Allawi, Bush & Cheney Are All Lying About Conditions in

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
09/23/2004
Allawi, Bush & Cheney Are All Lying About Conditions in Iraq
Sam Hamod

The puppet PM of Iraq, Iyad Allawi, his sponsors, President Bush and VP Dick Cheney are all lying to the American public about the real situation in Iraq. They say things are getting better, that most of Iraq could vote in an election tomorrow and that “democracy and freedom will prevail, without a doubt.” Nonsense! Out and out lies.

The Sunni Triangle, Sadr City, Najaf, Ramadi, Karbala, Mosul, Samarra—all of these important centers, even Kirkuk, which once seemed safe in the hands of the Kurds, have all become no-go zones for the American troops and the small number of Iraqis who dare venture in to be shot. America is bombing all of these places on an almost daily basis; thus, antagonizing more and more Iraqis and more Muslims throughout the world. As I said in an article months ago, America and its puppets around Allawi have succeeded in doing something that could not be done since the 700s, they have united the Sunni and Shi’a against America and its occupation army.

America and Allawi keep speaking about a “civil war breaking out” if America leaves. But from polls taken, most
Iraqis say they will take that chance, and all their leaders have made clear that they want the Americans out so they can pull their country together. This hardly sounds like “civil war.”

Bush and Allawi continue to lie, day after day, to the point that the American public, hearing these lies from the U.S. media now believes them. But, those on the ground who know enough to distrust the words of Allawi, know better. Finally, today, on MSNBC, the Baghdad chief of bureau for Newsweek, a Mr. Nordland, said, “Things are very bad, and many of the places that Mr. Allawi said are safe, are places I would not venture into.” This helps contradict Bush, Allawi and the sycophants who hang at the hotels and repeat Allawi’s words to the American media outlets for whom they work.

As anyone who has spent time in the Arab or Muslim world knows, you can tell a man’s honesty by his eyes; I’ve spent that kind of time there as has Robert Fisk and Patrick Cockburn and some others. They know what I know, Allawi is a big liar, not to be trusted about anything he says. He’s a cheap Arab con-man who may be useful to the neo-cons in D.C., but not good for the Iraqis. He was in exile for good reason, no one in Iraq wanted him there, neither Saddam or the religious leaders nor the people of Iraq. The only group that wanted him was the CIA; used them and they used him, now we have a mess on our hands with Allawi making it worse. I personally don't think he'll last that long, especially if he wanders outside of the American protected "green zone."

Today, Ayatollah Al Sistani criticized Allawi for his double dealing and said that the way things were going there could not be a legitimate election in Iraq. He also criticized the U.S. and Allawi for going back on their word and raiding the headquarters of Moqtada Al Sadr. Sistani said this will cause more resistance and fighting in Iraq not less.

The other contradiction this week that has not gone down well with honest critics of the Iraq situation is the Bush statement that “There are only a few hundred insurgents.”
Allawi later said, “There are thousands of foreign fighters coming in across the borders to fight in Iraq.” Add to this that many of us who know the Iraqi culture know for a fact that there are thousands of Iraqis who are fighting against America and Allawi because of the arrests of their relatives, the wounding and killing of family members or the destruction of their homes by American F 16s or Apache Helicopters or U.S. tanks. I’m sure by now, the Iraqi resistance fighters number in the hundreds of thousands, not simply a few hundred or a few thousand. Remember, as I have said before, people in a traditional society have long memories and close extended families who will seek revenge for those abused by Allawi or by the American troops.

Add to this the thousands of Muslims from around the world, from China, from Pakistan, from Afghanistan, from Uzbekistan, from Indonesia, from Egypt, from Syria, from Lebanon, who want to get to Iraq to fight the occupiers of their fellow Muslim country--and you can see that things will get worse rather than better in time.

Thus, clearly, things are worse in Iraq today than any time in the past decades. There is no clean drinking water in Iraq according to even NBC News; there is very little electricity (this from an expert from Qatar who went to help the situation a month ago); there is little security because a person may be killed while asleep from a U.S. rocket, a tank shell or bullets from an F16, or may be caught in a crossfire between resistance fighters and American troops.

As to the Iraqis becoming a security force—you can forget about that. They do not want to kill their neighbors or their cousins, or anyone else’s families for that matter because they know this will cause a blood feud with another family or tribe. One could see this when the "Iraqi Army" went over to the Iraqi resistance side and refused to fight their cousins or other Iraqis; the same was true in Najaf, in Sadr City and will be the case in other instances. The Iraqis will not fight for the Americans or the puppet Allawi.

They also know that when push comes to shove, the Americans will leave and they will be left alone to face the music; they also know that Allawi will not last that long either.

We have made a mess of Iraq; there is no freedom, no security and no democracy there. America has substituted a minor Saddam for the previous brutal Saddam and in the process has killed and maimed thousands of the populace with no apologies or regrets.

America is not welcome now, nor will it be welcome in Iraq for many decades to come. This is the truth; what Bush, Allawi and Cheney have to say is but a sack of lies.

It is time that the media started calling Allawi what he is, a Vichy style puppet for the Bush regime. They must also start calling Bush and Cheney what they are, liars. Unless the media does this, they will be as guilty as Bush when the house of cards and lies in Iraq comes crashing down on our troops, on our economy and on our integrity and reputation in the world. As it is, the Arabs and Muslims are sick of us. It won’t be long before the rest of the world joins them in disgust and disrespect.

To sum it all up, America is in deep trouble. We have a president and vice president who consistently lie to the people, using their “war on terror” as an abstraction that allows them to have a war without end to allegedly “protect us.”

In the meantime, they are taking away Constitutional and legal rights in America, just as Hitler did in Germany, “to protect our nation.”

They have installed in Iraq, Allawi, an exile who is their puppet and is no more legitimate than the Vichy government that Hitler installed in France in WWII.

The resistance fighters in Iraq who are defending their families, their homes and their country are called “terrorists,” but our troops who bomb civilians with F16s, tanks and Apache Gunships are called “freedom fighters.” Somehow, up is down and down is up and our media is doing little to help the public see the honest truth. We are in Alice in Wonderland.

Most media people do as Jim Lehrer of The News Hour on PBS does, they fawn over the Bushites and Allawi, treating them as if they are honest and honorable people who speak only the truth. I hope the American people wake up to the truth, but I may be an idealistic optimist. But I see no other way to save our democracy than for us to speak up to as many as we can. I hope you will pass this article on to others so that they may know the truth as well.

If we don’t have a major change in this election, I fear that if Bush is allowed another 4 years we won’t recognize our country by the time Bush, Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld,Rove, Feith, Wolfowitz, Perle, Hastert and Frist are done with it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Sam Hamod writes on world affairs; he is the former editor of 3rd World News in D.C., the former Director of The Islamic Center in D.C. and President of the American Islamic Institute. He may be reached at shamod@cox.net Look for his Essays In Times of War in 2005 (Ishmael Reed Publishing Co.)