. They ruled out Leukemia and any blood disorder. Sharon wants him dead. His wife screaming on Al-Jazeera saying "they want to bury Abu Amar alive" before an autopsy is done.

All of the above gives me a sense of him being poisoned. Now Israel will have to regret killing him because he was the only one that was able to make peace.

PS. assassination attempt today on Mahmoud Abbas shows that no one will take his place.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
moghrabi said:
First we will not be able to get an autopsy.
Concluding that from?

moghrabi said:
Second, his own doctor of 25 years from Jordan was not allowed to attend to him when he reached Paris.
Was that necessary? According to you, "he [Arafat] was being treated by the best doctors in the best French hospital plus his own team". What is the reason why his doctor was not allowed to him? How can you conclude that happened because "they" were hiding something from him?

moghrabi said:
They ruled out leukemia and any blood disorder.
Does this make poisoning the only reasonable assumption for Arafat's death?

moghrabi said:
Sharon wants him dead.
And?

moghrabi said:
His wife screaming on Al-Jazeera saying "they want to bury Abu Amar alive" before an autopsy is done.
As I recall, Suha Arafat also accused top Palestinian officials being responsible for his death. Does this mean we can conclude top Palestinian officials are behind Arafat's death?

I don't see how this al makes enough "sense" to "conclude" Arafat was poisoned, I really don't.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
He escaped 13 attempts on his life, 3 of them poisoning. So they got him this time. I understand your argument. But this is not the first time they tried to get him. I truly believe his death was not normal, otherwise why not release the cause of death?

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Re: RE: Arafat In French Hospital

moghrabi said:
He escaped 13 attempts on his life, 3 of them poisoning. So they got him this time. I understand your argument. But this is not the first time they tried to get him. I truly believe his death was not normal, otherwise why not release the cause of death?

I guess poisoning is possible, but really just shear speculation at this point. And if he was poisoned, it must have been an inside job, I doubt even Mossad had that kind of access to Arafat.

Seriously, the guy was 75 years old. People do die, you know. :(

Interesting article on Canoe this morning:

Speaking of even-handedness, Martin did not send a foreign minister to U.S. President Ronald Reagan's funeral earlier this year. The man who ended the Cold War without firing a shot, the most popular U.S. president in a generation, the one whose free trade treaty with Canada is the main source of our current wealth, the rejuvenator of the greatest democracy in the world, did not earn that respect.

But a gangster, the thief of a billion dollars in humanitarian aid, the serial rejecter of reasonable Palestinian statehood, the murderer of children did earn Canada's highest respects. That says more about our government than it does about Arafat.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Columnists/Calgary/Ezra_Levant/2004/11/15/714877.html

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Re: RE: Arafat In French Hospital

Just the Facts said:
moghrabi said:

I guess poisoning is possible, but really just shear speculation at this point. And if he was poisoned, it must have been an inside job, I doubt even Mossad had that kind of access to Arafat.

Seriously, the guy was 75 years old. People do die, you know. :(

Interesting article on Canoe this morning:

Speaking of even-handedness, Martin did not send a foreign minister to U.S. President Ronald Reagan's funeral earlier this year. The man who ended the Cold War without firing a shot, the most popular U.S. president in a generation, the one whose free trade treaty with Canada is the main source of our current wealth, the rejuvenator of the greatest democracy in the world, did not earn that respect.

But a gangster, the thief of a billion dollars in humanitarian aid, the serial rejecter of reasonable Palestinian statehood, the murderer of children did earn Canada's highest respects. That says more about our government than it does about Arafat.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Columnists/Calgary/Ezra_Levant/2004/11/15/714877.html

This writer is Jewish. What do you expect him to write.